PDA

View Full Version : journalism help....filling in form.

heyyo
04-02-2006, 17:25
have to fill in a application for a broadcast journalism job (radio based) i have limited experience and would basically need to discuss things in my application that are relevant and show that i understand journalism and the importance.

i am not a great writer as i am still learning, but i cant afford to miss this opportunity...

i am currently filling out the form, i would appreciate it someone on the forum could look over it, will be about a page of A4 and correct any mistakes and advise what i should perhaps remove/mention....???

the application asks

Awareness of News and Current Affairs, and proven ability to treat news stories in a way which appeals to the stationââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s under-35 British audience.

Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a small team, under the pressures of live broadcasting and to deal effectively with contributors and members of the public.

Proven knowledge and understanding of radio production techniques including tape/digital editing and studio production skills.

An understanding of the BBC Producer Guidelines and awareness of legal considerations applying to all types of output.

Ability to write, and edit the writing of colleagues, in a concise, conversational, accurate style.

Awareness of the wider radio marketplace, other BBC services.
Ability to manage relationships across the BBC and with Talent and Contributors.

You must be able to demonstrate the following:

Sound editorial judgement.

A deep understanding of the under-35 British target audience.

A minimum of 2 yearsââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ practical experience in broadcast or music production.

Experience of the demands of †˜liveâÃà ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€ž ¢ magazine programmes and the ability to contribute good topical ideas which will appeal to our target audience.

The ability to prioritise your own work

A willingness to share ideas, skills and knowledge with other team members and learn from others.

An awareness of Health and Safety issues in a multidisciplinary broadcast environment

Paul K
04-02-2006, 17:27
Why not post it as an attachment or copy it into a post and then you can have multiple points of view on it plus it will be easier to scan for errors etc

Russ
04-02-2006, 17:29
You could send it to me and I'll ask my radio journalist buddies to give it the once over ;)

jrhnewark
05-02-2006, 01:56
i am not a great writer as i am still learning, but i cant afford to miss this opportunity...Sorry, I don't want to be a barsteward and totally quash your hopes, but you really do need good written language skills to be of any use as a broadcast journalist.

Do you have any qualifications? How much experience? :)

Pia
05-02-2006, 02:17
i am not a great writer as i am still learning, but i cant afford to miss this opportunity...Sorry, I don't want to be a barsteward and totally quash your hopes, but you really do need good written language skills to be of any use as a broadcast journalist.

Do you have any qualifications? How much experience? :)

:erm: Are you the interviewer?!:scratch:

I think the OP is trying to gain the experience, hence the application.

Good Luck Heyyo, hope you get it:D

jrhnewark
05-02-2006, 02:41
:erm: Are you the interviewer?!:scratch:

I think the OP is trying to gain the experience, hence the application.

Good Luck Heyyo, hope you get it:DEr, no, but I do work in radio (albeit not as a hack, but it is my ambition to go into journalism - which will probably involve a nice piece of paper saying either under- or post-graduate..).. it's possible to spot someone with journalistic credentials, an admittance to "not being a great writer" isn't one that stands out from the crowd. If the OP just means he's not quite as consise as he might like to be, that's not so bad - if it means his written and spoken English skills aren't quite as high as he might like them to be, that is bad.

I think the OP is trying to get a job and although, if he gets it, he'll probably learn on-the-job, he also needs to know how to do the job before applying for it!

Sorry - I'm not trying to be overly-critical, just realistic. :)

---------- Post added at 02:41 ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 ----------

You could send it to me and I'll ask my radio journalist buddies to give it the once over ;)I heard Craig reading the news last RSL - he was quite good!! :D