PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroup upload file size restriction?

haelen
03-02-2006, 11:35
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a file size restriction imposed on uploads to newsgroups?

TIA,
Tim

Web-Junkie
03-02-2006, 15:06
If you mean NTL newsgroups, i'm not aware of any limits!

If you mean Premium News, depends on the News Provider and what subscription type you have!

Many don't have any restrictions on upload size and some have upload limits per day, but etiquette dictates posting files in sensible sizes and not in one great big chunk, helps prevent data loss and better propagation of files. Also, yEnc is now the prefered encoding method for posting to usenet.

haelen
03-02-2006, 16:42
Yes, NTL. I was going to use yEnc, but what sort of sizes are acceptable is 5mb per post excessive?

homealone
03-02-2006, 18:10
Yes, NTL. I was going to use yEnc, but what sort of sizes are acceptable is 5mb per post excessive?

just had a look in a binary group, 208KB seems to be a popular size for each of the seperate parts of a yEnc encoded file.

zing_deleted
03-02-2006, 18:16
how does that convert to actual file size?
I use winrar and split to 14 meg for cd sized files(linux;) Fotos of my cat etc) and below and 50 meg for above cd sized files(big linux:) videos of my cat).I also post 15 % parity files.I upload using powerpost
I would not condone file sharing in any way or form :)

homealone
03-02-2006, 18:26
how does that convert to actual file size?
I use winrar and split to 14 meg for cd sized files(linux;) Fotos of my cat etc) and below and 50 meg for above cd sized files(big linux:) videos of my cat).I also post 15 % parity files.I upload using powerpost
I would not condone file sharing in any way or form :)

tbh I don't know, Zingle, I don't do any NG uploading, myself, just download old Sci-Fi books. (ones where I have the originals, of course ;) )

grubbymitts
04-02-2006, 09:52
A big warning if you upload anything illegal onto the newsgroups via your ISP - some troll will always report you to your ISP for abuse.

Obviously pictures of your cat/linux distros/an mp3 of you singing your own songs or a DVD of you acting in your own written production shouldn't be moaned at ;)

haelen
04-02-2006, 13:56
OK, cool. Thanks for all your help.