PDA

View Full Version : Telephone SPAM !!!

Bluffdemon
02-02-2006, 08:40
Hi

We have had Ntl for over a year now and the phone service has been great and no problems at all ....until now we are now bombarded with people calling us and trying to sell us ...CRAP like new windows, new mobile phones , in the past two weeks we have had about 20 calls on this type of junk and its now beyond a joke , the last one was last night at about 5pm the asian guy said he was calling from LONDON ( why from there i don't know ) and he was trying to sell me a new mobile phone i told him i was not interested at all and put the phone down like i do , last sunday morning at about 9am i had another saying my post code had been picked and before i let her carry on i told her i don't want any of her crap and put the phone down ( not nice i know But)

So that is just a taste of whats been happening and is there anything i can do about it ?? as its really %$^&$£%%% me off as it seems my phone number is passed around various company's and they just want to sell me crap , i would rather go out and look for things to buy than people ringing me :mad::mad:

Cheers

A n t h o n y

Paul K
02-02-2006, 08:47
Get yourself on this list
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
to start with. It will take 28 days to become fully active but if anyone rings you up just tell them you are on the TPS list and that this is an unsolicited call. Soon shuts them up.
ALso don't blame NTL for all of this, unfortunately companys will often use telephone directory software/ databases that show ex-directory numbers etc and they don't care who they call. Also be very careful if you hand over personal details on websites, always look into their privacy policy and make sure that if a box is there that stops your details being passed on to 3rd partys that you use it.

Bluffdemon
02-02-2006, 08:55
Hi

Many thanks for your info looks like a great idea !! also i was not really blaming ntl i was just stating that the service from them had been great until now as i did not have any idea on how people like that get hold of my number and maybe ntl had a procedure to deal with this

Cheers

A n t h o n y

Paul K
02-02-2006, 09:13
Unfortunately there are companies out there that go through electoral rolls, telephone directories etc and create CD/DVDs that contain all the telephone and contact details for everyone in the country more or less :( Most call centers will respect the TPS system but there are many that ignore it or use the old "market research not sale" BS to get around it.
Nice isn't it (http://www.192.com/products/)
One thing I will say though is to be careful on all sites as to what info you give and if there is a tick box to stop your details being passed on then use it. Your personal data is yours to protect and if you aren't careful you will end up with it sprayed everywhere :(

ginnie
02-02-2006, 09:41
Thanks I have registered too ;)

Russ
02-02-2006, 11:48
Te TPS doesn't gaurantee anything - I signed up in august and 20 minutes ago I had a call from some Indian guys from London Mobiles trying to flog me a phone.

Yes, I'm reporting them.

ultimate
02-02-2006, 13:03
Don't think TPS can control callers from overseas, despite I am registered with TPS a few years ago, I had calls from Ireland, Spain, and India. On the TPS site, there is also a number which you can ring to prevent silent calls, don't know whether it is any good, I registered today.

Nugget
02-02-2006, 13:04
Te TPS doesn't gaurantee anything - I signed up in august and 20 minutes ago I had a call from some Indian guys from London Mobiles trying to flog me a phone.

Yes, I'm reporting them.

Well, if you will insist on leaving your number in all of those phone boxes, this sort of thing was bound to happen eventually ;)

Russ
02-02-2006, 13:22
Ah shurrup.

Nugget
02-02-2006, 13:55
Ah shurrup.

I'm just saying - cause and effect, and all that :PP:

Hom3r
02-02-2006, 15:03
Do what we do, say 'Not interested' then hang up.

Russ
02-02-2006, 15:11
Do what we do, say 'Not interested' then hang up.

I disagree - just waste their time.

Listen to their whole sales pitch, feign interest at all times then when they ask for your name just tell them you're not interested and just wanted to waste their time.

It annoys them no end!

Mails Crushed
02-02-2006, 15:28

Listen to their whole sales pitch, feign interest at all times then when they ask for your name just tell them you're not interested and just wanted to waste their time.

It annoys them no end!

I told them "Good timing I want to buy 2 new phones, hold on a sec to get my Credit Card ..." they held for 40 minutes...I nevers spoke to them again

Bluffdemon
02-02-2006, 18:15

It annoys them no end!

:D:D:D Great idea must try that next time !!! they need to be taught a lesson lol

Anthony

handyman
02-02-2006, 18:48
I like listening to sales calls, then I cut them off :)

dragon
02-02-2006, 19:00
I told them "Good timing I want to buy 2 new phones, hold on a sec to get my Credit Card ..." they held for 40 minutes...I nevers spoke to them again

:rofl: Thats one of the best ones i've heard.

Hom3r
02-02-2006, 19:04
What annoys me is they know my full name.

What P*$$es me of is they they try and say my name (with Indian accent) for about 5 mins. thats why I hang up.

Chimaera
02-02-2006, 19:37
http://www.xs4all.nl/~egbg/counterscript.html

I saw this in the paper today - print out the script and go through it if you would like a structured conversation with the nuisance caller! :rofl: :angel:

marky
02-02-2006, 20:23

I saw this in the paper today - print out the script and go through it if you would like a structured conversation with the nuisance caller! :rofl: :angel:

Nice, very nice :tu:

Maggy
02-02-2006, 22:20
Oh I haven't got time to waste on all that malarky.Besides the hall's too bluddy cold at this time of year.I just growl TPS and hang up.If I get more than one call then I may ask again for the name of the company and write it down muttering TPS.After that the answer phone goes on.As it has a horribly creepy computerised amercan recorded message,no one ever hangs around long enough to listen. :)

xathras
02-02-2006, 22:30

Yes, I'm reporting them.

There are companies that us 'international' call centres to get round it. Also for those companies who abide to the code of conduct of the TPS if they are found to be making calls they can be fined.

dragon
02-02-2006, 22:35
the one that caught me out a few times was BT's SMS > Voice service i used to hear that trumpet noise it makes think it was one of those "you have won" type scams and hang up :Yikes:

it was only when someone else anwsered the phone and actully bothered to listen to it we found out it was someone sending an SMS to the landline number :eeek:

Didnt even know it was possible to do that before we got called by the SMS > Voice thing!

King Of Fools
02-02-2006, 23:54
There are companies that us 'international' call centres to get round it. Also for those companies who abide to the code of conduct of the TPS if they are found to be making calls they can be fined. Number of numbers subscribed to the Telephone Preference Service:

Number of people who have complained formally to the TPS about a caller:

Number of times enforcement action has been undertaken by the
Information Commissioner:

(Figures from Lib Dem spokesman on "Wake Up to Money" on BBC R5)

SLM
03-02-2006, 00:09
You can also get anonymous call baring put on your phone free but one draw back is if say your bank wants to call you, they can not get through.

xathras
03-02-2006, 00:30
it can be over-ridden by 1470 so they will reveal business telephone number.

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

the reality is like the american food commisioning that can fine to, they dont because it effects the people that fund the sector, that fund the government and make the economy tick.

slighty different with ICSTIS since they deal with people who rip you off

marky
03-02-2006, 00:31
I say hello, if i dont get an imediate answer i hang up, simple :)

xathras
03-02-2006, 00:35
I say hello, if i dont get an imediate answer i hang up, simple :)

good point get rid of those automated dialler calls.

For those who don't know the dialler will ring a rang of numbers and if someone is available they will connect to you otherwise line goes dead

marky
03-02-2006, 00:42
It also takes a few seconds to connect to the slime, sorry idiot, sorry i got it right first time :D

Gareth
03-02-2006, 11:22
Anyone know the number of the Flirt Divert thing that some bland Radio 1 DJ uses... the bloke in the evening when I'm driving home, so around 5-ish.

He has a mobile set up to go to voicemail, and the idea is that you give this number out if you're being chatted-up by a minger in the pub who asks you for your number. Then they broadcast the best (or worst!) messages left... some of 'em are well weird.

I still get the odd call, despite being with TPS, so I might get them to call me back on a mobile number instead ;)

Pia
05-02-2006, 23:41
Anyone know the number of the Flirt Divert thing that some bland Radio 1 DJ uses... the bloke in the evening when I'm driving home, so around 5-ish.

He has a mobile set up to go to voicemail, and the idea is that you give this number out if you're being chatted-up by a minger in the pub who asks you for your number. Then they broadcast the best (or worst!) messages left... some of 'em are well weird.

I still get the odd call, despite being with TPS, so I might get them to call me back on a mobile number instead ;)
LOL, it's Scott Mills you're thinking of, and the number is 07770 756 408.

Have fun:D

edit= more info at this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/features/flirt_divert.shtml

dragon
05-02-2006, 23:50
LOL, it's Scott Mills you're thinking of, and the number is 07770 756 408.

Have fun:D

edit= more info at this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/scottmills/features/flirt_divert.shtml

LMAO now that would be funny except for 1 problem, most of these telesales/cold callers dont usally bother leaving a message.

Gareth
06-02-2006, 00:02
Damn, didn't think of that.... maybe we could get them to call someone who's a 3 customer, so that they will get free calls (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/25/3_giveaway/) :D

Stuart
06-02-2006, 00:17
it can be over-ridden by 1470 so they will reveal business telephone number.

Certain switchboards either don't allow that number to be used, or don't broadcast their number at all. Hospitals for instance. I think the reasoning is that if a hospital phones someone and they don't pick up, they may not want other people knowing.

The switchboard we have at work either broadcasts no number, or broadcasts an unattended Central London number, depending on which network access point handles the call.

BTW, I work for a Uni, so we dont do cold calling.

SMHarman
06-02-2006, 02:15

I saw another of these, a more formal script that went through questions like is this sales / marketing > what is the freephone number I can call you back on etc to gain the data the TPS might want or you might want if you find their calls harassing. Can I find the link now / the heck I can.

UncleBooBoo
06-02-2006, 18:05
Just had a paki call me from LONDON MOBILES!

Guess NTL have sold our details to them as I seen a post on here somewhere about this company!

Oppps am I allowed to say paki? or does that make me a racist? :dozey:

Hell if the president of the US can say it why can't I! :D

Russ
06-02-2006, 18:12
Just had a paki call me from LONDON MOBILES!

Guess NTL have sold our details to them as I seen a post on here somewhere about this company!

Oppps am I allowed to say paki? or does that make me a racist? :dozey:

Hell if the president of the US can say it why can't I! :D

The guy you spoke to was actually INDIAN - I know as I'm in the process of helping the TPS take action against them.

If you mean 'Paki' as in the abbreviation for someone from Pakistan then you were incorrect. If you meant it in the way that the guy had a deep voice and accent which sounded Asian and you assume anyone with that can be collectively described as 'Paki' then go get a life before one of the team bans your @rse for being offensive.

UncleBooBoo
06-02-2006, 18:15
Hell I don't know if he was asian, indian or english!

Telling you what he sounded like to me!

On another note why are NTL selling our details to companies like this?
(No proof that this is the case before you ask)

But they prob got the details from NTL, unless it is affecting bt customers too!

Russ
06-02-2006, 18:18
Hell I don't know if he was asian, indian or english

Telling you what he sounded like to me!!

In which case please don't refer to people like that as a 'Paki' please. I don't care if the US President can say it as you mention - CF has rules.

On another note why are NTL selling our details to companies like this?
(No proof that this is the case before you ask)

Your second line answered your question. And in any case, that's off topic. Go and set up a different thread if you want to discuss that please.

UncleBooBoo
06-02-2006, 18:19
Ouch...I've been told! :dozey:

King Of Fools
06-02-2006, 18:26
No they would just be generating the number automatically and you would have as much chance being rung as a BT customer.

UncleBooBoo
06-02-2006, 18:28
Ntl do sell our details to these companies. There is a thread with a link on CF!

However this does not mean that is what has happend in this case I know.

Telephone SPAM is a big problem in the UK, without phone companies helping them do it!

Chris W
06-02-2006, 18:41
Ntl do sell our details to these companies. There is a thread with a link on CF!

However this does not mean that is what has happend in this case I know.

Telephone SPAM is a big problem in the UK, without phone companies helping them do it!

where is this thead... i have had a quick look but can't find it so a link would be appreciated.

UncleBooBoo
06-02-2006, 18:41
Give me a second I will post it here in a moment!

EDIT: Here you go!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=41895&highlight=NTL+Customer+Details

SLM
06-02-2006, 19:16
The only time ntl sell your details is when you have given permission, and a big one is that if you do not tick that little box to say you do not want any sort of contact YOU have given that permission so the only thing to do is ring ntl and ask for your details to be restricted. (this also applies to all the other companies you deal with)