PDA

View Full Version : FTP Webspace unavailable

O Wot Fun
26-06-2003, 15:49
Hi
I am unable to connect any FTP client app to ftp://upload.ntlworld.com. Some return an error message immediately that the Server has dropped the connection, one of them (Anarchie) can get as far as attempting to login (USER/PASS) but gets no further -- it waits indefinitely for a response to the password (nb: no response, NOT a rejected password).

I use the same tools to maintain another website at mailbox.co.uk, and have done so for many years, so there's no problem with my machine or net connection.

The problem is either that the URL etc on NTL's Internet Setting page is wrong, or that there is a problem with their ftp servers.

Can anyone offer any ideas? I've been getting Blank from NTL Help/Customer Service for a month and a half now.

cheers
darcy
---
relevant tech.details: 56k modem connecting at 45,333 (usually), MacOS
transcript:
220-
220-################################################## ################
220-
220- Welcome to upload.ntlworld.com
220-
220-################################################## ################
220-
220 upload.ntlworld.com FTP server ready
USER coonawarra
331 Password required for coonawarra.
PASS *****
<waits indefinitely>

Mark D
26-06-2003, 21:56
If you use IE on your Mac, type ftp://user.name:password@upload.ntlworld.com into the address bar. (changing user.name and password for yours obviously)

If you still do not connect then only ntl tech support can sort it out. Usually by removing the webspace and adding it back. I hope you have your webspace backed up?

O Wot Fun
27-06-2003, 12:54
Yeah, i have tried this previously in 2 versions of IE and 2 versions of Netscape. They all report that the server drops the connection except for IE 4.5 which states I must supply a password.
I have tried the same standard ftp access using Fetch and 2 versions of Anarchie. Fetch can not even get to the authentication stage, while Anarchie waits indefinitely on a response to the PASS message.
I have _never_ been able to access my webspace since I signed up so I have nothing to back up...

Customer Service want me to ring some Premium number for "tech.support", which I object to. This sort of problem could easily take half an hour or more to get past someone repeatedly insisting i restart or that it's not possible unless i use their windows ftp app.

The only other people with NTL who i know can connect to their webspace are using Cable Modems. Can anyone confirm that they are able to connect to their ntl webspace using a normal modem dialup connection?

Mark D
27-06-2003, 18:43
Wot Fun -

You do not need to call premium as you say it has never worked from day 1.

You do not pay for webspace as ntl says it is free. So they may try to argue this with you.

Maybe the best way would be to locate a helpful ntl tech via this site or via the .com site (while you still can), and they will be able to sort it for you.

ntlrebel
27-06-2003, 18:50
Pm me some details and i'll check for you.:p

imback
27-06-2003, 18:50
put this into your Ie address bar (but with your details of course)

ftp://user.name:yourpassword@upload.ntlworld.com

See if that works.

ntlrebel
27-06-2003, 19:01
Try again now. Should all be sorted.:D :p

O Wot Fun
27-06-2003, 20:40
well, i just checked the forum again, saw the "try again now" post, and gave it a go

wahey! straight in, clean as a whistle
i didn't provide any details but i assume "ntlrebel" did the deed -- many thanks, that man!

if i might make so bold, what was the actual problem?

Mark D
28-06-2003, 01:48
Originally posted by O Wot Fun
well, i just checked the forum again, saw the "try again now" post, and gave it a go

i didn't provide any details but i assume "ntlrebel" did the deed -- many thanks, that man!

Just thanks to that man???? ;)

ntlrebel
28-06-2003, 12:09
Originally posted by O Wot Fun

Thanks for the thanks.:p
Have to admit though, it was a problem our end.:rolleyes: :p