PDA

View Full Version : Bloody NTL tech support/Customer services

J0nnymac
01-02-2006, 12:00
I am a customer of the NTL 1mb broadband service. Over the past few weeks i have been aware of a really slow connection. So much so that I finally decided to determine exactly what the speed of the connection was. Determining it to be less than 256k i phoned ntl to confirm my 1mb package. Being confirmed, I was then told to contact technical support. I phoned the helpline and was connected to an indian call centre. I explained my situation to the lady and after much persuasion she performed a speed test ( up to this point she kept repeating that my connection was fine despite any protestation i made) which showed that my speed was approximately 50kb per second. The lady then told me that this was the correct speed for 1mb connection and would i like to buy a more expensive, faster package. I informed the lady that the speed test confirmed that did not have a 1mb connection. She then assured me that it was the correct speed and again invited me to buy a more expensive package. Working in the I.T industry i was able to prove to her that it was not the correct speed. With that she then me that I was indeed correct and i wasnt getting the correct speed. She then told me that i was connected to the wrong server for my package. I then asked how long i had been connected to this server and therefore how long i had been paying for a 1mb service when i was receiving significantly less. The lady refused to answer the question, simply responding with silence when i raised the question. Ignoring my question, she then told me to wait half an hour and try again. I told her that i was unhappy with the service and rang off. Following this i phoned customer services to complain that effectively rather than check the problem i had, the tech support had attempted twice to fob me off (i suspect strongly the lady willfully lied to me) and suggest that the only way to fix the problem was to buy a more expensive package. I spoke to a lady in a welsh call centre called Jo. Jo apologised that i had a bad experience and suggested that i simply phone tech support again. I wasnt happy with that response to the complaint, as effectively Jo was suggesting that i simply keep trying until i found someone who was competent. Also she did nothing to address the fact that one of the support staff had simply attempted to fob me off and attempt to lull me into buying a more expensive package. Also nothing was done to address how long i had been connected to an inferior service to that which i was paying for. After unsuccessfully attempting to raise these points with Jo, i asked if i could speak to her supervisor. She said "no." and then put the phone down on me. I am now unsure of what to do as they do not seem to have a complaints dept that cares what level of mistreatment NTL support staff give customers. The customer service centre seems as incompetent and unwilling to be of help as there technical service centre:erm:

Aragorn
01-02-2006, 13:44
:welcome: to CF

I can't answer for tech support or cust services but I can suggest the following -

Use the speedtest above to see what you're currently getting.
If you have an Ambit CableModem (silver type) you can check the current maximum speed. (Browse to 192.168.100.1 (user - root, pwd - root) and click on 'Operation Configuration' on left side. This shows "Maximum Downstream Data Rate" in bps.
Use the 'ResponseTek (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=81)' feedback system to highlight you concerns back to NTL.

Hth (a bit)