PDA

View Full Version : Now i see what NThell means

Bill C
30-01-2006, 19:57
OK the back ground to this sorry tale.

Since i left NTL i have had 2 dealings with Customer service, Both have not gone well. I now see why some can get upset on this forum with Ntl customer service.

OK so here we go. I have been asked to post this by my Sister and Father.

In December my sister who lives in Nuneaton phoned Ntl customer service to inform them she would be moving house in January. They put her in touch with Moves and Transfers who said they would turn up on the morning of the 26-01-2006 to install the phone and broadband in her new house " my sister has Sky+ for her TV". They would also transfer the NTL telephone line and number on that day. My sister informed them that Sky would be there in the afternoon to reinstall her TV and that Sky had told her it would be £50 if they could NOT complete the reinstall.

The 26-01-2006 came and by 3.00 o'clock in the afternoon no NTL. My sister then started to phone customer service. At 3.15 Sky turned up but would not install the sky+ and multi room as there was no telephone line. So now my sister has a £50.00 bill from Sky. 3.25 she gets through to customer service and she explains what had transpired, they inform her they know nothing about the move and that they will get the installation manager to phone her IF HE WAS NOT BUSY ?. For the rest of that day no phone call from NTL.

Friday she phones them to be told there was nothing that could be done till they had spoken to the installation manager and they would return the call HONEST ?. No call for the rest of that day.

OK so Saturday comes and she phones them again to be told there is Nothing they can do as the installation manager is not in till Monday.

Monday 9.00 am.

she phones and asks to speak to a manager. she is told that no manager is about to be able to talk to her. She explains every thing that has gone on again ? and that there is a 80 year old man in the house who is not in the best of health. They tell her that they have no record of any calls and that she cannot have a reinstall till 10-02-2006 :Yikes: . She then says no way she wants it sooner than that.

Its at this point i start to get very upset with what they tell her next. They tell her that as she does not want the day they told her the only thing they can suggest is she can disconnect and go else where.

So Answers on a post card who she has phoned this afternoon to request a new telephone line.

I did offer to get this dealt with via the excellent staff on this board however her last words on the subject were.

No why should i have to do it that way, I should be able to do this by phoning customer service.

I think it will be a cold day in hell when my sister even thinks of having NTL again :(

I have in the past looked at some of the stories on this forum with a skeptical feeling, But NO MORE

MovedGoalPosts
30-01-2006, 20:01
Not a lot I can say to that. It could be escalated, but you indicate you don't want to go that route. You can give ntl a piece of your mind via Responsetek :(

Now you know why Cable Forum, and it's predecessors exist ;)

Bill C
30-01-2006, 20:04
Not a lot I can say to that. It could be escalated, but you indicate you don't want to go that route. You can give ntl a piece of your mind via Responsetek :(

Now you know why Cable Forum, and it's predecessors exist ;)

To be truthfull i will be making a call tomorrow, I still have the direct dial number of a certain person in Manchester.

Chimaera
30-01-2006, 20:17
Well I found Responsetek to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard. When I used it I got an email back 5 days later giving me a phone number in CS and telling me to call that to resolve any issues - that was the number I dialled originally, got cr@p service, and was the reason for using Responsetek in the first place! :rofl:

Maggy
30-01-2006, 21:35
<Snip>

Give your sister a green rep from me as she is soooo right. ;)

SLM
30-01-2006, 23:50
Even if your sister goes else where I think you should escalate this, sometimes I wonder why ntl are still in business when you here stories like this, luckily there are only a few bad eggs in CS and only a very low % of customers have experiences like this.

Enuff
31-01-2006, 00:21
It makes your blood boil!

punky
31-01-2006, 00:38
Even if your sister goes else where I think you should escalate this, sometimes I wonder why ntl are still in business when you here stories like this, luckily there are only a few bad eggs in CS and only a very low % of customers have experiences like this.

I'm sure the bosses of the people involved would love to know what their employees are doing, but... as noones names are on file, I doubt it would do any good.

UncleBooBoo
31-01-2006, 01:10

You got that back to front my friend! there are many bad eggs and just a few good ones!

And why should she have to escalate anything, she is or at least was a paying customer, she should not have to spend her time dealing with a company who can't be bothered or just don't want her custom!

Bill C
31-01-2006, 08:06
Ok

Update. My sister phoned me on her mobile about 10 last night to let me know that BT will be installing a new line on Monday. I have informed her of this website and the posting i have made on her behalf and she said she will post on here when her broadband is sorted as well.

Its such a shock to see that BT can install a New line faster than NTL can reinstall a line to a house that has NTL already installed and said they cannot do it before the 10th of Feb. :Yikes:

handyman
31-01-2006, 10:23
Even though she is not a customer she needs to make sure that she gets that £50 back from ntl.

Stupid thing is they had 2 very capable systems in icms and cablemaster that left foot prints in each time a CSR went in the account. Also It produced statistics of the ratio of accounts noted by CSR's You have to get this very high to be able to get bonus's etc.

Now I know for a fact they had had problems noting accounts with harmony, why can they not roll back to a system that worked?

quadplay
31-01-2006, 11:14
It's a bit late for rollback! Harmony has been billing real live accounts for Telco, Broadband and TV for years now. Although Bromley areas (in which I assume Bill's sister lives, as he does), as it happens, are still billed by ICMS - which still leaves a footprint every time someone accesses an account.

(EDIT: Bill, if you want me to have a quick look into this and find out some names, let me know)

handyman
31-01-2006, 11:40
To be honest the harmony project is the biggest joke ever. I remember they had an out sourced project for joining together the billing systems that they spent millions on then dedeided to bring it in house with harmony. As I recall harmony was initially gonna cost £20,000,000 and when I left in Sept 2003 was only still being trialled and had plowed through nearly £80,000,000. I guess the project has cost more than that.

Derek
31-01-2006, 11:54
To be honest the harmony project is the biggest joke ever.

Yup :tu:

When I started with Ntl in Feb 2003 the system we used was going to be on Harmony by July.
Just before I left in December 2004 we got training on Harmony from two people who didn't have a clue how it worked.
When I actually did escape it had been put back again till late 2005.

Even when it did work it didn't have half the capability of the other systems.

Bill C
31-01-2006, 12:15
It's a bit late for rollback! Harmony has been billing real live accounts for Telco, Broadband and TV for years now. Although Bromley areas (in which I assume Bill's sister lives, as he does), as it happens, are still billed by ICMS - which still leaves a footprint every time someone accesses an account.

(EDIT: Bill, if you want me to have a quick look into this and find out some names, let me know)

I have someone in Manchester ;) looking into this at the moment. I think there is about to be a rocket up someones back-end. :)

My sister is on to them at the moment asking for the £50.00 back for the missed Sky appointment.

Thanks for the offer of help.

Chris
31-01-2006, 12:19
I have someone in Manchester ;) looking into this at the moment. I think there is about to be a rocket up someone's backend. :)

What I find impossible to understand, in situations like this, is how it's possible for the moves and transfers dept to have no record. For that to happen, the person your sis spoke to would have to have hung up and then decided s/he basically couldn't be @rsed to do anything about it. Or are the computer systems so bad that these things go missing even when they are recorded?

handyman
31-01-2006, 13:32
What I find impossible to understand, in situations like this, is how it's possible for the moves and transfers dept to have no record. For that to happen, the person your sis spoke to would have to have hung up and then decided s/he basically couldn't be @rsed to do anything about it. Or are the computer systems so bad that these things go missing even when they are recorded?

The computer systems are fairly complex, imagine the old system where the most recent 5 items added (work orders etc) appeared in the top left of the screen.

Sometimes they got posted incorrectly and did not show up there but where still active. Those noobs that only knew little about the system would incorrectly assume there was nothing there and re book this could have implecations on the 1st booking etc. Sometimes other departments would see this assume both where cocked up and cancel both jobs.

All it takes is a experienced member of staff to dig through the records and piece together what has happened and correct it unfortunatly ntl are short on them.

keithscott2001
01-02-2006, 13:00
I'll just add to this because i'm having a nightmare trying to move services too! currently live with parents where they pay for phone line via a monthly bill and i have a separate account for broadband and pay this via direct debit. So i'm moving out and want to take broadband with me and fill in transfer form on homepage and hear nothing!

Ring up CS day before its supposedly coming to be installed at new house and am told that they'll get someone to ring me back to confirm whether or not engineeer is coming out. No call for two days/no installation then I am told by someone who didn't understand english very well that the two accounts had been merged but they would sort out an install for broadband at my new house and gave me date and everything.

Then this morning my parents receive a letter thanking them for their request for broadband and it will be installed this weekend in a house that already has it and they have no use for it at all!

So back onto CS and am now told that cannot separate the two accounts and if i want to take just broadband to new house then i'll need to set up entirely new account so i do that and hopefully should be installed this weekend!

I have a couple of questions that i've just thought of though!

1. Will i have to pay the double payment in the first month even though i've already paid for the broadband at the old address?

2. Why couldn't the first person i spoke to about aranging the move tell me that i couldn't move the broadband only?

And finally

3. will i be tied into a new one year contract even though i had the old broadbanf for at least two years before i moved house?

All help appreciated from this excellent forum!