PDA

View Full Version : What do you like in Pubs?

Stuart
29-01-2006, 23:53
Based upon this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=678161#post678161) thread, what facilities do you like in Pubs? Music? Dancing? Games (Pool, Darts, video games or fruitmachines)? TV?

Or do you prefer a quiet pub you can just sit in and talk.

Russ
29-01-2006, 23:56
Depends what mood I'm in. If I want to watch a football game then obviously it'll need to have a tv. If I want a good laugh with some mates then music is a neccessity.

But if I just want to be on my own to read a book or something then peace and quiet is a must.

Stuart
29-01-2006, 23:59
Have put a poll in now..

Anyway, I am actually the same as you. Sometimes I like a pub with music, sometimes I don't.

Matthew
30-01-2006, 00:02
I prefer music playing in the background when in the pub but it depends on what type of pub it is.

Macca371
30-01-2006, 00:04
Loud music (not live) and dancefloor

punky
30-01-2006, 00:05
I tend to prefer quiet pubs, but a bit of quiet music in the background doesn't do any harm, so long as you can talk over it without shouting.

What I really like in pubs above everything else are nice comfy chairs, and a good menu. Nice carpet and wallpaper are bonuses.

Hom3r
30-01-2006, 00:09
If pubs have music it should be quite background music, so that you can talk to the people you are with.

If you want loud music and a dancefloor go to a disco.

I would likw a quite pub with no smoking and cheap booze, and busty good looking barmaids, wearing skimpy clothes (off for a cold Bath)

Macca371
30-01-2006, 00:11
If you want loud music and a dancefloor go to a disco.

None are open in the day :(

danielf
30-01-2006, 00:12
When going for the footie, then obviously the telly. I don't mind background music, as long as it's just that background music. I like to have a conversation in the pub (live music is an exception though). Decent food is a plus, as is a landlord who cares about the beer. Oh, and I like a quiz...

Macca371
30-01-2006, 00:12
I suppose it does depend on my mood actually. I like coming to the pub when I have a free period at college and having a chat with friends.

Halcyon
30-01-2006, 00:16
Coming back through town every Friday I see the city pubs filling up and hear the dodgy vocals of someone attempting their kareoke version of Celine Dion. I can't stand pubs like this.
Maybe once for a laugh with some friends but not to have a drink and catch up with people.

I dont like the dance pubs either. IMO you cant really dance in a pub. Bottles end up all over the place, there are drunks coming and going. Not really my thing. For dancing, I'd rather go to a proper club where all people want to do is dance, not get drunk and attempt to dance.

I like small country pubs. The pubs that when you enter you can say Hi to other people and actually be heard. A pub where there is a good selection of pub meals...and I mean not meals that come straight out the microwave, a good selection of food, as you catch up with your friends and family, next to an open fire.

I dont tend to go into many pubs as I dont like the smoke from people smoking, but from time to time I'l go out for a pub meal.

Stuart
30-01-2006, 00:21
I just added an extra option: Friendly bar staff.

I personally find that a pub can have the best facilities in the area, but if the bar staff aren't friendly, I won't go back there.

One pub I went to, just over the road from what must be my favourite pub, was quiet, has nice beer and nice seating. Sadly, because the Barmaid was not only not friendly, she was downright rude, I won't be going back there.

In a way, I should be thankful, as that's what made me go to what is now my favourite pub.

Angua
30-01-2006, 00:24
Most people so far don't seem to care about the attitude of the staff (silly me missed Stuarts post :rolleyes: )

Pubs which are good places for TV IMHO are "estate" type pubs with large rooms.

I am lucky with 5 very different pubs all within staggering distance. :D

Stuart
30-01-2006, 00:26
In fairness, I only added that option a couple of minutes ago..

Paul
30-01-2006, 00:28
I don't mind music as long as it's not too loud.

punky
30-01-2006, 00:31
Most people so far don't seem to care about the attitude of the staff :rolleyes:

Well, i'm really shy so i'm not a sociable person amongst strangers, so I don't really care so long as they serve me what I want in a timely manner.

I suppose if I was loner wanting to prop up a bar and desperate to chat to someone, it might make a difference.

Halcyon
30-01-2006, 00:43
I find how the staff and managment are towards you is a very important crieteria wherever I go, but especially in the restaurant and food industry.
I'ts the first person you see and they should make a good impression.

For example if you go to a pub or restaurant, I'd expect the staff to notice me coming in and asking what I would like, showing me the menu, where to sit, etc.
In one pub I went to I was actively at the bar waiting to place my order and the staff were just talking away as if they were in a dream world.
I should also not have to wait for ever for my order. A couple of times I have had to wait unacceptable amounts of time and have left in fustration.

Enuff
30-01-2006, 00:53
sometime ago I liked all of the above, I have to select none of the above, I like my peace & quiet these days.

Maggy
30-01-2006, 01:24
Somewhere that I can hear myself think and have a nice quiet chat or play a nice quiet game of cards.Thank goodness for the local Royal British Legion. :clap:

Unfortunately it seems pubs think they have to either cater for small children or for folk between 18 and 25.

MovedGoalPosts
30-01-2006, 01:43
Somewhere that does decent Real Ale :beer:

Gareth
30-01-2006, 01:49
That should be another option... some pubs are better than others because they serve a wider range of drinks.

Chrysalis
30-01-2006, 01:52
you missed drunk women