PDA

View Full Version : TVs in pubs

driver_problems
29-01-2006, 22:01
Just got back from a country pub where I hadn't been for a couple of years. I was looking forward to the pair of us sitting there in front of the big fireplace they have there. When we got there the fireplace was off but central heating was heating the place nicely, but some numpty had taken the unilateral decision to install a big flat screen above the fireplace which was showing football. Now to me, TVs and pubs don't go together and it spoilt the whole thing. Never mind about banning smoking from pubs they should ban the bl**dy TVs :mad:

Stuart
29-01-2006, 22:05
They wouldn't. The Government is too frightened of Rupert Murdoch, and Sky makes a small fortune from licencing Pubs to show it's channels.

nffc
29-01-2006, 22:07
Watching footy in pubs owns, beer, other alcohol and football and most of all it's warm for nights when your team's on sky (about once a year) so you don't have to sit in a freezing football stadium watching rubbish...

driver_problems
29-01-2006, 22:12
Watching footy in pubs owns, beer, other alcohol and football and most of all it's warm for nights when your team's on sky (about once a year) so you don't have to sit in a freezing football stadium watching rubbish...
yeah - but this was just clips of stuff - mostly man united. It was interfering with the atmosphere and people (mostly blokes) started to gather round it and gaze at it in a similar manner to the way the apes gazed at the sentinel when it first appeared in Kubricks space oddeysey 2001

Chimaera
29-01-2006, 22:15
yeah - but this was just clips of stuff - mostly man united. It was interfering with the atmosphere and people (mostly blokes) started to gather round it and gaze at it in a similar manner to the way the apes gazed at the sentinel when it first appeared in Kubricks space oddeysey 2001
:rofl: I can just imagine that!
I don't mind watching football in a pub - as long as I know it's that type of pub! I think I'd be a bit put out to go to an old fashioned country pub and find that you can't even escape from Sky Sports there!

Angua
29-01-2006, 22:17

You were lucky to find a "country" pub. Too many of ours are now resturants.

Did the screen have a beer glass DOG in the bottom RH corner?

driver_problems
29-01-2006, 22:23
Did the screen have a beer glass DOG in the bottom RH corner?

Yeah it did! What was that all about then?

Hom3r
29-01-2006, 22:26
I feel the only times that a TV in a pub should be on is major sporting (but consider others) events , and the big news stories (9/11, 7/7, Boxing day Tsunami).

I wouldn't like siting in a pub blasting out Corrie

McGraw
29-01-2006, 22:32
There are times when telly's in pubs are perfect.

If I'm having a night of chucking arrows in the vault, then having normal Saturday night telly on is great as far as I'm concerned.

Angua
29-01-2006, 22:32
Yeah it did! What was that all about then?

Proves they have paid sky for the rights to broadcast in the pub (shame) ;)

driver_problems
29-01-2006, 22:34
Proves they have paid sky for the rights to broadcast in the pub (shame) ;)
I thought it might have been something to do with adverts - eg. you nipped off for a quick sl*sh when it was going empty or something

Halcyon
29-01-2006, 22:44
I think football on TV's is more suited to to city pubs.
Country pubs should be more relaxed. you dont need media shoved in your face all the time to have a good time with your friends.

Macca371
29-01-2006, 23:09
I think TVs in Pubs spoil the atmosphere a bit too. I don't like fruit machines either, they kinda spoil the social atmosphere of a pub I think.

danielf
29-01-2006, 23:17
I think football on TV's is more suited to to city pubs.
Country pubs should be more relaxed. you dont need media shoved in your face all the time to have a good time with your friends.

I can see your point, but presumably people in the countryside like to watch the footie as well?

sherer
30-01-2006, 14:51
it's swings and round abouts.. last week i was working in Birmingham all week so was going to miss the match unless i found a pub showing it.. i did and enjoyed myself.. i knew before i walked in it was a sports pub and what i was going to get

on sat night i went out for a meal with mum and dad and had a drink before hand.. we went in a quite pub and having a TV there would have spoilt the place and raised the volume which we wouldn't have liked.. there was a match on at the time too

i guess what you are saying is you went out to a country pub and wasn't expecting a big screen TV there and as there was no live sport on at the time it could have been turned off

what annoys me as when a pub as spent £1000s on their big widescreen TVs but they are all set wrong so you get a horrible picture.. think that might be down to the pub feed not being 16:9 but sometimes it can make it unwatchable esp when you get a bendy picture at the sides to when the camera pans round it makes you feel sick

driver_problems
30-01-2006, 15:29
i guess what you are saying is you went out to a country pub and wasn't expecting a big screen TV there and as there was no live sport on at the time it could have been turned off

prety much yeah. It's just the screen was not there the last time I went in there a couple of years back and it seems to me that more and more 'country' pubs are going this way, although there are still a few of them left around here that don't have screens and so on

SMHarman
30-01-2006, 16:52
prety much yeah. It's just the screen was not there the last time I went in there a couple of years back and it seems to me that more and more 'country' pubs are going this way, although there are still a few of them left around here that don't have screens and so on
Perhaps they could play the roaring log fire DVD on it when the footie is not on.

driver_problems
30-01-2006, 16:53
Perhaps they could play the roaring log fire DVD on it when the footie is not on.

lol

Steve H
30-01-2006, 18:25
I've been getting a rollocking just lately from my dad for not using the local pubs enough (I love fairly near to countryside as well...)

He reckons, speaking to alot of landlords they all seem to say the same thing with buisness declining and the younger generation preferring town bars/clubs.

This suits me as well tbh, I much prefer sitting in a classier bar up town rather than at a local pub... however, i'd be much more likely to go in the pub should it have a tv on putting out sky sports or sky sports news... If the pubs empty ask the landlord/bar staff if it can be turned down/off ... they'l usually oblige (Hell I got asked to turn ours off quite often and we were in the town!)

Same thing with restraunts really... they've got to bring money in some way and people will travel more for a meal rather than just a beer.

Robster
31-01-2006, 14:50
I dunno if anyone saw Life on Mars last night but there was a bit in that where he suggested putting a TV up in the pub and the other guy said something like "TV? In a pub? what for?!"

Just made me smirk coz I think generally having TVs in pubs is stupid and stifles social conversation. The worst is when a pub has music on, with MTV muted on the TVs.

sherer
31-01-2006, 15:09
that was something the show got wrong as loads of pubs used to have TV sets to show football as people couldn't afford one.. when the world cups were on people used to go to a pub or cafe with a TV set to watch it.. same with some of the early european cup finals so it wasn't something that had never happened before.

also they had Bobby Charlton in a night club in 73 when he would have been about 35.. he never went out to clubs and pubs when he was younger and by then he was a settled married man with a family so wouldn't have gone clubbing.. it was one of the reasons he and Best didn't get on, although they never disliked each other, as has been reported, they just had different interests and were different age groups

STOP
31-01-2006, 15:21
They wouldn't. The Government is too frightened of Rupert Murdoch, and Sky makes a small fortune from licencing Pubs to show it's channels.

Pub near to me had the analogue tv taken out. Landlord told me it was the brewery that done this (all there pubs) because of the cost. I dont know if this is true but according to them the standard licence fee costs more for pubs ?

Chris
31-01-2006, 15:24
Pub near to me had the analogue tv taken out. Landlord told me it was the brewery that done this (all there pubs) because of the cost. I dont know if this is true but according to them the standard licence fee costs more for pubs ?

The TVL is the same regardless of the premises, but Sky's subscription charges for pubs and other public places are a lot higher than for a home user.

Angua
31-01-2006, 15:33
The TVL is the same regardless of the premises, but Sky's subscription charges for pubs and other public places are a lot higher than for a home user.

The average annual fee charged by Sky seems to be around £1,500. So it is no wonder the brewery pulled TV's out.

Derek
31-01-2006, 15:36
The average annual fee charged by Sky seems to be around £1,500. So it is no wonder the brewery pulled TV's out.

So when I drink in a pub with a TV I'm subsidising other peoples Sky viewing am I ;)

Still they are jealously guarding this by putting the pint logo on legit subscriptions and offering payments to people reporting pubs showing feeds from a domestic boxes.

That and sending out frighteners to pubs with dishes pointing at foreign satellites to try and persuade them it's illegal to show them (which I don't think it is)

Personally I find loud music (and I mean the really, REALLY loud stuff) far worse than a telly or two tuned into something.

gazzae
31-01-2006, 15:39

I know a guy who works in a pub in town they apparently pay sky £9k a year.

Chris
31-01-2006, 15:40
Maybe it depends on the floor area of the pub in question?

EDIT:

Seems to be based on rateable value: http://business.sky.com/pubs_packages.asp

Derek
31-01-2006, 15:42

Ouch! :Yikes:

Still looking at how busy the Glasgow sports cafe is every night there is European or International football on (even without Scottish teams) the amount of money they make there must be plenty of pubs that can cover this pretty easily.

gazzae
31-01-2006, 15:42
Maybe it depends on the floor area of the pub in question?

I think it does. Its always packed when the football is on so I'm sure he makes a lot more than £9k.

sherer
31-01-2006, 15:51
That and sending out frighteners to pubs with dishes pointing at foreign satellites to try and persuade them it's illegal to show them (which I don't think it is)

fraid that is illegal as no live football can be screened during 2:30 and 5 on a saturday.. although TF1 and stations in france, spain etc can show them in their own countries they don't have the rights to be shown overseas i.e a French station being viewed in the UK.. if a pub did that it is illegal

it's similar with Setanta in that they can show prem matches on a sat in Ireland but not in the UK

Derek
31-01-2006, 15:54
fraid that is illegal as no live football can be screened during 2:30 and 5 on a saturday

I was in a pub on Saturday which is part of a large chain and it was showing the Celtic Vs Dundee Utd game from a foreign feed.

I'm sure there was something in the local Sunday rag up here about it being allowed due to some loopholes as long as they weren't pirating the feed from somewhere.

Hmmmm. Reading this (http://business.sky.com/czone_fighting_fraud_qa.asp#q7) makes me think it might only apply to English games.

sherer
31-01-2006, 16:13
no idea what the rights are to Scottish games so that might not be illegal but still sounds like breach of copyright and so not legal as the station they will have been broadcasting wouldn't have the rights to show games in England.. for English stuff it is illegal and lots of pubs have got in trouble for it

STOP
31-01-2006, 16:24

They didn't have Sky just normal TV

Angua
31-01-2006, 17:46
They didn't have Sky just normal TV Obviously the Brewery are cheapskates and decided not to pay for the premises TV licence (same price as normal, one per premises) therefore leaving it to the Landlord or Tennant.

ian@huth
01-02-2006, 10:02
The Brewery may have done comparisons with the level of takings in pubs with a TV and those without. Many people do not want a TV blaring out in a pub particularly if it is just a standard terrestrial fed TV.