PDA

View Full Version : Sudden random internet drops

GuestUK
29-01-2006, 15:45
Hello,

Firstly, I apologise if this has been covered in another thread. I tried to do a bit of searching, but wasn't able to find something that seemed exactly the same situation as me (or at least I wasn't sure if it was).

I seem to be getting a bit of a problem recently over the past week or so where my connection to NTL just dies suddenly, for no apparent reason. During this time, any attempt to use the internet just results in the browser sticking at 'Connecting to <domain>' and never loading. Other internet-based pplications are also dead.

This loss has lasted between 10 minutes to hours, and it is really starting to get annoying.

If it helps, my 192.168.100.1 details are

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Downstream Receive Power Level : -11.62 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 33.14 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 50.50 dBmv

From the other post, it indicated that a downstream level of -11.62 was pretty low (cause for concern at around +/- 8dBmV). Could this be where the problem is? However, I'm pretty sure that it has always been around -11 in the past when I've checked, at least for around a year and without problems.

Also, when the loss occurs, I cannot reach the cable modem by 192.168.100.1 (it never loads).

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as to what is wrong as I am currently perplexed over what's happening and it sadly is really starting to become a bit of an irritation when it just cuts out, and dies for hours :(

homealone
29-01-2006, 16:18
that downstream power doesn't look right, I think you will need to contact NTL and they can investigate further. Power level problems usually require an engineer visit.

shnookumshnum
29-01-2006, 16:37
Hello

I thought I would post here because I am also Having the same problems though you didnt mention how you are connected to your SACM.

Hi All

I have my cable modem (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=228813&forumid=18#) connected via USB as I am using the Ethernet for a p2p connection (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=228813&forumid=18#). My problem is this,
I will somehow lose my internet connection (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=228813&forumid=18#) after hours for no reason, the connection will stay connected but there is no live connection so If you try to to view a web page you get Microsoft's classic "page cannot be displayed" message, if you reboot the modem (power off then on) you get the connection back, all is fine. What could be making the connection die?

Also another small problem, my internet (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=228813&forumid=18#) connection (when connected) shows the amount of packets sent and received but the number of packets sent is always 0 no matter what I do. Is this normal?? How can I get it to show bytes sent and rec??
Any help would be great as NTL have now started offsoring and the technical support people are useless.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

How do I check my downstream power??

hjf288
29-01-2006, 19:26
Ive got the same problem that I posted in my own thread :/ im using ethernet and ambit 200 though

mogwai786
29-01-2006, 21:01
Alright chaps. I'm having the same problem aswell. Running on Netgear WGR614 wi-fi with 2 pc's all with xp. I have a Motorola Surfboard. I get a generally decent download speed on 10meg; but after 30mins-3hrs, I end up losing the connection. I get the "page cannot be displayed" page and yes, signal strength to my wi-fi and modem seems to be fine. The problem seems to be the same with the pc wired to the router.
Whenever I disconnect my router and modem and then reconnect after a few minutes, it's back to normal for another couple of hours.
This happened to me a few years back but when I accidently uninstalled a p2p program (used for legal purposes ofcourse) it stopped happening. I've been running another p2p and bit torrent program since then and nothing was wrong, until now. Could this be a problem with the modem? My port forwarding? Or the router? Or the fact it's on Wi-fi? The pc that I use is an Alienware, so I know there isn't a problem there. However, I have changed about my security programs recently. I've just switched to standard windows firewall and taken off Norton. I am currently running no spyware aswell. Is the problem staring me i the face? It can't my bit torrent/p2p's, can it? They've been running fine for a while upto now. Can appreciate any help you guys can give as out of options.

Hom3r
29-01-2006, 21:05
The best and most reliable method to connect modems and PCs is Ethernet (CAT5).

USB will cause drop out (I've heard some power saving options can cause this)

If you have got more Ethernet kit than the PC can take is to buy a router (10Mb compat) tis should solve all you problems.

A router also has the advantage of a hardware forewall.