PDA

View Full Version : Ntl £5 extra charge for PS2

Dr Nick
26-06-2003, 13:29
I've got a PS2 and a 600k broadband connection. Does anyone out there know if I can connect my PS2 to BB without paying the extra £5 a month?

As I understand it from the X-box information from Ntl, the £5 per month gives you two IP addresses allowing you to have your PS2 and PC connected simultaneously, but reading the extra info seems to say that bandwidth is shared (you won't get 600k on both machines at the same time).

I'm only one person and I can't really see me being able to type a message on this forum whilst thrashing some Nissan Skyline or similar round Gran Turismo 4 so is there any reason why I can't just swap machines onto the modem as and when required?

El Diablo
26-06-2003, 13:41
Originally posted by Dr Nick

As I understand it from the X-box information from Ntl, the £5 per month gives you two IP addresses allowing you to have your PS2 and PC connected simultaneously, but reading the extra info seems to say that bandwidth is shared (you won't get 600k on both machines at the same time).

Hmmm... do they give you anything else other than 2 IP addresses? Seems a bit of a cheek if that's all they're doing... most network operators will give you additional IP addresses if you're setting up a small network at home, this shouldn't be offset against any costs... I can understand that the bandwidth is shared though, afterall, if you've just got the one connection that's all you're gonna get! Let us know how you get on, it'd be interesting to know!!

eddie00001
26-06-2003, 13:44
They give you some CAT5 and a switch so both PC/MAC & console can be used at the same time. Best option though is to buy the ntl recommended Linksys BEFSR41 router and then keep quiet about it ;) :D

eddie00001
26-06-2003, 14:29
On the xbox trial they desribed it as a switch as it allows two devices to access at the same time, and the CM plugs into this. Don't think hubs allow CM's to plug into them direct. Last time I checked, this was the equipment that was being given out with the £5 charge.

DrAwesome
26-06-2003, 16:30
Originally posted by Dr Nick
I'm only one person and I can't really see me being able to type a message on this forum whilst thrashing some Nissan Skyline or similar round Gran Turismo 4 so is there any reason why I can't just swap machines onto the modem as and when required?

I have done it many times (posted on NTHW) while playing online games.. :) when i was involved in the NTL trial at first shuting down the pc turning the power off and swapping cat 5 cable was a crap task each time i wanted to play on the console having the hub inline saved all the bother of switching things off and swapping cables etc..

The hub is needed for using two ips at the same time if you already have a router for example a recommended router Linksys BSFR41 you still need a hub to use the second ip

The £5 a month also includes Tech support should you have any problems

ali147gta
26-06-2003, 16:42
Buy a belkin router from PC world for 50 quid

job sorted

eddie00001
26-06-2003, 17:34
Here's the Linksys one:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=37451

Tod
26-06-2003, 18:52
Linksys routers are great. I got a wireless router and I was surprised how quickly I could set it all up.

NTL give you a hub because if they gave you a router you could theoretically cancel their £5 per month because you would then not need two IP addresses.

Tezcatlipoca
27-06-2003, 00:31
Originally posted by DrAwesome
The hub is needed for using two ips at the same time if you already have a router for example a recommended router Linksys BSFR41 you still need a hub to use the second ip

... but if you already have a router, then there is absolutely no need for the 2nd IP & a hub.

Tezcatlipoca
27-06-2003, 00:54
Originally posted by Andre
ntl's definition of a "compatible broadband access product" is their £5.00 per month service, my definition is a router or internet connection sharing. ;)

Exactly. That's how I see it. :)

The AUP does not at any point specifically state that the "designated XBox/PS2 compatible broadband access product" has to be NTL's own BB & Console service.

As it is left vague, it should surely be interpreted in favour of the consumer (I think that's the law??): e.g. screw NTL's £5pcm service & use a compatible router supported by M$/Sony.

The AUP specifically states that the use of routers is permitted, & says that up to 3 PCs can be connected to your BB connection. Taking that, plus the fact that my router (a Linksys BEFSR41) is officially designated as XBox Live compatible by MicroSoft, I don't see how I can be in violation of the AUP. If NTL believe otherwise, then tough - let's see them try to enforce it on all the many many XBox/PS2 users who use a router/ICS rather than the NTL BB & Console service.

Originally posted by eddie00001
They give you some CAT5 and a switch so both PC/MAC & console can be used at the same time. Best option though is to buy the ntl recommended Linksys BEFSR41 router and then keep quiet about it ;) :D

Yep, getting a router, eg Linksys BEFSR41 or a Belkin, is definitely the best option.

It's cheaper than the NTL BB & Console service (one-off £~50 rather than £5pcm), it's easy to set up (no need for networking knowledge), & NTL can't feasibly tell you're using a PS2/XBox, so won't come after you for violating the AUP.

OK, if you get a router (or use ICS, or connect directly) rather than going for the NTL rip-off, you won't get tech support for using your console online. But, why would you need it? Once everything is up & running (which is easy), there shouldn't be any problems. If any problems occur with the actual net connection itself (CM>NTL) then you should still be able to call tech support - you just can't get support for connecting the console.

The Broadband & Console service is just another way for NTL to try & get money out of people.

Dr Nick
27-06-2003, 08:37
So much info!!

Thanks guys. I guess a trip to my local computer store is required then...:)

russellelly
16-07-2003, 20:52
if you're not going to use your PC and PS2 simultaneosly then i would recommend simply using Direct Connection. Set it up this morning and no problems. Switch the leads and that's about all there is to it.

ps I am on 150k and its fast enough to handle it.

Jarandco
16-07-2003, 23:18
Originally posted by russellelly
if you're not going to use your PC and PS2 simultaneosly then i would recommend simply using Direct Connection. Set it up this morning and no problems. Switch the leads and that's about all there is to it.

ps I am on 150k and its fast enough to handle it.

althought its not recommened 150 should be able to handle it it works pretty well on xbox live!

although if you are using a stb in a ex C & W area the connection will sometimes run at about 256!

DeadKenny
17-07-2003, 14:16
PS2 plugs into my hub. Works simultaneously just like everything on my LAN, all sharing the 600kbps. PS2 even connects using the 'NTL' configuration on the network disc.

No need to pay anything extra and there's no way NTL can force people to pay the £5 fee without it becoming a huge issue for their complaints department, loads of negative press and plenty of people quitting NTL.

The "compatible" product I thought meant the broadand adapter on the back of the PS2. Why they'd be bothered I don't know, it's no different to an Ethernet card. Whatever you connect has a MAC address that gets registered when you boot the modem, but they shouldn't care what the product is that's connected to the modem, so long as you're not plugging anything other than the officially supplied cable modem into the coax cable.

Just get a router. Problem solved.