PDA

View Full Version : how can you block people ringing you who have with-held their number

danny boy
28-01-2006, 22:59
can somebody please tell me?

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:48 ----------

help me :banghead:

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

help mee

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

somebody must kno

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

its for telewest thats the phone line

Chris W
28-01-2006, 23:02
whoa! patience! This is a forum... you need to give people more than 2 minutes to reply!

You need to setup anonymous caller reject- i gather there is a charge for it, but i'm not sure how much.

according to Telewest- All chargeable features are accessed by calling 0845 142 0000 or 150 to subscribe for free.

Stuart
28-01-2006, 23:03
:welcome: to CableForum.

What area are you in?

danny boy
28-01-2006, 23:16
well i live in chelmsford area

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

what wud i have to do and wud there be a charge?

Derek
29-01-2006, 10:46
what wud i have to do and wud there be a charge?

If you call Telewest and ask them to set it up on your line they should be able to do that.

They'll also tell you if there is a charge involved for the service.

Also it won't stop calls from call centres, only from numbers in the UK that are withheld.

basa
30-01-2006, 10:10
I notice when I enable a similar feature on my ntl line it also blocks calls from business numbers which are routed through an exchange. For example I can't phone home from my workplace when it is enabled on my home phone. :(

danny boy
10-02-2006, 18:40
cheers for your help!

jediboyuk
19-05-2007, 12:18
dial 150 - select 2 and ask them to set up "anonymous caller rejection" - takes 30 seconds to request via the call and about an hour to appear on their system. simple!

easiest thing ive ever done with ntl/vigin, and it's free!

you can also register with the telephone preference service - they will enforce your privacy

progers
20-05-2007, 09:30
You need to tell your friends and family as lots of peole these days have CLI witheld so they would need to dial a code (1470?) before they called you

alferret
20-05-2007, 15:02
Just ignore calls from caller witheld numbers, its cheap and easy ;)

TPS works to, were signed up and have been for about a year, although the odd one gets through we just ask them for the company their phoning on behalf of, their name, where they got our number from and that we will be reporting them for un-solicited calls. They dont phone back.

kryogenik
20-05-2007, 15:16
Just ignore calls from caller witheld numbers, its cheap and easy ;)

True.
:)

It's not easy if you live in an area without CLI though!
(We do)

I type *227# to initiate anonymous call rejection and #227# to disable it.
*#227# reports status.
There's others for different areas but I'm not sure if any still work.
I don't get charged for this service - I believe that is because I live in a non-CLI area.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11/14048-unknown-number-block-on-ntl.html

nffc
20-05-2007, 20:36
TPS works to, were signed up and have been for about a year, although the odd one gets through we just ask them for the company their phoning on behalf of, their name, where they got our number from and that we will be reporting them for un-solicited calls. They dont phone back.

TPS only works for sales calls from a company you haven't given consent to be called by, though. If the call's not a sales call, and/or from a company you have consented to be contacted by (eg by (not) ticking a box on a form) then TPS doesn't cover the call...

Amazing how many times I've said that on here and other forums.

TPS numbers can still be called by, for example.
- people who aren't selling anything eg market researchers
- companies who you already have dealings with (say V/M or sky) and who you have given your permission for them to contact you, by ticking a box saying they can, or not ticking a box saying they can't.
because neither call is an unsolicited sales call. A company who is selling, who you have not consented to call you, is obviously in breach.

It stops the bulk, but it's not a catch all service. Plus, it's quite difficult to complain - you need a lot of details about the company you're reporting, call logs and recorded evidence, usually. And TPS is actually ran by the DMA who are in marketing...

Stuart
20-05-2007, 20:57
Has anyone looked at the original date of the thread? The question was answered one year and three months ago..

alferret
20-05-2007, 22:09
:Yikes: ye gadds :o:

icklelight
20-05-2007, 22:35
and it isnt free anymore...it cost a shocking £2.50 :S

kryogenik
20-05-2007, 22:42
and it isnt free anymore...it cost a shocking £2.50 :S

I think it depends where you are.
It's free for me - as I say, I'm in a non-CLI area.