PDA

View Full Version : connection hangs connected to upload speed?

jayfreck
26-01-2006, 19:08
I`ve been with NTL for some time now and in the last year i`ve had the problem of my connection hanging randomly in the same way that a lot of 10mbit users are reporting. Sync and Ready lights were on but nothing would connect until i reboot the modem. It could happen a few times a day or on occasion it would go a couple of days before requiring a reboot and i had my modem swapped on one occasion but it didnt make any difference.

A few months ago i was dropped onto a special 512kbit service because i went over the bandwidth limit and in all that time i didnt have a single hanged connection. My upload limit was approximately 8k as far as i could tell and i always had my bittorrent capped to 4k/sec upload.

Now i`m back on 1mbit unlimited and the connection hangs are back. If i raise the bittorrent upload cap to 8k/sec i get hangs, keep it at 4k/sec and all is fine. This is in addition to downloading from newsgroups at the same time.

This leads me to believe that this is all somehow connected to how much you upload.

NTL tech support have been typically hopeless and frustrating - does anyone know what is needed to fix this problem?