PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade?

scrotnig
26-01-2006, 19:10
Amazing how in the 9 months since I left ntl you lose track of what's happening.

I've got, amongst other things, a SACM which is an ntl 120 (the silver one) running the 2mb service. It works, in all honesty, brilliantly, and is about as reliable as you can get.

However I've been considering the 10mb upgrade lark. First, is the rollout complete? I'm in Manchester. Secondly, does the 120 support it ok? And thirdly, if I upgrade, how much am I running the risk of things going titsup.com? I've read of problems in some areas and don't want to swap a solid reliable service for a right dodgy one!

Paul
26-01-2006, 19:14
TBH, unless you need the extra speed, I would stay as you are atm.

dilli-theclaw
26-01-2006, 19:17
As said - unless you have a specific need for the speed i'd stick with what you have.

I went onto 10mb for a couple of months - which did work fine at the full speed for me. But I just don't NEED the speed - if I'm going to make a big download I just set it off before I go to bed.

Sage013
26-01-2006, 21:33
Ditto the above two posts. It's something of a lucky dip on whether you'll get better than 2Mb on the 5/10Mb package so, I wouldn't do it until things are sorted out.

greencreeper
27-01-2006, 00:42
Can only echo the other posters - have to consider your Internet usage and whether (a) 10MB is value for money; and (b) whether you do anything that needs 10MB

I've just moved from 1MB to 2MB and I can't tell the difference :erm: Still have to proxy hop.

ian@huth
27-01-2006, 00:51
If you are doing work on your sites from home it is well worth getting the extra upload speed. You can try it for a month and downgrade if you feel it is not living up to expectations.

sav112
27-01-2006, 16:21
I've just moved from 1MB to 2MB and I can't tell the difference :erm: Still have to proxy hop.

I was thinking of going to 2mb from the 1mb as I often host a clan game called football manager I'd be disapointed if it felt the same as well. i thought the extra upload download speed would help when you have 7-12 players hitting on your machine?

greencreeper
28-01-2006, 00:06
It might just be my aged PC - the speed limit might be 70mph but you've no chance of reaching that, even with a strong tail wind, on a push bike. I've noticed that downloads are pretty nippy - was downloading the latest versions of various bits of software the other night. Browsing isn't noticably changed. I guess that, yes, online gaming would be much improved, though I've never been a team player. Can do a better job on my own, quicker.

patrickp
28-01-2006, 12:40
I was recently doing up a mate's old 600MHz PC for him, and had it on my home network for a while. It was just as capable of downloading at 1000KBs+ as my other more modern machines.

Certainly, if you're using ethernet (USB will be dependent on system resources) you should get just as fast connections on old machines, within reason, as more recent ones.

Having said that, you need to have it running reasonably well.

sav112
28-01-2006, 15:31
did it upped myself to 2mb and i feel i can now download things. not played any games yet but it feels a bit better.

the annoying thing is im now paying 24.99 and my mate on telewest is on 2mb for 14.99. and he lives close to me. thats a £10 difference for the same service.
so not impressed with the service price. my other friend is getting 8mb bulldog and he lives a few doors up so if its better i'll move in the next few months.

chocky909
28-01-2006, 16:10
...my other friend is getting 8mb bulldog and he lives a few doors up so if its better i'll move in the next few months.

When you say he's getting 8mb, do you mean he's subscribed to it or that he's is actually getting thoses speeds because, from what I've heard, Bulldog 8mb is one of the worst BB service around re actual speed.

sav112
28-01-2006, 17:58
When you say he's getting 8mb, do you mean he's subscribed to it or that he's is actually getting thoses speeds because, from what I've heard, Bulldog 8mb is one of the worst BB service around re actual speed.

he's not on it yet just getting it. I had said Ntl has given me no problems but I think he was looking at the 8mb and the fact i paid 17.99 for 1mb and now 24.99.