PDA

View Full Version : Newb to cable seeks assurance

monks1975
26-01-2006, 16:36
Hi all,

I have just cancelled my PlusNet dsl 2MB service due to the traffic shaping/limiting which has had a bad effect on my general browsing speed. I was averaging about 50G a month (mainly uknova stuff) which has always been my general level, but the cap has recently started turning my connection to cheese.

So as my rented house already has cable (wired up to go, so to speak), I have decided to make the jump to Blueyonder, with the 1MB (Probably 4MB already in this area- Cheltenham) BB service + the phone service. Engineer is coming next Thursday. Perhaps I should of done my research, as I'm turning up lots of scare stories about the Quality of Service- through this forum, especially.

Then I saw this today- irony for me if true...

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blueyonder&Number=2240072&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

I haven't received a contract from TW yet but I read that there is a 1 month 'get out clause' if you aren't satisfied. I hope I am, as (just like PlusNet in the beginning), I always heard good things about the BY (if not the customer service in the call-centers).

If I'm not impressed- would anyone recommend Bulldog? I always thought they were a bit dodgy but reports on ADSL guide seem to say otherwise.

Thanks for reading,

--Jon

Ignition
26-01-2006, 17:44
You'll find scare stories about every ISP. If there's no risk why worry?

monks1975
26-01-2006, 18:42
You'll find scare stories about every ISP. If there's no risk why worry?

I understand that Ignition. I'm sure most people on Blueyonder get pretty near (at least) to what they pay for and forums generally cater to the disgruntled few. My concern is I've probably moved to them at the worst time, just like I did with Plusnet.

From your posts I gather that you expect the issues to fade away when telewest have to put money into expanding the infrastructure? You seem knowledgable about why the complaints are taking place (upload saturation).

--Jon

telecom69
27-01-2006, 03:28
I am pretty sure that you will be satisfied with Blue Yonder,everyone that has it,that I know is anyway,myself I have been with them for over 5 years and have never had any problems of any note,except for one set top box that went faulty afer nearly 5 years use,it was replaced the next day....there does seem to be some dissatifaction with those that have been upgraded to 10 meg broadband with upload speeds not reaching what they expect,but myself on 1 meg am perfectly sattisfied with what Ive got...have no fears...Im sure it will suit your needs ...

Ignition
27-01-2006, 18:48
From your posts I gather that you expect the issues to fade away when telewest have to put money into expanding the infrastructure? You seem knowledgable about why the complaints are taking place (upload saturation).

--Jon

No I expect them to go away when they either kick off insanely heavy users or start traffic shaping ;)

toom
08-02-2006, 20:47
No I expect them to go away when they either kick off insanely heavy users or start traffic shaping ;)
What would you call a heavy user (apart from a ****) , what would you consider heavy usage?

Cawker
09-02-2006, 10:07
Most people only post when there is a problem.

Out of the few that have posted is a small % of happy users

toom
09-02-2006, 12:58
I am pretty sure that you will be satisfied with Blue Yonder,everyone that has it,that I know is anyway,myself I have been with them for over 5 years and have never had any problems of any note,except for one set top box that went faulty afer nearly 5 years use,it was replaced the next day....there does seem to be some dissatifaction with those that have been upgraded to 10 meg broadband with upload speeds not reaching what they expect,but myself on 1 meg am perfectly sattisfied with what Ive got...have no fears...Im sure it will suit your needs ...
I don't seem to find many AOL users on here, and while I used to be on AOL, when it WAS working for me, I found some of the functions quite handy.