PDA

View Full Version : Interview Dilema

liamboyle06
26-01-2006, 11:59
Posting for some advice/help/something useful
I have an interview tomorrow morning for a position in work, the only thing is my best mate is in for the same position.
So far in this company I have been rejected 6-7 times already for better positions because I dont do well in Interviews. Mean while My mate is already in a higher position than me, was doing the job previously before he got promoted, but now wants his old job back.
from what i understand, there is only the 2 of us in for the job, and he does not know I am the other person. am i wrong in not telling him? but I really want this position and need some desprate help for the interview skills.

Russ
26-01-2006, 12:15
In the world of employment it's a dog-eat-dog world. I'm not saying your friend is like this but I'm sure there are many many people who wouldn't think twice of knifing you in the back to get a job.

There are times when I believe it is morally acceptable to be 'selfish'. If you're going for a job then as long as what you do stays within the law and is ethical, I say do what you have to do.

ian@huth
26-01-2006, 13:12
Many people are rejected for a job in the first 30 seconds of the interview. Make sure that you look right and sound right in those first few seconds. Think back and try to figure out why you were unsuccessful with previous applications. It may be too late to help with this situation but there will be other opportunities in the future.

I don't think that keeping silent about you going for the job will help or hinder your application. It might dampen your friendship though if you don't tell your friend.

If it is only the two of you it may be that you are the favourite as giving your friend the job will create a vacancy for his job which may be more difficult to fill. If he did get the job then you may always apply for the vacancy he is creating and jump ahead of him if successful.