PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, told son he's not having PS2 chipped.

BOMBERH
26-01-2006, 10:32
Thank you for your replies to my question about PS2 and getting it chipped. Told my son end of.
Bomberh

Nugget
26-01-2006, 10:36
It is still illegal, you know!

Anyway, you can get second hand games cheap enough, and they'll probably be better quality than copies...

Jon M
26-01-2006, 11:11
:tu: Good news, glad to hear it. :)

Don't forget invalidating any outstanding warranty if you add a chip... could be costly if something fails.

grandmaster
26-01-2006, 12:28
It is still illegal, you know!

Whats illegal? getting the chip

Saaf_laandon_mo
26-01-2006, 14:06
I don't think chipping a ps2 is illegal, its playing and distributing copied games thats illegal (I think). Thing is its legal to make & play 'back up copies' of games u own but you can't do this unless you get ur ps2 modified.

dilli-theclaw
26-01-2006, 14:09
More info here :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3915179.stm

p.s. you don't have to physically 'chip' a ps2 to run copied games on it. That's all I'll say on that.

grandmaster
26-01-2006, 14:52
I don't think chipping a ps2 is illegal, its playing and distributing copied games thats illegal (I think). Thing is its legal to make & play 'back up copies' of games u own but you can't do this unless you get ur ps2 modified.

Thats what i thought to be honest.

I was sure you are legally allowed to make one copy of a disc you own.

Nugget
26-01-2006, 14:57

Under copyright, you're pretty much allowed to make one copy of anything you own. However, why would you copy a game that you already own? The very act of doing it implies that you're going to pass it on to someone else :shrug:

Saaf_laandon_mo
26-01-2006, 14:58
But can't you let others 'borrow' a copy of your game, and take. say a fiver as a deposit, incase you never get it back?

Nugget
26-01-2006, 15:00
But can't you let others 'borrow' a copy of your game, and take. say a fiver as a deposit, incase you never get it back?

As I understand it, you can't do that because then you're renting it, which is a breach of copyright but, as I say, that's just the way I understand it :)

Saaf_laandon_mo
26-01-2006, 15:03
hmmmm. so theres no way i can start my illegal software house :-(

dilli-theclaw
26-01-2006, 15:05

Under copyright, you're pretty much allowed to make one copy of anything you own. However, why would you copy a game that you already own? The very act of doing it implies that you're going to pass it on to someone else :shrug:I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd want to play from a copy rather than my original disc in case the original disc got damaged. Either by a person or even by the machine itself.

gazzae
26-01-2006, 15:06
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd want to play from a copy rather than my original disc in case the original disc got damaged. Either by a person or even by the machine itself.

I broke my Football Manager disk a while ago. I posted it to Sega and they sent me another disk. I'd imagine most suppliers would do the same.

Gareth
26-01-2006, 15:10

I was sure you are legally allowed to make one copy of a disc you own.Dodgy ground here... which is why IP lawyers are all so rich :D

As of 31st October 2003 when the EU Copyright Directive became implemented in the UK (which is kinda similar to the DMCA for all intents and purposes) circumventing any copy-protection scheme is considered illegal, and even posession of tools that allow you to circumvent such copy protections is technically against the law.

Oops, forgot about this bit too... The EU Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement Directive of 2004 kinda reversed the Copyright Directive. The law was drawn up to target professional pirates, criminals and counterfeiters who make copies of everything from CDs to handbags.

During the debates, the directive was widened to cover any infringement of intellectual property.

The directive allows companies to raid homes, seize property and ask courts to freeze bank accounts to protect trademarks or intellectual property they believe are being abused or stolen.

Civil liberty and lobby groups feared that the music industry will also use the law to mount raids on the homes of people who swap songs via file-sharing systems such as Kazaa.source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3545839.stm

ps - check out who was pushing this directive through, and who she's married to ;)

dilli-theclaw
26-01-2006, 15:10
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd want to play from a copy rather than my original disc in case the original disc got damaged. Either by a person or even by the machine itself.
I broke my Football Manager disk a while ago. I posted it to Sega and they sent me another disk. I'd imagine most suppliers would do the same.Most suppliers DO do the same - but MOST suppliers charge for it.

Gareth
26-01-2006, 15:20
I broke my Football Manager disk a while ago. I posted it to Sega and they sent me another disk. I'd imagine most suppliers would do the same.If you try the same thing with any of the big music labels, I bet they don't offer a similar service. Even if you offer to pay any 'reasonable' costs for the media, they'll not play ball :(

Ramrod
26-01-2006, 18:22
hmmmm. so theres no way i can start my illegal software house :-(I'd say there are many easy ways of starting your own illegal software house! :D

BOMBERH
26-01-2006, 22:31
Thank u all great advise.
Bomber

sharpygreen
27-01-2006, 02:04
swap magic do a google search on that all i will say about it

apart from it works

Saaf_laandon_mo
27-01-2006, 10:30
swap magic is great!

TheBlueRaja
27-01-2006, 11:17
Thank u all great advise.
Bomber

I dont think so - paying 40 odd quid for a game is not what i would call the "smart" option.

Get the thing chipped and forget about all the do-gooders who like to line the pockets of the shareholders so they can stand in the moral high ground.

Saaf_laandon_mo
27-01-2006, 11:31
I dont think so - paying 40 odd quid for a game is not what i would call the "smart" option.

Get the thing chipped and forget about all the do-gooders who like to line the pockets of the shareholders so they can stand in the moral high ground.

Well said.......i have no qualms about using copied games. If original ps2 games cost 10quid-15quid (and I bet even at that price theres a massive profit to be made) Id pay the full whack as I cant be bothered downloading rhe game, burning a dvd etc etc. But 35+ quid takes the mick!

TheBlueRaja
27-01-2006, 11:37
Well said.......i have no qualms about using copied games. If original ps2 games cost 10quid-15quid (and I bet even at that price theres a massive profit to be made) Id pay the full whack as I cant be bothered downloading rhe game, burning a dvd etc etc. But 35+ quid takes the mick!

Exactly. Rip-Off!

Saaf_laandon_mo
27-01-2006, 11:43
If companies like Sony want to make a real impact to prevent piracy, then they should lower their prices. GTA 3 on the ps2 has sold over 10 million copies worldwide (according to wikpedia), and even if it cost 5 million to develop, thats a massive margin left over which is lining someone's pockets.

Gareth
27-01-2006, 21:58
That's a one-off though... not all games are as good as GTA3, and won't sell anywhere near that amount. They still cost a fortune to develop however, even if their total sales figures aren't as high as GTA3's.

In relation to piracy... let's just say that my habits have had to change. It's impossible to try to instill some sense of decency and honesty in your child, telling them not to steal and lieing is wrong... and then you turn around a boot up your warezed copy of King Kong for them to play.

marky
27-01-2006, 22:12
But surley buying a perfectly good origional US game isnt illegal, but you cant play them on UK machines ;)

TheBlueRaja
27-01-2006, 22:58
That's a one-off though... not all games are as good as GTA3, and won't sell anywhere near that amount. They still cost a fortune to develop however, even if their total sales figures aren't as high as GTA3's.

In relation to piracy... let's just say that my habits have had to change. It's impossible to try to instill some sense of decency and honesty in your child, telling them not to steal and lieing is wrong... and then you turn around a boot up your warezed copy of King Kong for them to play.

So why is it that a film can cost 100 million plus and still only be around 5 quid to watch?

Why is it that a CD that can take months to create only costs a tenner?

Why is it that a game for the PC can cost 27.99 and the equivalent one for a console can cost 40 quid plus?

Reason - your being taken for a ride.

Gareth
27-01-2006, 23:11
Basic economies of scale. The number of CDs or movie tickets sold far outweighs the number of games sold. Even the best selling game of the year won't get as many punters as the best selling CD or film. If you're selling more of a product, then you can afford to reduce the cost to John Doe of buying your product, which in turn makes the product more reachable to other John Does, thereby increasing sales and profits yet further.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Why is it that a game for the PC can cost 27.99 and the equivalent one for a console can cost 40 quid plus?

Reason - your being taken for a ride.I'll probably give you that one. The state of the console market does surprise me.

TheBlueRaja
27-01-2006, 23:11
Basic economies of scale. The number of CDs or movie tickets sold far outweighs the number of games sold. Even the best selling game of the year won't get as many punters as the best selling CD or film. If you're selling more of a product, then you can afford to reduce the cost to John Doe of buying your product, which in turn makes the product more reachable to other John Does, thereby increasing sales and profits yet further.

Stenghtens my argument does it not? If a game cost as much as a CD or a movie then surely they would sell more.

There are millions of Consoles and PC's in homes accross the world.

Gareth
27-01-2006, 23:32
Stenghtens my argument does it not? If a game cost as much as a CD or a movie then surely they would sell more.

There are millions of Consoles and PC's in homes accross the world.Not necessarily... there's a cut off point where although the customer base is larger, the overall revenue is smaller. The bean counters at the software houses will have calculated what that cut off point equates to in terms of price for their product.

For example... you sell a game at £50 and you know that you'll shift a million of these. After calculating your costs you know that your profit per game is £15, multiplied by a million units sold gives you a total profit of £15 million.

Now, if you decrease the price of the game to £40 per unit, you'll shift an extra 50% but your profit per unit is smaller - it's now only £5 per game. So £5 profit per item multiplied by 1½ million units sold only gives you a total profit of £7,500, 000.

You can shift more games, but what's the point if it's costing you more money to do so?