PDA

View Full Version : JOb rejection

timewarrior2001
25-01-2006, 23:10
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Just found out that 2 years experience isnt enough for a job I had an interview for.

Just fired off a snotty email to the company thanking them graciously for wasting my time.

Why do companies do that, they had my CV, they knew what experience I had

I missed my lunch the other day for that interview.

Apparently they must have someone with MCP, the experience is optional. My email mentions that a monkey could pass an MCP, takes more than a bit of paper to work in tech support, although they obviosuly havent realised that yet. Besides what goods an MCP when yer sat on the end of a bloody phone?

Grrr I am mad, kill them all, and their pathetic little company.:2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up:

SMHarman
25-01-2006, 23:24
So your CV said you were not MCP yet they interviewed you and then said we cannot hire you you are not MCP?

How dumb are they.

danielf
25-01-2006, 23:28
It sounds dumb indeed but I do wonder if it is wise sending a snotty email to the company. It may make you feel better in the short term, but it might hinder your prospects in the future.

Halcyon
25-01-2006, 23:30
I know what you mean. So many companies want many years experience. How on earth can people new to the world of work get started if no one is going to give them a go.
It's crazy !

nffc
25-01-2006, 23:39
I know what you mean. So many companies want many years experience. How on earth can people new to the world of work get started if no one is going to give them a go.
It's crazy !
That's my logic, which is precisely why I'm staying in this (n00b) job to get certification and experience as long as I can hack it. Then of course I can get something less mundane.

In the end I'm probably not going to gain much other than a piece of paper saying I know stuff and something on the CV saying I've done stuff for x length of time - which we all know means naff but it's something employers can quantify so they like it. :rolleyes:

Chrysalis
25-01-2006, 23:57
seen it too many times experience needed.

I even failed to get a data entry job once, for that reason.

They took my cv, interviewed me, I did a test, they said was faster then average and it had 0 mistakes. 5 mins later oh we cant employ you the company policy is min x months experience.

Enuff
26-01-2006, 00:30
it also has a lot to do with if your face fits... if, like me, you are drop dead gorgeous, dashing, strikingly beautiful and lovely... employment with whatever company doing whatever job is easy. made even easier if the person interviewing you for the job is female :naughty: oh, by-the-way timewarrior2001 hard cheese :sorry:

Flubflow
26-01-2006, 00:44

Just found out that 2 years experience isnt enough for a job I had an interview for.

Just fired off a snotty email to the company thanking them graciously for wasting my time.

Apparently they must have someone with MCP, the experience is optional. My email mentions that a monkey could pass an MCP, takes more than a bit of paper to work in tech support, although they obviosuly havent realised that yet. Besides what goods an MCP when yer sat on the end of a bloody phone?

Grrr I am mad, kill them all, and their pathetic little company.:2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up:

However right you think you may be in principle, they might simply argue that your snotty email just proved to them that they were right not to employ you afterall.

LSainsbury
26-01-2006, 11:39
However right you think you may be in principle, they might simply argue that your snotty email just proved to them that they were right not to employ you afterall.

Exactly! Never do that...don't burn your bridges however you feel about them. Don't take rejection to personally.

I'm in the same position at the moment - looking for a new job...I've had a two rejections but I've also refused about 8 postions as well. I'm just waiting for the right one to come along....and that may not be two far away now! :tu:

BTW - Expereince is key. I have 15+ years real world IT knowledge - I've been all over the UK, 10 US cities, Mexico and Brazil performing my job. :)

Bifta
26-01-2006, 12:16
If I'd turned down someone for a job then got an email mentioned "monkeys" being able to do that job, I'd be satisfied in the knowledge that I'd made the right decision.

Escapee
26-01-2006, 18:27
I agree you have to be careful, about 12 months ago I went for an interview with a large company locally for a job I wasn't that interested in. I went at the request of the HR manager who found my CV on a jobsite. The interview went very badly as the two managers seemed to like me but the senior engineer who was the "ex-army bullshi**er" type didn't. He started off by saying I was the only non ex-army person that he was interviewing, and to be honest proved to be a complete to**er. He tried to be clever and ask questions about subjects that he obviously knew to very little depth, in an attempt to catch me out.

I felt like the company was a total waste of time, and I would never bother again. Just before christmas an agency contacted me about a job at the company that was far superior to the one I had been turned down for (about £10K superior), I agreed to go along to the interview but really thought it was going to be a waste of time. The description of the job was full of TLA's and BS, and the top line stated that the candidate had to be degree qualified. I dont have a degree so thought it very unlikely that I would be offered the position, to my surprise the interview went very relaxed and it became apparent that they had interviewed many people with higher qualifications who were unfortunately of no use for the job.

I start at the company on Monday earning a fair bit more than my present job, I felt annoyed with the ar*eh*le in the original interview but I doubt if I would of been given a second chance if I had emailed them my views.

andygrif
26-01-2006, 19:19

If a company could tell everything they needed to know about a person from their CV, then they wouldn't need to do any interviews at all.

The fact is that you were shortlisted based on your CV, then they selected the best person for the job.

The fact that you now bear a grudge against that company might suggest that you were not terribly suitable to be employed by them in the first place.

Shoting off snotty emails will not help you find another job - quite the opposite in fact; Most industries are fairly small, people move around - you'd better hope you don't run into that person who turned you down in a few years from now at another company.

To quote Dennis Leary: Life sucks. Get a helmet.

gooner4life
26-01-2006, 19:57
That email may well be the biggest mistake you have ever made in your career to date.

I sincerely hope it doesnt go against you in the future, I myself was turned down originally for my current job for a lack of experience, they took on 2 people who were already within the company.

After going to Stevenage for 09:30am in the morning and then into North London for a 2nd interview the same day at 22:00 I was genuinely peeved to find out 4 days later that they chose 2 internal applicants.

However 2 weeks later they called to ask if I was still available and interested, I then used that to negotiate an extra 1k a year on my salary as I was interested but i'd already had another offer in the 2 weeks that had passed which paid more but was a slightly different direction, but that I was also considering, I am now more than happy in my current job and I'm certainly glad that I didnt tell them how peeved I was.

paul11974
26-01-2006, 20:42
It's crazy !

the hgv driving license is a classic to get your class 2 ( class c ) you have to pay aprox £1000 thats if you pass 1st time and if you fail it is £250 every test after. You have to have a medical and sit a theory test as well . Then when (if) you pass your test all the companies want 2 years experience so how can you get experience if nobody is prepared to give you any :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sage013
26-01-2006, 21:07
If a company could tell everything they needed to know about a person from their CV, then they wouldn't need to do any interviews at all.

Exactly right!! Whilst simplified, there are two main stages of applying for jobs, getting the company interested enough in you to give you an interview, and then the interviews (or multiple interviews) afterwards. Whilst job advertisments genrally say a certain amount of experience is required, if your CV interests them you'll get an interview. Regardless of experience, if you give a good impression of yourself theres a good chance you'll get the job.

Just becuase you know what you're doing, it doesn't mean you're bound to be a likeable person to work with.

Chrysalis
27-01-2006, 00:09
agree you shouldnt have fired of the angry email, currently its an employer's market, they can pick and choose at will since their is many applicants per job. I also agree in many cases it will be if your face fits and just hope one day you find someone interviewing you who takes a liking to you.

etccarmageddon
27-01-2006, 13:31
good luck with the job hunting. my advice is next time you get rejected on what you think is daft reasons, fire off an email but make it constructive - tell them you think you ARE right for the job and the reasons. leave the emotions out of this as this is business not relationships!

we've all had crap interviews, I remember years ago making the journey from manchester to E17 for a job and the miserable git keeping me there for a 2 hour interview - all they contributed was a cuppa - no offer to pay towards my expenses and no offer of lunch.

yeah lunch sounds a bit cheeky but had they not considered that a)I'd taken a day off work and given a day of my time due to the travelling b)it was a **** storm of a winters snowy day c)I'd spent a fair bit on petrol.

after which the only feedback I got was 'we dont want him'. this was for a job that the agency told me was £17 to £25k - during the interview the git said the agency had told him I'd settle on £17k! and something along the lines of - well if you need a higher wage then that must be due to your lifestyle or some weird stuff. These were the days before companies had email but I dont think I would have fired one off like you did!

so good luck and dont let the barstuards get you down but turn any of that anger you have into something constructive for your sake of course not theirs!

handyman
27-01-2006, 13:42
Hmm Whilst I did send in a email after getting turned down for a job ( there was a spelling test involved and spelling mistakes on the rejection letter so I could not resist) I did get turned down for a job with a internet company only to be called 3 months later offering me the job with 2k more. Seems there where 2 candidates they liked and only 1 job, and they did say that had they known how quick they where expanding they would have took both of us on in the 1st instance.

Although If they had taken me on I would not have gone to Freeserve met claire, moved to the lakes and be working in this good job now.............. :erm:

Gareth
27-01-2006, 14:04
Afraid to say I agree with those who think that your email could turn into a career limiting move at some stage in the future. I've had some crap interviews in the past (it turns out to be expensive flying from south of France to the UK purely for an interview where afterwards they just mess you around!). But, I've always remained civil with the people involved. I've had too many "co-incidental" meetings with people from the past, that it pays to bite your lip and not say something that you'll possibly regret afterwards.

However, if we talk about IT recruitment agencies..... :mad: