PDA

View Full Version : BBC Video feeds breakdown

APS
25-01-2006, 13:10
I have noticed that in the last month, during evening periods, I am unable to view most of the BBC New videos from start to end without the video pausing for long periods or the stream stopping altogether and "rebuffering".

The videos normally start OK but then breakdown after 30 sec or so. Has anyone else noticed this. I can view videos from most other sites OK, it is just the BBC ones that are now unusable.

Coincidentally this problem started roughly when the 10 Mbit service was released, although I am still on 2 Mbit, in the Nottingham area.

Anyone else noticed this? Perhaps the BBC don't have the bandwith to match demand at present, or could it be NTL??

APS

Chrysalis
27-01-2006, 00:18
yes except here it happens all day, use the realplayer option it is much better for dodgy networks :), since instead of trying to cache a few secs at once it will cache the entire clip as fast as possible minimising skips.

KevAmiga
27-01-2006, 08:57
Odd, i set up a W-LAN for some relatives that listen to streaming radio, all works except BBC? She can get a nice 256k stream coming through lovely but 64k on the BBC? No chance, She is on NTL too. I put it down to the BBC's crappy server, i guess i was right.

Chrysalis
27-01-2006, 15:45
streaming radio on what port?

I did tests on the bbc and through my squid the skips did stop so I think its a proxy problem.

KevAmiga
27-01-2006, 15:56
Port? Not sure, but all other streaming works.

Streaming wont go through a proxy tho.... its streaming.

Chrysalis
28-01-2006, 01:00
streaming through bbc does according to my netstat. I havent bothered checking winamp etc. since that doesnt skip for me.