PDA

View Full Version : Additional STB

Seb
13-11-2003, 20:36
Does anyone know the cost for an additional STB, and how much the installation fee will be? I'm an original ntl area customer in Cambridge.

Seb

Shaun
13-11-2003, 20:40
£15 per month, and the instillation is free at the moment I believe ;)

Seb
13-11-2003, 20:44
£15 per month, and the instillation is free at the moment I believe ;)

Oooooh very tempting, do you happy to know how much the installation usually is, need to convince my self i'm gonna save a hefty sum ;)

Shaun
13-11-2003, 22:02
I'm willing to be corrected but I think its £50 ;)

Nemesis
13-11-2003, 22:03
I'm willing to be corrected but I think its £50 ;)
I think it's £15, used to be cheaper

Ramrod
13-11-2003, 22:26
Oooooh very tempting, do you happy to know how much the installation usually is, need to convince my self i'm gonna save a hefty sum ;)Go for it, you know you want to!:D

Brigham
14-11-2003, 08:40
I think £15 a month is an absolute disgrace. It was £5 a month 2 years ago. That's the reason I gave mine back. I notice the NTL prices slowly creeping upwards. I think the only 'good' value is the Basic package at £18 a month as this includes the phone line rental. It's not that I'm a tight-a***, and I can afford the full whack, it's just that I hate being ripped off....and don't even get me started on Speed Cameras!!

Anyway, that's off my chest now... everyone had a nice day?

Seb
14-11-2003, 10:12
I think £15 a month is an absolute disgrace. It was £5 a month 2 years ago.

Yer my mate told me he thought his was £5 a month, so i thought that was a bargain, and had to be snapped up straight away... but £15 i think is slightly excess, considering you can get a phone and the basic package for £18. I might as well just have the whole shazam.

Go for it, you know you want to!

Yes i do, but gotta convince my dad £15 is worth it though!!

Any chance of a discounted rental, as i am a long standing NTL customer, with all of their services! Yeah right, welcome to reality!!

Cheers for all ya help

Seb

Kneebs
14-11-2003, 15:54
Any chance of a discounted rental, as i am a long standing NTL customer, with all of their services! Yeah right, welcome to reality!!

Cheers for all ya help

Seb

Not likely !

I got my additional STB re-installed after being on a jolly for 3 months, and they were gonna charge me £50 install fee, and obviously the £15 per month. After a few phone calls, as a "goodwill gesture", and more so because I throw about £100 a month at them, they agreed to do the install at £25.

This is in Sunderland, but your area may charge differently - free installs are only (generally) available to new customers. I got mine re-installed about 2 months ago, so I doubt the prices wouldve changed since, but knowing NTL, who knows !!

Mick

peachey
14-11-2003, 16:16
one thing to point out with those additional stbs

if you have ,say, 3

and buy a pay perview event - eg the recent £15 boxing match
you only get to see it on that one box

you want to see it on all 3
you have to pay £45

not everyone seems to be aware of that

Kneebs
14-11-2003, 16:27
one thing to point out with those additional stbs

if you have ,say, 3

and buy a pay perview event - eg the recent £15 boxing match
you only get to see it on that one box

you want to see it on all 3
you have to pay £45

not everyone seems to be aware of that

On a similar note though, if you subscribe to Premiership +, then you only pay £1 per month, and its available on all of your boxes.

SMHarman
14-11-2003, 17:58
Analog boxes used to be £5.
Digital are £15.

Analog has now increased in price I think.

Was a bit of a shock when I got my first digital bill to see that price change. That was burried somewhere in the small print.

Proppinupthebar
14-11-2003, 18:13
I think £15 a month is an absolute disgrace. It was £5 a month 2 years ago. That's the reason I gave mine back. I notice the NTL prices slowly creeping upwards. I think the only 'good' value is the Basic package at £18 a month as this includes the phone line rental. It's not that I'm a tight-a***, and I can afford the full whack, it's just that I hate being ripped off....and don't even get me started on Speed Cameras!!

Anyway, that's off my chest now... everyone had a nice day?

How is it a disgrace? How much do you think the box costs ntl and at £15 a month how long before they re-coup the cost of the box?
Sky charge you £15 for a mirror subscription but you also have to buy your second box.

Speed cameras only catch you if you are speeding. I never speed. :angel:

;)

SMHarman
18-11-2003, 10:01
How is it a disgrace? How much do you think the box costs ntl and at £15 a month how long before they re-coup the cost of the box?
Sky charge you £15 for a mirror subscription but you also have to buy your second box.
<snip>
;)

It used to be a benefit of NTL that a second subscription was lower than Skys. A selling point. Now, well it's not really. IMHO most Sky second subscriptions would be with a old STB that has been replaced by an upgraded model.

John C Huggins
26-11-2003, 18:46
Hi
Bare with me as I am not technically gifted.

I have NTL digital TV and I would like digital TV in another two rooms. NTL want £ 100 install fee plus an additional £ 30 per month. GULP!

I Notice on Ebay that DITV4000 STB's are readily available to purchase. Firstly, can I install these easily? If so how?. Is it legal as far as NTL are concerned? Are there any other problems?

JayCee

grum1978
26-11-2003, 18:52
I hope that the thread linked below answers the question for you?
http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4169&highlight=illegal

:)

Stuart
26-11-2003, 20:50
Hi

I have NTL digital TV and I would like digital TV in another two rooms. NTL want £ 100 install fee plus an additional £ 30 per month. GULP!

I Notice on Ebay that DITV4000 STB's are readily available to purchase. Firstly, can I install these easily? If so how?. Is it legal as far as NTL are concerned? Are there any other problems?

JayCee
It's not legal (the boxes remain NTL property so you are in effect buying stolen goods).

It also won't work. Each box will only work with the smart card it is supplied with, and together, they will only work in the area they were supplied in.

And, when you plug it in the box will send a unique ID code to NTL, so they'll know who has sold the box, and who has bought it.

SMHarman
27-11-2003, 09:15
Hmm, well you not going to get the £30 reduced, NTL have to pay a fee for the channels you are getting in 3 places and also have to pay for the STBs, but on the other hand I agree the £15 a month is a little high, but no more than sky.

You can apparantly get free install, see the thread below.

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4533

Boxes on Ebay are something that should have been collected from customers. A box as it's directly connected to the NTL network is in contravention of their t&cs it also is probably theft, both of goods, and of the transmission (if you succeed in reading it), and also is unlikely to work as the box/card/network are not authenticated to each other so while it recieves a signal it will not unscramble it. The box may also not be compatible with the network segment you are on. Ntl effectively have two CATV networks.

The options is to buy a remote sender thingy that transmits the picture and sends back the remote commands from / to a remote tv, or string a coax from the back of the stb to the other TV. Both of these replicate the output of the first stb, so don't give the benefit of being able to watch two digital channels at once.

Also depending on what channels you want to replicate you might consider freeview, (e.g. if you wanted CBBC in the kids room).

John C Huggins
27-11-2003, 13:44
Well thanks for all the feed back guys. I think I have unwittingly opened a can of worms, there were three STB's on Ebay for sale all from the same guy, all were receiving bids until after my query was posted. Within a couple of hours I received mail from Ebay saying that the items I was biding for (the STB's) had been withdrawn owing to the seller breaching the rules of sale!
Could this be big brother watching over us?

jay-cee

Brigham
28-11-2003, 00:07
Hi

JayCee

Don't even go there! Not worth the legal fees. You will have noticed a thread in the forum where I asked a similar question. NTL own all the digi boxes so it would appear to be illegal to sell and buy them. Certainly it would be illegal to use one if you didn't inform NTL.

flurdy
05-12-2003, 09:50
Instead of paying £15, I presume you can just set up a mini media distribution. Ie. Run an arial lead ring between all rooms that need it from the stb.? Pipe it tru your video and dvd as well, to receive that in all rooms and your sorted.

Now i dont have ntl yet, but i presume it has a coax out as well as scart? if not then a modulator should do the trick.

Of course you are then restricted to either watchin the same digital channel on all tvs, or a terrestial channel, but I wouldnt pay £180 per year for another box.

bob_builder
05-12-2003, 11:12
Instead of paying £15, I presume you can just set up a mini media distribution. Ie. Run an arial lead ring between all rooms that need it from the stb.? Pipe it tru your video and dvd as well, to receive that in all rooms and your sorted.

Now i dont have ntl yet, but i presume it has a coax out as well as scart? if not then a modulator should do the trick.

Of course you are then restricted to either watchin the same digital channel on all tvs, or a terrestial channel, but I wouldnt pay £180 per year for another box.
Correct, the NTL box has Scart and RF out.

If you really wanted to watch different channels you could get 3 Freeview boxes for £180 (as long as you can receive Freeview)!

SMHarman
05-12-2003, 11:19
You would need to modulate your DVD output, unless it has an RF output.

You would also need to go to the STB to change channels unless you put some IR sender technology in place.

Freeview does not have the channels I would want to watch, hence I pay the £15 a month.