PDA

View Full Version : Swapping MAC addresse with NTL - question

Piotr
24-01-2006, 14:43
Hi all

I’m new with this forum but I would like to ask a question:

My friend gave me almost new NTL modem (ntl250) and I would like to swap it with my old one (120) but I’m not sure if it’s doable?
Is there any possibility to swap MAC numbers between two NTL modems?

Sorry for my English but I’m still learning.

Thanks

Aragorn
24-01-2006, 14:57
Piotr, :welcome: to CF

1. NTL CM's belong to NTL and are not free for your friend to give away.
2. Even if it were possible to convince the network that it is a valid registered CM, it would be illegal - so we can't condone that.

Sorry.

Piotr
24-01-2006, 15:30
Aragorn ->> Thanks anyway

I was thinking same way but i wasn't sure.

Thanks again

rebel
24-01-2006, 17:12
Piotr, :welcome: to CF

1. NTL CM's belong to NTL and are not free for your friend to give away.
2. Even if it were possible to convince the network that it is a valid registered CM, it would be illegal - so we can't condone that.

Sorry.

HI all I'm also new to this forum..
What if you bought a new cable modem, a motorola or somthing like this, would it work with NTL's cable. I have a home 120 and have been experiencing probs for the last week, so was thinking of swapping it out for a new CM?

Wod
24-01-2006, 17:26
Yes it should do.

Piotr
24-01-2006, 17:28
What if you bought a new cable modem, a motorola or somthing like this, would it work with NTL's cable. I have a home 120 and have been experiencing probs for the last week, so was thinking of swapping it out for a new CM?

What I think that is other thing because with modem different than NTL You can clona MAC addresse from Your 120.

ian@huth
24-01-2006, 17:33
What if you bought a new cable modem, a motorola or somthing like this, would it work with NTL's cable. I have a home 120 and have been experiencing probs for the last week, so was thinking of swapping it out for a new CM?NTL only allow the modems that they have supplied to be used on their network. Buy your own and you could end up with an expensive doorstop.

Wod
24-01-2006, 17:35
Yes,if thats what your going to do its illegal.I know how tempting it is but dont do it,You will end up having no isp!,It shouldnt be discussed on this forum,so i suggest you dont bring this up again lol.

geoffbob30
26-01-2006, 00:17
i swapped with my dad and they were fine about it i had to ring cs and so did my dad so we could swap mac addresses

rebel
26-01-2006, 10:16
thnx for the answers guys

SLM
26-01-2006, 10:46

If your modem is faulty ring ntl faults and report it, its a 0800 number and free call out and fix (so long as its not you equipment at fault) so no need to buy any kind of modem.