PDA

View Full Version : PS2 forum policy?

trickydisko
26-06-2003, 10:55
The news page "The Phoenix Rises" says:

freedom of speech will be more relaxed than on the ntl owned site

and:

We will not be censoring criticism of ntl unless it is blatantly abusive and offensive to others

I know it's early days here, and this site's staff must have an almost endless list of things to do, but when you've got a spare moment could you please clarify a few things?

1. Is discussion relating to using a PS2 (or Xbox) without paying the £5/month NTL surcharge for the hub service prohibited here?

2. Is discussion relating to import gaming prohibited here?

3. Is discussion relating to the use of any modchips in any way banned here?

4. Is discussion relating to the use of any specific modchips or specific uses of modchips banned here?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

trickydisko

imback
26-06-2003, 11:15
Is chipping a console illegal ? I thought it was using it to play copied games that was illegal, chipping it just invalidates the warranty.

I'm probably wrong though:spin:

imback
26-06-2003, 11:31
Like I said, I was probably wrong :D

Ah well, there's no PS2 chipping or P2P for me now that I have found out they are both illegal :p ;)

Defiant
26-06-2003, 11:35
PS-The basic (legal) reasoning behind this is that Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo claim their console's design is patented/copyrighted, and if you alter it in any way, you are infringing that (in a nutshell, there is obviously more to it than that, but you get the picture)

Its not being altered though its just having something added to it. A nice new shiny chip :D

trickydisko
26-06-2003, 18:31
Originally posted by Andre
You are wrong I'm afraid! :p

If I remember correctly, the only place that 'chipping' is not against the law is Australia for some bizarre reason.

Lots more information here. (http://www.elspa.co.uk/piracy/legal.asp)

All well and good, except that's a complete smokescreen, as is usual from ELSPA. It's worth noting that the sentence mentioning "chipping" is written by ELSPA and is not present in the CDPA itself.

s296 of the CDPA has relevance where someone uses or helps someone else to use a device which makes an infringing copy of a copyright work. Modchips do not do this - you do not enable your PS2 to make "backup" copies of games by fitting a modchip. Copies of games are made with PCs and CD writers, not PS2s with modchips. Therefore, modchips should not be prohibited by s296!

trickydisko