PDA

View Full Version : NTL Cable Modem Problems

laptopsrd
23-01-2006, 20:42
Hi well I'm thinking about shifting away from NTL after 4 years. In fairness to NTL i've had few problems in the last 2 years since I moved house but just lately I've had a lot of problems with disconnections. The Ambit Modem just goes down to the power light, ENET and RDY no sync no U/S No D/S. powering off the modem, waiting a few secs and re powering it up seemed to clear it. Its tended to happen every weekend and there was a period a few months ago it was every other night.
Anyway this week we've had to reboot 4 times so I decided enough was enough and I needed to get NTL to look at it. Their response? Oh. we've only got a record of 9 reboots in 2 years "its ok according to our system". Just not interested. Anyone know who's a good provider in Basingstoke? NTL arent interested in me as a customer anymore... their loss (mind you they probably dont care)

Steve

KevAmiga
24-01-2006, 10:42
In 2 years? I dont think so, its a reporting phase.

Id give them a call back if i was you... If you need to keep rebooting the modem then there is a fault somewhere.

What speed of broadband are you on? What model of modem??

Wod
24-01-2006, 18:01
What speed and what firmware you using?

andyfras
17-11-2006, 23:12
I have been having problems with no sync light and having to reboot frequently. So I took the lid off the modem and found 5 capacitors with bulging tops, which is a sure sign of failure; they were all 470uF 6V3.

I replaced them all and the modem is now working perfectly again.

Most people would not be prepared to do this, I know, but it shows how these modems fail and that if you get these problems, you should get NTL to replace it.

jaycee
18-11-2006, 03:21
Not surprising, I've seen the inside of one and theyre usually cheap-ass caps made by TEAPO. Under the high stress of a switchmode regulator, these pop their tops.

As for the original post - was this connected via USB or via Ethernet? Have you tried it with another PC to rule out a faulty Ethernet card (it does happen!) If using USB, try Ethernet.

mmm
20-11-2006, 20:57
I have been having problems with no sync light and having to reboot frequently. So I took the lid off the modem and found 5 capacitors with bulging tops, which is a sure sign of failure; they were all 470uF 6V3.

I replaced them all and the modem is now working perfectly again.

Most people would not be prepared to do this, I know, but it shows how these modems fail and that if you get these problems, you should get NTL to replace it.

What type of ntl modem and what age? It is a sure bet that 1000s made at the same time will have the same problem, lots of big manufacturers Dell etc have been caught out by the old capacitor bug. Here's one old link to the old problem:-

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30328/article.html

andyfras
24-11-2006, 11:28
What type of ntl modem and what age?

It's an Ambit modem just under 3 years old.