PDA

View Full Version : New house no connection apparently!

fox 2
23-01-2006, 14:56
Hi I thought I would post and see if anybody had had a similar problem.

I've just moved into a new flat above a dentists. In my previous place I have been with telewest for about 10 years, so i thought i would stick with them when i move.

I checked the area on the website and for my address it tells me i am in an analogue area. Not so! The dentist all of a couple of feet below can recieve a digital connection, and every other house either side of me can!

The confusion seems to have come about when the property was split into 2. The address is wrong and says my flat is 30 the dentists flat. when its actually just 31.

The first guy i spoke to at customer support said it was no problem and they could connect me so he put me through a guy who would give me a quote. This guy was addament that i could not have a connection. I was told that a new cable would have to be laid the whole length of the road and that wasn't going to happen. Now correct me if im wrong but the cable already there will have a maximum load so unless every single person in that street has a connection and that equals the max connections then there is still room on it!? If so i checked if the dentist was using theirs. No was the reply but i could only give you a business telephone line on that. Ummma connection is a connection surely??!?! what is services are wired in and passed through are decided at installation if you see what i mean?

So after getting nowhere what so ever I really don't know where to go from here! I love to speak to sombody who knows what they are talking about. I just strikes me as ridiculous that I am all of 10 ft from an access pit and can't be wired in, but every property below me and to the sides can!

I really dont want to go the BT route as i can only get 1 mb internet there, plus id then have to get sky for the tv.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

fox 2
25-01-2006, 10:00
after another call to someone a lot more helpful, they are going to send a spotter out to check if its possible. so fingers crossed!