PDA

View Full Version : High Blood Preassure - What can i do?

TheBlueRaja
23-01-2006, 13:45
Apparently im on the verge of what is acceptable (135/89) :eek:

Any ideas about how to reduce it?

More fruit and veg obviously, less salt (never took that much anyway) and it looks like my weekend fry up has to go.

Anything else?

Graham M
23-01-2006, 13:47
Are you overweight?

danielf
23-01-2006, 13:56

More fruit and veg obviously, less salt (never took that much anyway) and it looks like my weekend fry up has to go.

Anything else?

First of all, blood pressure measurement is one of the most unreliable measurements there is, so don't get worked up over one measurement. Blood pressure does fluctuate a lot as well. Where did you get it measured? It is not unheard of for people to have considerably higher measurements at the GP than they have at home (so-called 'white coat hypertension'). It may be worth getting yourself a blood pressure monitor to check if you really are high. Argos do automatic ones from £20.

If you are high: limit your alcohol intake (if relevant), loose weight if overweight, and make sure you get plenty of exercise.

Mick
23-01-2006, 13:58

Anything else?

135/89 is actually not that high that would get doctors panicking. Was this a first or second measurement?

homealone
23-01-2006, 14:05
I have high blood pressure, for which I am prescribed medication. I have reduced salt, stopped smoking, make sure I get a decent diet & exercise by biking to work, which all helps to keep it under control.

One thing I was advised re the 'home' blood pressure monitors is to only use them for comparison, rather than an absolute measurement. I was told they are useful for identifying trends, but aren't reliable enough, otherwise.

- in fact the practice nurse at my GP's surgery can never get a decent reading on me, using an 'automatic' meter & has to use the 'old fashioned' method with the cuff & stethoscope.

SMHarman
23-01-2006, 14:06
Did they take your pulse aswell?

ian@huth
Who took the blood pressure reading that worries you and how did they take it?

Blood pressure varies throughout the day depending on what you are doing and many other factors. If you have concerns about your blood pressure then consult your doctor and he will advise onwhether you should be concerned and what action you need take.

Salu

Anything else?

This is slightly high for someone your age. Are you about 2-3 stone overweight? If so just losing that may lower it.

You may well be surprised at how much salt could be in your diet. Crisps, cereal, ready meals etc etc. 6g per day is the recommended daily maximum.

As Zeph imtimates, losing weight is one way. Reducing your saturated fats intake and taking regular exercise will help.

Is high blood pressure in your family? Do you drink excessive alcohol? Is there kidney disease/diabetes in your family? Do you take excerise? Do you smoke?

That said. Your BP isn't off the scale so you shouldn't panic but take it as a warning sign. There are rarely any symptoms with hypertension and will often only be detected while investigating something else.

PM me if you want to discuss specifics..

ian@huth
23-01-2006, 14:16
You may well be surprised at how much salt could be in your diet. Crisps, cereal, ready meals etc etc. 6g per day is the recommended daily maximum.

We bought a couple of sandwiches in Tesco the other day and my wife said "yikes, that sandwich has 46% fat". I knew that couldn't be right so I checked the figures and what they show is the percentage of your daily requirements of fat, salt, calories, etc. Salt content was around the 45% mark on many of the sandwiches so you can easily take in far more than you need.

TheBlueRaja
23-01-2006, 14:26
Well, im not overweight - by much - i could loose maybe a couple of stone though - but hey - who couldnt?

I had the BP Test done by my nurse at the doctors, as at christmas my mum (who has high BP) got one of those testers from my dad and i tried it - she said it was high so i went to the docs to get it checked out.

It was done 3 times, the "high number" was always around 135, but the lower number went 98 / 89 / 89 for the three tests.

I was asked to take a blood test too - the results of which i get next week - so i presume i will find out more then.

I do drink, although nearly exclusively at the weekends, i do smoke a little - about 5 rollies a day after work - nothing else - and nothing added if you catch my drift. (This is stopping now).

I eat good and bad like everyone else i suppose and excersise on and off.

Saturated fats are bad for you then - so are the unsaturated ones good? And what are the daily allowances of salt and fat and all that stuff...

Mick
23-01-2006, 14:39
It was done 3 times, the "high number" was always around 135, but the lower number went 98 / 89 / 89 for the three tests.

The first result might of indicated 'White-coat hypertension' a result of anxiety of having the test done by a doctor or nurse as that is very high for your age. However the second and third show a fairly consistent result, though slightly high and not off the scale as Salu said but still a warning sign not to be ignored nonetheless. :)

Salu
23-01-2006, 15:10
Well, im not overweight - by much - i could loose maybe a couple of stone though - but hey - who couldnt?

I had the BP Test done by my nurse at the doctors, as at christmas my mum (who has high BP) got one of those testers from my dad and i tried it - she said it was high so i went to the docs to get it checked out.

I was asked to take a blood test too - the results of which i get next week - so i presume i will find out more then.

I do drink, although nearly exclusively at the weekends, i do smoke a little - about 5 rollies a day after work - nothing else - and nothing added if you catch my drift. (This is stopping now).

I eat good and bad like everyone else i suppose and excersise on and off.

Saturated fats are bad for you then - so are the unsaturated ones good? And what are the daily allowances of salt and fat and all that stuff...

There is recent evidence that suggests that smoking only a small number of cigarettes can be almost as harmful as smoking 20 a day. Especially you smoke rollups with no filter. I'd quit if you can....

Yes, excess saturated fats are not good. Butter, lard, suet and are examples. They increase your cholesterol and increase your risk of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries)

Get rid of the excess weight, it will help!

Keep an eye on the diastolic (2nd number) which in your case is around 90-95
You would probably find yourself on medication if it rises over 100-105. An increasing diastolic is a good predictor of increased risk of heart attack. The further the two numbers get from each other (pulse pressure) the more concerning it is.

Again though its worth reiterating that sometimes too much information can produce unnecessary concern. Don't go measuring your BP every day wondering when the heart attack will happen....! Just be sensible and live a balanced life.

homealone
23-01-2006, 15:15

ok, rough guide

'recommended daily amount' (RDA) for fat is max 95g of which no more than 30g should be saturated.

<edit> bear in mind a healthy diet needs some fat in it, as some vitamins are only soluble in fat and there are some 'essential' fatty acids that the body can only get from the diet.

RDA for salt is max 6g

As a 'rule of thumb' anything containing more than 20% fat per 100g is 'high in fat', while anything containing more than 5% saturated fats per 100g is 'high in saturates'.

You should try to reduce saturated fat (animal fats such as cream, butter, lard, dripping are high in saturated fat), especially partially hydrogenated fats (often used in biscuits, cakes etc), which can contain 'trans' fatty acids which increase 'bad' cholesterol.

Mono-unsaturated fats like Olive oil are good, as are polyunsaturated ones like Sunflower oil. Especially good are fish oils, which are unsaturated and contain 'omega3' fatty acids, which have a number of health benefits - so trout, salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel, are all good (and tasty, too).

One other tip - check out 'oven chips', these are usually less than 5% fat, often unsaturated - and cooked in the oven, as recommended, they contain far less fat than the ones from the chippy.

SMHarman
23-01-2006, 16:07
Trans Fat, fat that has been hydrogenated (bubbled with hydrogen) to make it hard is very bad for you.

By the sounds of thinks diet and excercise will be what you need. My BP and resting heart rate (and weight) have dropped considerably since I started excercising properly a year ago.

homealone
23-01-2006, 16:18
Trans Fat, fat that has been hydrogenated (bubbled with hydrogen) to make it hard is very bad for you.

By the sounds of thinks diet and excercise will be what you need. My BP and resting heart rate (and weight) have dropped considerably since I started excercising properly a year ago.

The worst are the 'partially hydrogenated' fats - 'fully hydrogenated' fats don't contain trans fatty acids, although being 'fully hydrogenated' means they are fully saturated, so they are not exactly 'good', just not as 'bad' as the partially hardened ones.

- unfortunately there is no legislation in the UK to require declaration of trans fat on food labels (yet).

SMHarman
23-01-2006, 16:21
- unfortunately there is no legislation in the UK to require declaration of trans fat on food labels (yet).Curiously - US food labeling legislation is lagging here also - yet most foods are properly highlighted as 0 trans fats as part of a marketing drive.

nighthawk
23-01-2006, 16:27
Wouldn't worry to much about it. I am still alive & have a blood pressure of 165 / 95. I am on pills now but barring the extra weight i could do with loosing there is nothing else to relate to it.

I do not smoke, i excersire regulary, my colesterol is almost perfect (3.2). The only thing i can possible explain mine with is that i do not sleep very well (about 4-5 hours max a day).

homealone
23-01-2006, 16:35
- unfortunately there is no legislation in the UK to require declaration of trans fat on food labels (yet).Curiously - US food labeling legislation is lagging here also - yet most foods are properly highlighted as 0 trans fats as part of a marketing drive.

From Jan 2006 the FDA say the US are supposed to start labelling trans fat levels - except that any value less than 0.5% can be stated as zero :(

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans2.html#s3q5

TheBlueRaja
23-01-2006, 16:55
ok, rough guide

'recommended daily amount' (RDA) for fat is max 95g of which no more than 30g should be saturated.

<edit> bear in mind a healthy diet needs some fat in it, as some vitamins are only soluble in fat and there are some 'essential' fatty acids that the body can only get from the diet.

RDA for salt is max 6g

As a 'rule of thumb' anything containing more than 20% fat per 100g is 'high in fat', while anything containing more than 5% saturated fats per 100g is 'high in saturates'.

Noted :tu:

You should try to reduce saturated fat (animal fats such as cream, butter, lard, dripping are high in saturated fat), especially partially hydrogenated fats (often used in biscuits, cakes etc), which can contain 'trans' fatty acids which increase 'bad' cholesterol.

Dont eat any of that stuff.... Low fat milk only, Olivio "butter", dont eat chips (well maybe's on a Friday night after a few beers (No Kebab though - just a burger :D)) Hmmm - that'll have to go :cry:

Mono-unsaturated fats like Olive oil are good, as are polyunsaturated ones like Sunflower oil. Especially good are fish oils, which are unsaturated and contain 'omega3' fatty acids, which have a number of health benefits - so trout, salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel, are all good (and tasty, too).

Dont eat much fish to be honest - but cook in Olive Oil...

One other tip - check out 'oven chips', these are usually less than 5% fat, often unsaturated - and cooked in the oven, as recommended, they contain far less fat than the ones from the chippy.

Dont eat chips at home.

Ramrod
23-01-2006, 17:17
I have a family history of high BP, strokes, cholesterol and heart attacks :disturbd:
I got one of these (http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/MARS_Wrist_Blood_Pressure_Monitor_MS_900VX.html) off ebay about a year ago 'cos then I don't have to bother Mandy to have my BP taken. It's easy to use and wasn't too pricey. :)

Enuff
23-01-2006, 17:18
Salt is a big one! if u smoke cut it out or cut it down, less booze, and get more excersise... some people do all this and lead a very healthy lifestyle but still have high blood pressure and also high cholestrol. have you had your cholestrol checked?, its a silent killer! I advise most people to get it checked.

Mick
23-01-2006, 17:34
I have a family history of high BP, strokes, cholesterol and heart attacks :disturbd:
I got one of these (http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/MARS_Wrist_Blood_Pressure_Monitor_MS_900VX.html) off ebay about a year ago 'cos then I don't have to bother Mandy to have my BP taken. It's easy to use and wasn't too pricey. :)

I bought a BP monitor for under a tenner from Lloyds Pharmacy back in November last year as I have also been suffering from hypertension - It was on a deal as it usually retails at £34.99. Although its wise not to take the results these give as absolute, it is an indicative measure - I used it on my brother last week, who is a lot younger than I am - he is only 19, he's of slim build and his results were very worrying that he made an appointment to see the doctors the very next day. The doctor has since now referred him to the hospital.

It is an invisible killer this and I wish more and more people could be educated that high blood pressure is a serious condition if left untreated/undetected.

Angua
23-01-2006, 17:45
Bananas are supposed to help reduce high blood pressure BBC Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/264552.stm)

It sounds like you are doing the right things already and the best way to reduce things still further is to avoid processed food and get cooking.
Pot noodles are off the scale when it comes to salt content.:Yikes:

Ramrod
23-01-2006, 17:53
I used it on my brother last week, who is a lot younger than I am - he is only 19, he's of slim build and his results were very worrying that he made an appointment to see the doctors the very next day. The doctor has since now referred him to the hospital.Crikey! :shocked: Lucky you had the sphygy.....is there a history of early heart disease in your family?
Fish oils have been shown to decrease the risk of a second (iirc) heart attack link (http://www.oilofpisces.com/angina.html) & link (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15306094&query_hl=2&itool=pubmed_docsum)
Basically, I take fish oil (http://www.highernature.co.uk/cgi-bin/HN.storefront) from a good source (to avoid toxins) in the hope that it will lower the risk of an initial heart attack....

Sudden death is one of the most common modes of death in those who survive a myocardial infarction. A recent study of 11,324 patients showed a marked decrease in risk of sudden cardiac death as well as a reduction in all-cause mortality in the post-myocardial infarction group taking a highly purified form of omega-3 fatty acids, added to the use of other secondary prevention drugs, including b-blockers and lipid-lowering therapy. There is now amounting evidence indicating that the clinical benefits of highly purified omega-3 fatty acids may be attributed to their anti-arrhythmogenic properties.

Saaf_laandon_mo
23-01-2006, 17:57
Qucik question to all our health gurus..... I have recently been experiencing a constant tingling sensation in my left arm, and also dull aching there too. Should i be worried about impending heart attack/ stroke or am i worrying over nothing? I have recently been feeling out of breath but i put that down to general fitness as this onbly happens after any exertion. Should i make a appt with the GP?

Ramrod
23-01-2006, 18:15
Qucik question to all our health gurus..... I have recently been experiencing a constant tingling sensation in my left arm, and also dull aching there too. Should i be worried about impending heart attack/ stroke or am i worrying over nothing? I have recently been feeling out of breath but i put that down to general fitness as this onbly happens after any exertion. Should i make a appt with the GP?Definitely make an appointment with the GP or practice nurse...how old are you?

Enuff
23-01-2006, 18:18
Qucik question to all our health gurus..... I have recently been experiencing a constant tingling sensation in my left arm, and also dull aching there too. Should i be worried about impending heart attack/ stroke or am i worrying over nothing? I have recently been feeling out of breath but i put that down to general fitness as this onbly happens after any exertion. Should i make a appt with the GP?:erm: I dont mean to scare u but if I was experiencing those symptoms, I wouldn't wait to see my GP i'd be on my way to A&E better safe than sorry! You'll get seen right away too.

homealone
23-01-2006, 18:18
Qucik question to all our health gurus..... I have recently been experiencing a constant tingling sensation in my left arm, and also dull aching there too. Should i be worried about impending heart attack/ stroke or am i worrying over nothing? I have recently been feeling out of breath but i put that down to general fitness as this onbly happens after any exertion. Should i make a appt with the GP?

it could be nothing, and even Salu wouldn't risk a diagnosis on that evidence - just for peace of mind let your GP check you over.

It is an invisible killer this and I wish more and more people could be educated that high blood pressure is a serious condition if left untreated/undetected.

absolutely, mine was only diagnosed by chance, I am as skinny as a stick but had figures something like 190/140 - the nurse looked at me as if she was amazed I was still around - but I had no symptoms, at all...

<edit> slightly off topic but the ACE inhibitor 'Diovan' I am on, is manufactured just down the road from here.

Saaf_laandon_mo
23-01-2006, 18:32
im 36..... I have been putting off the GP unless it is something serious. How stupid does that sound now Ive typed it!? Guess the appt is gonna have to be made.

Angua
23-01-2006, 18:33

And very scary if you are pregnant. I got up to 220/160 :Yikes: so don't miss those checkups ladies.

Hom3r
23-01-2006, 18:37
My dad was told by his dr to lose weight (low fat diet) to help his blood pressure, they gave him a sheet of foods that he could eat without restriction, eat once a week, and eat only monthly.

He was aslo sent to the gym (for 3 months) which expire at christmas, but he has since joined and goes twice a week.

we weren't told of the amounts of fats etc to avoid, so my mum and I looked at every thing we buy and do not were possible go over it, and in the last 3 months he has lost nearly 3 stone.

Enuff
23-01-2006, 18:39
I have a regular checkup every 6 month, but it's mainly down to what you do in between the checkups that counts.

TheBlueRaja
23-01-2006, 19:43
Bananas are supposed to help reduce high blood pressure BBC Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/264552.stm)

It sounds like you are doing the right things already and the best way to reduce things still further is to avoid processed food and get cooking.
Pot noodles are off the scale when it comes to salt content.:Yikes:

Great post for me - i love Banannas but dont eat enough of them, time to get some.

And thats the last time i eat any Pot Noodle Bombay Bad boys, i'd developed a wee taste for them recently...

Salu
24-01-2006, 14:51
Definitely make an appointment with the GP or practice nurse...how old are you?

I agree. These symptoms need a physical examination and are not appropriate for the web diagnosticians here....

If it was a heart attack then it would most likely have already happened by now. The warning doesn't last long and that is why one should act quickly in these cases. It could also be angina which is closely aligned to a heart attack but resolvable. But you are young so that makes it less probable. More likely it is radicular nerve pain from your neck depending on where the ache/paraesthesia is but lots more questions would need to be asked before arriving at a diagnosis.