PDA

View Full Version : New Modem (10Mb)

cartman
23-01-2006, 10:46
Hi,

I have just recently upgraded to the 10mb service on saturday (23rd Jan) and it upgraded instantly which I was very pleased with.

The problem I am having is that since then I am not getting the full speed that I think I should be getting, currently I am getting around 4mb sometimes 5mb ish.

I have spoken to NTL BB Technical services (India:mad: ) and they have said that there is no problem with my modem and that is the speed i am always going to get.
They also tried to blame the fact im connecting through a router saying that a router always "Eats up half the speed" which is utter crap from what I understand.

I would just like to know is it possible to get a modem from one of the nice technical NTL:) :angel: people off of here instead of keep ringing up NTL.

I use a Terayon TJ210 if that helps any.

KevAmiga
23-01-2006, 11:11
I use a Terayon TJ210 if that helps any.

No good for 10mbps afaik.

Onlt has a 10mbps 1/2 duplex ethernet port, wont handle more than 5mbps.

Need a new modem i think ...

cartman
23-01-2006, 11:12
I have contacted NTL saying that but as you read above they didn't exactly do much about it.

KevAmiga
23-01-2006, 11:14
They are the only people that can help you mate, Im pretty sure that 10mbps wont come through a TJ210 (i only just came back to work lol so im a bit short on the 10mb stuffs).

Check that your ethernet card is running in 10mbps 1/2 duplex mode and tell them that. Or downgrade to 2mbps if they dont get a tech out.

cartman
23-01-2006, 11:18
Yup the card is running at the correct speed, I have tried to talk to them about it but as I say its like talking to a brick wall with them. :/

I was hoping that a techie off here could sort it out but if not I will just keep onto them.

Is there a time to ring NTL that makes sure you get through to someone English?

etccarmageddon
23-01-2006, 11:26
yeah ring customer services and threaten to cancel if they keep fobbing you off with this useless advice.

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

they might pull their fingers out if they realise they are losing a customer.

Jon M
23-01-2006, 11:27
The Terayon and the router could both be limiting the connection.

I had/have a Netgear RP114 which limits my connection to about 5-6mbit, I was also restricted by the Terayon before I swapped mine for an ntl:200.

The ONLY source for the modem will be direct from NTL. Anyone that tries to flog you one from here or any other site, is breaking the law.

Robert Atkins
23-01-2006, 11:28
I just spoke to them (I am in the Guildford area), they were both "English".

They will replace the modem, insist;)

cartman
23-01-2006, 11:35
Thanks for the replys everyone :)

I will insist to CS that they replace my modem, I take it CS can arrange for a new modem and I don't have to talk to the BB technical people?

Also when I do get a new modem will I need to speak to NTL to get me back online or will it do it automatically?

KevAmiga
23-01-2006, 11:53
Do yourself a favour though, and connect the modem directly to the PC before you call. That way, they cannot claim its the router.

Jon M
23-01-2006, 11:59
I take it CS can arrange for a new modem and I don't have to talk to the BB technical people?Yes
Also when I do get a new modem will I need to speak to NTL to get me back online or will it do it automatically?You will need to supply a new MAC address to CS over the phone and they will activate it.

Slyder
23-01-2006, 13:48
If they still persist on not changing it, you could accidently on purpose pour a cup of tea inside the ruddy thing. ;)

maverick
23-01-2006, 14:23
Word of warning,if you do damage the modem they may charge you for a new one.

darkone338
23-01-2006, 14:52
If they still persist on not changing it, you could accidently on purpose pour a cup of tea inside the ruddy thing. ;)

Also in the guildford area, spoke to CS twice last week.. they will change your modem, without complaining.... but you have to pay them the £50 first.

I personally think its disgusting the guy next door who has been an NTL customer for 6 months, is getting 10mb with no issues at all.. but I'm stuck with the Terajet that was installed 4 years ago and I have to pay the same as him for a lesser service.
The line "its labeled as UP TO 10MB" just doesnt cut it, as its not my fault that the service isn't reaching full speed..

Of course, you can always go somewhere else.. I'm sure I'll be jumped upon by people on the forums here.. In which case, for an ethernet modem, I'll end up paying at least £50 still.. so its a catch 22 situation .. :(

KevAmiga
23-01-2006, 16:05
but you have to pay them the £50 first.

Eh?

So they charge you an install fee?

I'd say - change it for free or im going 1mbps.

:tu:

darkone338
23-01-2006, 16:17
I was told, and I'm sure I read here somewhere too, that its £50 to upgrade your modem or stay with what you have and be done with it.

grubbymitts
23-01-2006, 16:36
I'd drop down to 2mb. Unlimited downloads, a -sort of sometimes hopefully- consistent speed and cheaper. The more people drop down to 2mb and put a finger up at NTL, the more chance NTL will be forced to sort out the problems, improve the service and dump their stupid 70gb cap. Then we'd all probably go to the faster speeds.

cartman
23-01-2006, 17:53
I have never had any real problems with their service, I don't really mind about the cap either.

The only reason I upgraded was to have the faster speeds not because I download alot.
Also I have now tried it without the router in the way and I am still getting the same speeds as before. :/
So do you have to pay for the modem or is it free?

sicknote
23-01-2006, 17:58
no no
change it for free or im taking my services elsewhere:)
trust me i did this and many others to and they WILL no matter what anyone else says on here give you a free upgrade on the modem

cartman
23-01-2006, 18:01
Excellent :)

Thanks everyone for your help, I shall ring them tomorrow and sort this annoying problem out.

KevAmiga
23-01-2006, 18:59
Let us know how you get along.

Mick Fisher
23-01-2006, 23:43
I have been getting just over 8meg from a Tjet since the 10meg service started.
However for the last 2 days the max speed I can obtain here in NN10 has dropped to 3meg.
This seems in line with what many others are experiencing.
It appears Ntl's network is falling apart since the introduction of the so called 10meg service so I doubt that changing your modem will have any effect.
Mind you if you can get a 250 with out paying £50 then of course go for it.

KevAmiga
24-01-2006, 10:39
8meg from a Tjet

Hmm odd, i thought the 210X modems had a 10mbit 1/2 duplex ethernet port.

Maybe you have a different revison Terayon?

Wod
24-01-2006, 17:57
Say the ethernet hub isnt working, UsB doesnt support 10Mb right?

KevAmiga
24-01-2006, 18:19
Good question... im wondering if TJ210X modems can support 10mbps on USB, i doubt it.

USB - Bottleneck :)

Mick Fisher
24-01-2006, 19:14
>Maybe you have a different revison Terayon?

Dunno? It just says Terayon TJ210 on the front.

ian@huth
24-01-2006, 20:58
I would imagine that NTL do not have sufficient stocks of SACM's to replace every customer who has equipment that is not capable of receiving the full 10 Mbps and do not have the manpower to quickly install them if they do have them. The £50 charge may just be a queue jumping charge for those who cannot wait to be done for free at some point in the future.