PDA

View Full Version : Itunes buying ntl in hostile takeover?

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 01:19
Itunes buying ntl in hostile takeover?
just heard it on a podcast :dozey:

deadite66
22-01-2006, 01:25
erm, ahh well a podcast... must be true then ;)

Stuart
22-01-2006, 01:34
Surely you mean Apple? Itunes isn't a company.

Paul
22-01-2006, 01:45
Hmm, is that a pig I see flying ;)

Stuart
22-01-2006, 02:09
driver problems, can you tell us where this podcast is?

I personally don't believe it, as NTL have been quite open with us about takeovers (to the point of sending us press releases), and I really cannot believe they wouldn't inform us of this.

Also, I don't believe it would be in Apple's interest.

If they wanted a UK ISP, then it would be cheaper for them to set up an ADSL ISP.

If they wanted access to UK TV content for the iTunes video store, well, buying NTL probably wouldn't give them that, as the TV companies would probably want to negotiate internet distribution rights seperately from any deals they have for broadcasting.

Also, 97% of the users Apple would have to support would be PC users. Apple tend not to do this with their paid-for products. For example, Spruce Up DVD was an excellent PC based DVD authoring system, Apple bought it, ported it to the Mac, renamed it DVD Studio Pro and terminated the PC version. If they did this with NTL, they would lose 97% of NTL's users.

Finally, if they wanted a service to bundle with a Media Centre style Mac, well, they do have a Media Centre style Mac (iMac with Front Row), but this does not include any TV reception facilities, and, if it did, it would have to lose the simple remote control Apple have been using as a selling point.

Paul K
22-01-2006, 10:54
Pure BS by the sound of it, someone making unsubstantiated claims on a podcast. If Apple were thinking of making a hostile bid for NTL I would think Virgin would have something to say about. I can't find even a hint of a rumour through searches on Google and lets face it the Internet is normally the first place these rumours surface.

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 13:00
driver problems, can you tell us where this podcast is?

We were trying out my itrip griffin thing last night.It was on someones ipod but was probably rubbish. Just cos someone says something does not make it correct :(

zing_deleted
22-01-2006, 13:14
I just made a hostile take over bid for ntl.I foned them and said sell me your company now for £25 in a very stern voice.They said no :(