PDA

View Full Version : First Timer Install

COL
20-01-2006, 12:32
HI all
i am about to get 1mg broadband fitted
(when they eventually turn up. they were supposed to turn up on the 19th between 12 an 6 they didnt so i phoned them and the excuse was that i was the engineers last job and he broke down on the way to me.
well thanks for telling me and if i was the last job on his/her list then why did i have to wait from 12-6 ?)

sorry moaning over now they are coming on sat morning now

i just have a couple of questions if anyone can help

i have looked for the little plastic cap outside but cannot find one does this mean they wont be able to set me up. the house 2 doors down has one and a box on their wall.

do they bury the wires from the pavement to my house wall as i have a concrete path all the way around my house.

how long does it on average take to sort out.

thanks in advance for any help

Russ
20-01-2006, 12:46
Welsome to the site :wavey:

If there's no cable currently installed then the operation usually takes around an hour and a half to 2 hours but that depends. The full instal includes attaching the box to your house.

Usually they bury the cables under a garden or something - not sure how they deal with houses with none :shrug:

Nedkelly
20-01-2006, 16:32
First they will find the T the plastic point in street and pull the cable from the box in the street.Then they will dig your garden to the house as you say you have path roung your house .Some techs will use a expansion joint in the path to get to your house some will grind a small channel to drop the cable in .The installers should disscuss the route that the cable should take.From the brown box ETB they will run the cables to what ever services you have taken.

SmileyMan
20-01-2006, 20:30
Maybe a idea to decide how you want the cable to be run to your house before they arrive

If its paving slabs they will be lifted and cable buried under but if solid concreate a channel will have to be cut out to lay cable

If you dont have a connection point in the street (called a tee or pot) as long as the main duct runs pass they will install one, Just be aware that the first install day will be aborted as a new tee needs construction crew that takes time to bring in

The drop cable (the cable from the cabinet in the street to the brown omni on your house) should be underground at all times

hoggyspuds
20-01-2006, 21:58
HI all
i am about to get 1mg broadband fitted
(when they eventually turn up. they were supposed to turn up on the 19th between 12 an 6 they didnt so i phoned them and the excuse was that i was the engineers last job and he broke down on the way to me.
well thanks for telling me and if i was the last job on his/her list then why did i have to wait from 12-6 ?)

sorry moaning over now they are coming on sat morning now

i just have a couple of questions if anyone can help

i have looked for the little plastic cap outside but cannot find one does this mean they wont be able to set me up. the house 2 doors down has one and a box on their wall.

do they bury the wires from the pavement to my house wall as i have a concrete path all the way around my house.

how long does it on average take to sort out.

thanks in advance for any help

When i moved here over 5 years ago, i had a "pot" on the footpath outside. Installers came, drilled down under the garden wall, dug a line across the garden and then tracked a one metre section of concrete path to the front wall of my house. Tracked section was then filled with cement...yes! they brought their own. Garden recovered from the cut in 2 months and you cant now see the tracked bit in the concrete. Professional job done.

homealone
20-01-2006, 22:24
ours initially had an 'engineering' delay due to concrete in the 'T', but once that was sorted they managed to install under my block paved drive without any problems, so far :)

COL
23-01-2006, 09:31
well that was fun

what a joke i waited in all day and they didnt turn up. i rang ntl an asked what was gioing on (o i am sorry he has broke down on his way out to you can we come on saturday morning) i agreed.

so saturday morning comes i sit in waiting again more time off work.8,9,10,11,12 still no engineer.
i again ring ntl to find out whats happening (o they can turn up any time before 1)
so waited again til 1, no engineer i rang ntl again (o they sometimes run late il ring them and find out what time they will get to you)
i was then told 2.30
well as you can guess 2.30 came and still no engineer i couldnt be bothered ringing again to be lied to.

4.30 they turned up an couldnt find the connection box in the street so wired it from my neighbours box and ran the cable all the way around my house up over my gate up over my back door and down through into my dinning room my missis can wire neater than that.

so they eventually fit every thing and i go to install my cd go through the whole thing then it asks for a phone number.
i havent got one so tried my mobile no joy.
so tried to ring them again and no the call centre shut at 5 pm what a joke
eventuall got through to technical support who guided me through it.
why dont the engineers just set it up for you before they go.

they are a disgrace i didnt even get an appology for waitng in all day again :mad:

well any way i have managed to get it all running now i think soz to moan