PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike racks for cars

ikthius
20-01-2006, 08:23
Hey everyone.

I was wondering if any of you guys and gals have bike racks for your car.

if so what is the rack like e.g. roof rack or boot rack.
is it any good? is it cheap? is it safe & secure?

I am looking for one of these racks but do not know which one to go for.
could you help?

I have a seat leon 1.6 2001 model

ik

Paul K
20-01-2006, 09:05
Where are you looking to take the bikes? Some of the parks round here have height restriction bars at the entrances to stop people flytipping etc.

handyman
20-01-2006, 09:28
I have a boot bike rack from asda cost about £25 carries 3 bikes though only gets 2. Can reccomend it and it should fit your car. Halfords stock them also.

Halcyon
20-01-2006, 10:48
We have friends that have the boot ones. They are meant to be better and have less air resistance than those up on top.
Maybe the store Halford's would have some.

Chris
20-01-2006, 11:10
We have friends that have the boot ones. They are meant to be better and have less air resistance than those up on top.
Maybe the store Halford's would have some.

If you get a boot mounted one, remember to get a plate with your reg.no. and rear lights on it as well. The police can and do stop you if you obscure your lights and registration with a bike rack.

ikthius
20-01-2006, 12:25
Ok I live near Clydebank in Scotland, and mainly I will be using the rack to go to my friends house which is 60 miles away. He lives in the country near cumnock Scotland.

he has a lot of off road routes there, so height restrictions don't apply.

then I will be taking the car and bike(s) around scotland on some weekends when I am off to do a bit of off road cycling.

I won't be using it all the time, but occasionally.

how secure is the boot racks? cause I know that the roof racks are more expensive.

ik

handyman
20-01-2006, 12:35
how secure is the boot racks? cause I know that the roof racks are more expensive.
ik

Secure as in falling off or secure as in getting pinched?

ikthius
20-01-2006, 13:07
ik
Secure as in falling off or secure as in getting pinched?

as in falling off, I don't think it would get pinched if I take it off.

But is it safe to hold the bikes securely without having the chance to fall off during a motorway run?

ik

handyman
20-01-2006, 13:13
We have to go down windy twisty bumpy country roads and its very secure though I'm sure given more practive I'll find ways of getting it better attached.

sharpygreen
20-01-2006, 14:28
the boot ones are quite good drove down to spain last year and only had to retighten the straps a few times had 3 bikes on it as well