PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Plug - Sealant Question

andygrif
19-01-2006, 11:16
In the bathroom, we have one of those pop-up plugholes which is operated by the lever on the back of the taps.

Around the plughole there is obviously the chrome rim that covers up the hole in the sink.

It seems that there was some sealant underneath this rim, which has come loose, which I then pulled out! Now, even when the plug in in the down position, the water leaks away through the gap around the rim.

So I trundle off to B&Q to look at sealants. And pretty much without fail, they all say that they should not be used in places that are "constantly immersed" or in fittings like shower trays.

So what should I use to seal this gap? Any plumbing experts that can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

danielf
19-01-2006, 11:18
Should you not have a rubber ring rather than sealant under this rim?

Chris
19-01-2006, 11:19
You should be able to get silicone sealant that is formulated for bathroom use - have you seen any tubes of it, and did it still say 'not for immersion'?

marky
19-01-2006, 11:20
I agree its normally a rubber o ring.

Ramrod
19-01-2006, 11:22
I agree its normally a rubber o ring......with some sealant, just to be on the safe side :D

basa
19-01-2006, 12:09
I'd have quick look on the floor under / around the outlet as the water now probably leaks around the *outside* of the drain pipework !

danielf
19-01-2006, 12:14
I'd have quick look on the floor under / around the outlet as the water now probably leaks around the *outside* of the drain pipework !

A few years back I was living in a flat, and my upstairs neighbour decided to give the bath a *good* scrub. He actually unscrewed the plughole/ring, and proceeded to rinse the bath. Luckily I was home and noticed the water running down my toilet walls :Yikes:

Robert Atkins
19-01-2006, 12:20
Corning 765 silicone sealant , guarranteed for 20 years. Any plumbers merchants will stock it

driver_problems
19-01-2006, 12:45
In the bathroom, we have one of those pop-up plugholes which is operated by the lever on the back of the taps.

Around the plughole there is obviously the chrome rim that covers up the hole in the sink.

It seems that there was some sealant underneath this rim, which has come loose, which I then pulled out! Now, even when the plug in in the down position, the water leaks away through the gap around the rim.

So I trundle off to B&Q to look at sealants. And pretty much without fail, they all say that they should not be used in places that are "constantly immersed" or in fittings like shower trays.

So what should I use to seal this gap? Any plumbing experts that can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
You should make sure that the surfaces are 'flush' with each other and unimpeded with obstructions etc. Then you should use PTFE (http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/171-0000) tape which will be available at any B&Q store or local hardware store. Ask one of the staff how you apply this tape to the fittings if you are unsure. This is assuming that you have not ommited to put the rubber washer that came with the fittings in when it first got installed (if there was one)

andygrif
19-01-2006, 12:45
You should be able to get silicone sealant that is formulated for bathroom use - have you seen any tubes of it, and did it still say 'not for immersion'?

Yep, checked the silcone out (why does that sound rude?) and yes, that also said not for immersion.

Strangely there's no leakage on the pipes underneath...which I thought was odd too....so I have no idea where the water is going.

Corning 765 silicone sealant , guarranteed for 20 years. Any plumbers merchants will stock it

Thanks very much...I'll have a search around for that. Much appreciated.

You should make sure that the surfaces are 'flush' with each other and unimpeded with obstructions etc. Then you should use PTFE (http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/171-0000) tape which will be available at any B&Q store or local hardware store. Ask one of the staff how you apply this tape to the fittings if you are unsure. This should cure your leaking ills

I think that's the problem, the rim on the plughole is not comepletely flush against the basin. But without completely dismantling the whole sink unit (it's all built-in) I think I'm on a loser when it comes to putting PTFE around the pipes under the rim. Or am I missing the point? Plumbing is not my strong point (can you tell?!?!)

driver_problems
19-01-2006, 12:55
I think that's the problem, the rim on the plughole is not comepletely flush against the basin.

hmm. Have you any recourse against the person who put it in? Did it come with the house? Is the house new?

andygrif
19-01-2006, 13:11
No. Yes. No!

Actually, I've been investigating further...the water is doing down the drain, just around the outside of the rim. The ceramic is moulded so that the plughole fitting is shrouded, and so the water is at least going in the right direction - so it really is just some decent sealant I need by the looks of things.

Can't seem to find any reference to Corning 765 on the net though.

Chicken
19-01-2006, 13:12
hmm. Have you any recourse against the person who put it in? Did it come with the house? Is the house new?... Call our low cost lawyers on 0800123..... :D :erm:

Robert Atkins
19-01-2006, 14:17
PTFE tape is used for compression fittings. PTFE is no good in this case.

The O ring or silicone that was under there was worn out. The plughole need s to be undone,then apply silicone in O formation under the plughole and fasten it back.

SMHarman
19-01-2006, 16:34
This sillicone is not under constant immersion (unless you have a jaccuzzi or similar that is kept permanetly full). Constant immersion is a swimming pool type environment. A bath is only immersed when it is full.

Wicked_and_Crazy
19-01-2006, 16:47
Go to Wickes and get yourself a tub of plumbers mate.

Remove the plug hole from the sink

Clean the old sealant away

create your self a worm of plumbers mate and make a ring around the hole in the sink.

bed the plug hole into the plumbers mate and re-affix it

Problem solved

andygrif
19-01-2006, 19:58
Thanks W&C.....I went off to an olde worlde plumbing store in town and they suggested the same as you...Plumbers Mait - 2 quid a huge tub, job done.

Just to be on the safe side (and to make it look nicer) I bought some uber-silcone sealant to go over the Plumbers Mait - currently dryig - I'll tell you in 24hrs if it's worked!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions - greatly appreciated.

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 23:10
Thanks W&C.....I went off to an olde worlde plumbing store in town and they suggested the same as you...Plumbers Mait - 2 quid a huge tub, job done.

Just to be on the safe side (and to make it look nicer) I bought some uber-silcone sealant to go over the Plumbers Mait - currently dryig - I'll tell you in 24hrs if it's worked!

so is it still leaking or what? :rolleyes:

andygrif
23-01-2006, 01:24
Ooops, sorry forgot to update you! All is well now, thanks for asking!

Wicked_and_Crazy
04-03-2006, 09:31

Too many people use silicon sealant for the wrong application.

eewwww dont bother with the silicon. You dont need it, the plumbers mate will seal forever. (assuming you dont fiddle with it again) ;)

Nidge
04-03-2006, 10:29
Go to Wickes and get yourself a tub of plumbers mate.

Remove the plug hole from the sink

Clean the old sealant away

create your self a worm of plumbers mate and make a ring around the hole in the sink.

bed the plug hole into the plumbers mate and re-affix it

Problem solved

I thought they'd stopped doing that stuff?? I've not used that for a while, it can cure a multitude of problems that can.

Graham M
04-03-2006, 10:41
Too many people use silicon sealant for the wrong application.

eewwww dont bother with the silicon. You dont need it, the plumbers mate will seal forever. (assuming you dont fiddle with it again) ;)

I was amused, Silicone sealent is what the Sky Installer stuck the box covering the cable inlet on the outside wall with. :dozey: