PDA

View Full Version : One for the Washing Machine Experts!

andygrif
19-01-2006, 12:10
I know there are a couple of oracles of information on this subject, hopefully one can point me in the right direction. We have a Miele washing machine, but in the last couple of months it's not been taking the fabric conditioner from the drawer.

We've cleaned it all out, taken the drawer out and flushed some water down it, but 9 times out of 10 still the softener is still there at the end of the cycle.

It takes the soap perfectly.

Any clues? Anything I should be looking for or trying?

Help is of course gratefully appreciated!

grandmaster
19-01-2006, 12:19
When the machine is on open the drawer slightly and have a look to see if water is flushing that part of the drawer.

Could be a blockage ...

marky
19-01-2006, 12:26
It could be a faulty soleniod valve, or a bad connection on the soleniod,pcb or timer.
Or simply bunged up :)

Edit>If this was a vote i would go for electrical

driver_problems
19-01-2006, 12:37
I know there are a couple of oracles of information on this subject, hopefully one can point me in the right direction. We have a Miele washing machine, but in the last couple of months it's not been taking the fabric conditioner from the drawer.

We've cleaned it all out, taken the drawer out and flushed some water down it, but 9 times out of 10 still the softener is still there at the end of the cycle.

Keep an eye out for bra wires! I have fixed machines on about half a dozen occasions and this has been the culprit. Normally they work their way through the drum holes and cause problems like that

Chris
19-01-2006, 12:39
Keep an eye out for bra wires! I have fixed machines on about half a dozen occasions and this has been the culprit. Normally they work their way through the drum holes and cause problems like that

Are the washing machine owners surprised when you pull underwiring out of the works? I'd have thought it pretty difficult not to notice if your bra was suddenly only wired on one side. In fact I'd have thought everyone would notice ... :spin:

Is that my coat ... :disturbd: :D

driver_problems
19-01-2006, 12:50
Are the washing machine owners surprised when you pull underwiring out of the works? I'd have thought it pretty difficult not to notice if your bra was suddenly only wired on one side. In fact I'd have thought everyone would notice ... :spin:

Is that my coat ... :disturbd: :D

if you have quite a few people putting in lots of stuff in a communal wash it is quite common I think.

etccarmageddon
19-01-2006, 12:51
...Is that my coat ... :disturbd: :Dno it's your bra!

handyman
19-01-2006, 14:08
For the op - Its more than likely going to be the cold valve. If you look in the machine (unplugged of course) then you'll see it in the machine where the water comes in. It has 2-3 (sometines more) cylinders on it one of these will be for the conditioner. It's a change of the whole thing but they may be available in a pattern part from you local parts wholesaler.

If you cannot find one I'll put you in touch with a spares place.

ps I've pulled more underwires out of washing machines than I care to mention.

hm

Nidge
19-01-2006, 18:16

Take the draw out then poke a metal wire up the hole where the fabric conditioner goes, we had the same problem the other week, you'll find out that the hole at the back of the draw will be blocked so no condtionner will be getting to your wash.

driver_problems
19-01-2006, 18:46
poke a metal wire up the hole where the fabric conditioner goes

do you think a bra wire would be suitable? ;)

patrickp
19-01-2006, 20:13
I've often found it useful to top up the fabric conditioner drawer with water: they often work on a siphon principle (like a toilet flush) and, if the water that comes in is not enough to start the siphon, nothing goes. Topping it up with water ensures that only a little more is necessary to start the siphon action.

andygrif
19-01-2006, 20:50
For the op - Its more than likely going to be the cold valve. If you look in the machine (unplugged of course) then you'll see it in the machine where the water comes in. It has 2-3 (sometines more) cylinders on it one of these will be for the conditioner. It's a change of the whole thing but they may be available in a pattern part from you local parts wholesaler.

If you cannot find one I'll put you in touch with a spares place.

Thank you sir! I'm not much one for opening kit up...so it might be a call to Miele coming on.

hm

What you do in your spare is none of my business;)

Chris
19-01-2006, 20:53

hm

What you get up to in your spare time is your business ... but I don't think that's a very nice way to talk about your girlfriend(s). :p:

Sorry, I was leaving wasn't I .... :erm: :D

iadom
23-01-2006, 00:22
First thing to make sure of is that the conditioner you are using is not to thick, Comfort is a very thick liquid and I always used to water it down before use. opening the drawer slightly is not always a good guide, you would have to be certain you where on the very last rinse and you may move the drawer under the rinse jet rather than the fabric conditioner. To dispense the fabric conditioner, some machines use double cold valves, some a diverter linked to the timer, a certain AEG model has a very expensive electronically controlled diverter on the top of the dispenser. After you have done the obvious, cleaned the drawer and rinse aid compartment thoroughly, and made sure the rinse aid is not to thick, you can do one last test before it is time to call the professionals. Make sure the rinse aid compartment is bone dry, crumble a small amount of digestive biscuit into it( but no conditioner)and after the wash has finished check the contents. If the biscuit is dry, your machine is faulty, if it is soaking wet, your conditioner is to thick or your drawer needs cleaning.

Paul K
23-01-2006, 00:25
Do you leave the biscuit there for the engineer to finish off??

iadom
23-01-2006, 00:47
Well, if the biscuit was dry you could say, "missus, your machine is snackered" :D