PDA

View Full Version : Don't get caught......

yesman
12-11-2003, 17:34
Only 3 weeks to go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3251725.stm

Chimaera
12-11-2003, 18:49
Only 3 weeks to go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3251725.stm
I won't get caught yesman - my 'hands-free-with-speaker-permanently-plugged-into-the-socket' is installed even as we speak! :eek:

Funny how many people won't bother tho! ;)

Atomic22
12-11-2003, 18:51
Only 3 weeks to go
who uses a phone and drives at the same time anyways:nono:

yesman
12-11-2003, 19:14
I won't get caught yesman - my 'hands-free-with-speaker-permanently-plugged-into-the-socket' is installed even as we speak! :eek:;)
I think that is punishible by a Firing Squad :D

Mick
12-11-2003, 19:14
Well if its anything like what happened today where a motorist decided to stop dead causing me to hit the brakes, so he could answer his mobile and then let the queue of traffic build up behind him, I don't know which is worse!?!?! :erm:

yesman
12-11-2003, 19:15
Erm, Not me guv, honest :erm:

Chimaera
12-11-2003, 19:22
Not me - the contraption keeps it safe (and charged cos I forget indoors) and anyway I'm a mere female - couldn't possibly do 2 things at once. ;)

Maggy
12-11-2003, 20:13
I thought it was illegal already.It's certainly stupid.

incog. :)

Paul
12-11-2003, 20:54
who uses a phone and drives at the same time anyways:nono:Lots of people, including me. (and yes, I have "proper" hands free kit :p)

Chris
12-11-2003, 21:13
Full handsfree kit installed in my car, courtesy of the company ... so no worries here :)

Stuart
12-11-2003, 21:44
I'm OK.

No car...

peachey
12-11-2003, 22:26
what I worry about is a scenario
where everyone is stuck stationary in a traffic jam

with uniformed police marching around amongst us checking taxes, tire tread depths and prosecuting people for texting home that they will be late for dinner due to the said traffic jam they are stuck in

they already have an offence called driving without due care and attention which could be used if neccessary

so once again we see blair manipulating headlines

ian@huth
12-11-2003, 22:58
I would ban drivers from using a mobile at any time when they were driving, even with a hands free kit. I don't want to be in an accident caused by someone who was concentrating too much on the phone call and not enough on the road.

Paul
12-11-2003, 23:07
I would ban drivers from using a mobile at any time when they were driving, even with a hands free kit. I don't want to be in an accident caused by someone who was concentrating too much on the phone call and not enough on the road.And how is it different from listening to music or talking to passengers ? :rolleyes:

MovedGoalPosts
12-11-2003, 23:16
I thought it was illegal already.It's certainly stupid.

incog. :)

Strictly speaking using a mobile in the car is not yet illegal in that there is no specific offence. It is currently dealt with under the banner of Driving without Due Care and Attention as you are arguably not in proper control of your vehicle if both hands are not free to operate the controls (unless your car is adapted for a disability of course). Arguably eating while driving creates that same loss of control and risk of prosecution.

This changes in December by creating the specific offence, which makes it clearer to all drivers what is or is not acceptable.

Of course the real answer must be that anything that distracts you whilst driving is a bad thing, and so even handsfree kits could be a risk (anyone remember the Police Stop type tv programs a while ago where some idiot driver rams a parked mini cos he was changing his radio station?).

yesman
01-12-2003, 00:00
Ok, You have been warned, the time has finally arrived...............

Jerrek
01-12-2003, 00:18
They should exempt certain people from this. Say, some folks can go do a test to see if they are able to do more than one thing at once. If I can switch my radio to the correct frequency, talk with the control towers, hold altitude, pitch, attitude, and speed, plus factor in what the tower is telling me in radio lingo, I sure as hell can answer a hands-free phone.

purenuman
01-12-2003, 01:21
They should exempt certain people from this. Say, some folks can go do a test to see if they are able to do more than one thing at once. If I can switch my radio to the correct frequency, talk with the control towers, hold altitude, pitch, attitude, and speed, plus factor in what the tower is telling me in radio lingo, I sure as hell can answer a hands-free phone.And Michael Schumacher should be allowed to do 215mph on the M25??? :no:

Why not?? He can handle it !

I am a pilot (not commercial) and things tend to be more relaxed when flying! If you had as much traffic and loony drivers in the air then I think you would struggle to do all of the above safely.

You could probably close your eyes for 20+ seconds while flying and nothing would happen. Try doing that on your average duel carriageway at 60mph in a car and how many people would you kill if you did it on the high street at 30mph ?

If your aircraft accidentally veers one way or the other 6 or 7 ft what happens? Nothing!

If your car veers accidentally one way or the other 6 or 7 ft what happens? Somebody hurt maybe even killed?? Possibly!

Any distraction whilst driving is a danger but a bigger danger is people who think they are so skilful they are above 'distractions' and 'accidents'.

:mad:

markmarkymark
01-12-2003, 07:18
And how is it different from listening to music or talking to passengers ? :rolleyes:

Some will argue very different

Situation 1 "Busy city, finding your way around, stressed, passenger in car"

Passenger stops talking when you get to a critical junction - lets you get passed the granny who has stepped out into the road -

Situation 2 "Busy city, finding your way around, stressed, talking on handsfree set"

Person on other end of phone has no idea whats going on. They demand to know answers about your next sales target - as you try to get around that critical junction ......(BOOM) .. they do not know that a granny has stepped out into the road and continue to have a go about your poor breath ..... (CRUNCH - 5 points) ........

Thats why - I believe that contributes more to the danger of the phone than physically holding it (afteral smokers will continue to smoke, mummy will still hold the pet rabbit in one hand after taking it to the vet, blokes drive with one hand anyway cos they are hard !)

cheers

MArk

Scarlett
01-12-2003, 08:18
what I worry about is a scenario
where everyone is stuck stationary in a traffic jam

with uniformed police marching around amongst us checking taxes, tire tread depths and prosecuting people for texting home that they will be late for dinner due to the said traffic jam they are stuck in

they already have an offence called driving without due care and attention which could be used if neccessary

so once again we see blair manipulating headlines

the problem is that driving without due care and attention didn't actually give the police much scope, they could only hit you for a small amount <£100 and generally didn't bother because it was a lot of paperwork which wouldn't stop the sods from doing it again. Now we actually have an offecnce, the police are more likey to act and I can stop swearing so much at that erratically swerving 4X4 in the ,morning.

Paul
01-12-2003, 09:17
Passenger stops talking when you get to a critical junction - lets you get passed the granny who has stepped out into the road -
Um, why does the passenger stop talking ?

(How does the radio with you fav song suddenly turn itself off ?)

Sorry, but talking is talking - whether it be to your passengers (front or back) or to someone on the phone. Making up two completely different situations like that is meaningless.

If I got a pound for every person I saw singing along to their music instead of concentrating on the road I would be a quite a few pounds better off.

Flubflow
01-12-2003, 11:10
When asked for clarification the Department of transport said that the new law had been brought in because research showed that drivers were 4 times more likely to have an accident when using a mobile phone whilst driving than when not.

The law states that you can use a hands free set (including pressing the buttons) but you are NOT PERMITTED to hold the phone at any time during its use. and for the "clever ones" you are not permitted to trap it between shoulder and ear.

The bizarre thing about this law is that it does not cover CB/personal radio tranceivers (combo mobile phone/personal radios are not permitted).
One might argue that less concentration is needed for a CB radio conversation but physically you need to have one hand off the wheel and on the radio during a conversation in order to key to transmitt (or ready to transmitt). Of course there are ones with voice activated transmitt but that's not the point.

Stuart
01-12-2003, 11:45
Have a look here http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_025216.hcsp

for a good FAQ on the law..

Flubflow
01-12-2003, 11:46
Whoever you were who deleted your post, you no doubt read it properly.....
:D :D :D

Q14. Will 2-way radios be included in the new offence?
The use of 2-way radio equipment (unless the device can also be used as a phone) when driving is not included in the new offence but remember there is still a risk of distraction and prosecution under other powers.

If a device is a dual or multi purpose device that can be used both as a mobile phone and a 2-way radio, the use of the device while driving or supervising a provisional licence holder is prohibited. Use is prohibited whether the device is being used as a 2-way radio or as a mobile phone.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_rdsafety/documents/page/dft_rdsafety_025216.hcsp