PDA

View Full Version : Annoys the pants off

Salu
12-11-2003, 11:39
OK..

What annoys the pants off you with respect to what people SAY.

As I said in a previous thread....The mispronounciation of Hypothermia really gets my goat. THey are always saying Hyperthermia....which is the complete opposite, of course. An increase in body core temperature.

Maybe it's because I am in the medical profession.....

philip.j.fry
12-11-2003, 11:43
It really annoys me when people say 'I have the Internet' when what they really mean is 'I have Internet access'.

Chris
12-11-2003, 11:49
anyone being excessively verbose in order to sound authoritative, e.g.

'We are unable to ascertain the cause of death at this point in time,' instead of 'We can't yet tell how he died.' Does police school train recruits out of the art of speaking clearly?

Marge
12-11-2003, 11:50
Not sure if this is just a northern thing but when folks ring through at work and say "yeah what it is right love" :blah: I can feel myself cringing

basa
12-11-2003, 11:50
OK..

What annoys the pants off you with respect to what people SAY.

As I said in a previous thread....The mispronounciation of Hypothermia really gets my goat. THey are always saying Hyperthermia....which is the complete opposite, of course. An increase in body core temperature.

Maybe it's because I am in the medical profession.....

LOTS of things I'm afraid !! .... far too many to list in fact, but then I am a bit of a pedant when it comes to correct usage of words, grammar, punctuation and spelling.

A typical gaff is when people say or write for example "them computers" instead of "those computers" or the classic use of their, they're and there etc., etc.

:rolleyes:

Salu
12-11-2003, 11:54
Not sure if this is just a northern thing but when folks ring through at work and say "yeah what it is right love" :blah: I can feel myself cringing

Ha ha. I know what you mean...

homealone
12-11-2003, 11:54
when someone says "can I lend a fiver" when they mean "can I borrow a fiver"

- oh & the answer is no, either way.;)

Bex
12-11-2003, 12:00

it is a northern thing :erm:

"can I lend a fiver" when they mean "can I borrow a fiver"

that's a northern thing too :p

Russ
12-11-2003, 12:01
When companies I speak to ask about my 'partner' :grind:

My perfect response is "Business or dancing?".

Or when you you call a garage or motor factors to price something up and they say something like "It's £50 plus VAT". WELL WHY DON'T THEY JUST TELL ME HOW MUCH IT IS *INCLUDING* VAT??????? A good way of annoying them back is saying you'll buy the said product and you'll be down for it in half and hour plus 15 minutes. :)

th'engineer
12-11-2003, 12:10
Not sure if this is just a northern thing but when folks ring through at work and say "yeah what it is right love" :blah: I can feel myself cringingNorthern term of endearment

Bex
12-11-2003, 12:12
Northern term of endearment

yeah calling someone love is....but why to a high proportion of northern men say "erm what is it?" why why why?

Mal
12-11-2003, 12:31
Being called mate, duck, chuck or c0ck when someone calls me on the telephone at work.

I don't know you, did you hear me quack/c0ckadoodle and again you don't know me :)

th'engineer
12-11-2003, 12:31
yeah calling someone love is....but why to a high proportion of northern men say "erm what is it?" why why why?
Not all of us say that

gazzae
12-11-2003, 12:36
When people say, can I borrow a ciggy off you.

Sure not a problem, just give me the butt and ash back when your finished!

Bex
12-11-2003, 12:45
Not all of us say that
true........but i have meet a lot of northern men that do :erm:

Sure not a problem, just give me the butt and ash back when your finished!

:rofl:

downquark1
12-11-2003, 13:04
t'internet (dam you peter K)
"surfing" the web (where did that come from
Broadband (the word means nothing)
Mac and PC should be MAC and microsoft

philip.j.fry
12-11-2003, 13:32

Worse than that is, 'can I tax a cigarette off of you'

th'engineer
12-11-2003, 13:46

now then we are not taking th'michael here are we:Peace:

SMHarman
12-11-2003, 13:50
"surfing" the web (where did that come from
Broadband (the word means nothing)
Mac and PC should be MAC and microsoft

Pedantic, but Mac is a brand of PC made by Apple
microsoft is a software manufacturer.

Surely this should be PC powered by Apple software and PC powered by Microsoft software - this could go on to Red Hat...

I do think PC is a reasonable description of a x86 powered machine as opposed to a RISC machine.

SMHarman
12-11-2003, 13:51
"Would you mind holding?"

why not - "I'm putting you on hold while I find out."

Always good to say yes to this one!

Ramrod
12-11-2003, 16:00
When people say: 'to give you a honest answer' or 'do you want me to be honest'

I feel like saying 'no thanks, could you lie to me please':D

Chris
12-11-2003, 16:03
'At the end of the day'
'Basically...'

especially when I catch myself doing it :grind:

Bex
12-11-2003, 16:11
'At the end of the day'
'Basically...'

both of those wind me up and another starting a converstion with "no....." when it isnt even answering a question :banghead:

Nemesis
12-11-2003, 16:14
no, but basically, at the end of the day they're just words :D

Bex
12-11-2003, 16:21
no, but basically, at the end of the day they're just words :D

:argue:
you know what is going to happen now dont u?

<SLAP> :p

Chris
12-11-2003, 16:21
and ... like ... you know ... I mean ... yeah ....... I agree.

Who do we know who talks like that, I wonder?

Bex
12-11-2003, 16:23
and ... like ... you know ... I mean ... yeah ....... I agree.

Who do we know who talks like that, I wonder?

yeah being biatchy again??????? :p

actually i do know someone who talks like that.......and he says like what is it, yeah ummm, you know, umm what is it, like ummm :banghead:

homealone
12-11-2003, 16:40
'At the end of the day'
'Basically...'

you forgot 'actually' - and actually, you are so right about catching yourself 'at it' :grind: :)

downquark1
12-11-2003, 16:43
Talking with your voice going up at the end - when it's not a question

Chris
12-11-2003, 16:54
yeah being biatchy again??????? :p

actually i do know someone who talks like that.......and he says like what is it, yeah ummm, you know, umm what is it, like ummm :banghead:
Who, me? I can't think what you mean. :angel:

You always have your tongue out! If the wind changes, you'll stick like that ... :p

Maggy
12-11-2003, 17:11
Now where do I begin?Driversthat just have to turn on to the main road in front of you even though you are the last in a very long line of traffic,only to turn off at the next junction.Motorcyclists who roar up the middle of a heavily congested road which is barely wide enough for two lanes of traffic.People who read over my shoulder when I'm reading,writing or typing(that was my son),people/students that just don't listen even when they are looking straight at you,fanatics of any kind,pelican crossings where some nitwit has pressed the button and hopped across without waiting for the lights to change :afire: ............

No,I had better not.The list is growing longer each and every day and I'm in danger of apoplexy just thinking about it..

Incog.wondering why we bother teaching needlework in school...no one makes anything at home anymore and judging by the standard of work produced by the majority of the students I can see why. :banghead:

As you will no doubt have gathered my day was not a good one. :sulk:

philip.j.fry
12-11-2003, 18:16
'can you send that as a word file?'

Bex
12-11-2003, 18:24
Who, me? I can't think what you mean. :angel:

You always have your tongue out! If the wind changes, you'll stick like that ... :p

thats such a dad thing to say huni..."if the wind changes..." :p:p:p:p

i admit i stick my tongue out too much ;):p

Chris
12-11-2003, 18:34
thats such a dad thing to say huni..."if the wind changes..." :p:p:p:p

i admit i stick my tongue out too much ;):p

'tis cos I am one ... :)

Download Failed (1)

I should probably list in this thread all the parentish things mine used to say to me and which I have no doubt I will soon be saying to him ...

'Because I said so!'
'We'll see...'
'What did your mother say?'
'Ask your mother...' :D

yesman
12-11-2003, 19:11
People who say "cerstificate" grrrrr

Theodoric
12-11-2003, 19:11
anyone being excessively verbose in order to sound authoritative, e.g.

'We are unable to ascertain the cause of death at this point in time,' instead of 'We can't yet tell how he died.' Does police school train recruits out of the art of speaking clearly?
Nah, that one's dead easy. It was the butler wot done it. :)

Theodoric
12-11-2003, 19:22
Down with tautologies!

adequate enough
appear on the scene
co-operate together
early beginnings
enclosed herein
final upshot
fresh beginner
hoist up
just recently
mutual co-operation
pair of twins
past history
penetrate into
raze to the ground
recall back
twice over
widow woman
young infant

and many more

yesman
12-11-2003, 19:24
Down with tautologies!

adequate enough
appear on the scene
co-operate together
early beginnings
enclosed herein
final upshot
fresh beginner
hoist up
just recently
mutual co-operation
pair of twins
past history
penetrate into
raze to the ground
recall back
twice over
widow woman
young infant

and many more
Excellent !!!!!!

Bex
12-11-2003, 20:04
'tis cos I am one ... :)

Download Failed (1)

I should probably list in this thread all the parentish things mine used to say to me and which I have no doubt I will soon be saying to him ...

'Because I said so!'
'We'll see...'
'What did your mother say?'
'Ask your mother...' :D

gorgeous little bubby :D

and don't forget the other one "in my day..." :rofl:
theodoric........tautological statments are annoying

Paul
12-11-2003, 20:47
As a Nottingham Forest fan I get really hacked off with commentators who call them Notts Forest.

It's Notts County [or Notts Cricket Club] - Don't these so called professionals know anything. :mad:

CuddlesTC
13-11-2003, 20:27
'Pacific' instead of 'specific'. Grrr!

Ramrod
13-11-2003, 20:40
http://homepage.mac.com/towny/bobsmall.jpg

aaah...looks like his dad:)

kronas
13-11-2003, 20:41
not an annoyance but a grievance when people dont correctly spell words like 'u' instead of 'you' or make off topic posts consistantly

oh and kids :rolleyes:

Bex
13-11-2003, 20:42
aaah...looks like his dad:)

poor child ;):p

Russ
13-11-2003, 21:16
Slow drivers :2up:

I'm talking about the ones who do 32mph on a 40mph road :grind:

Chris
13-11-2003, 21:29
not an annoyance but a grievance when people dont correctly spell words like 'u' instead of 'you' or make off topic posts consistantly

oh and kids :rolleyes:

People who don't use apostrophes
People who can't spell consistently

Chris
13-11-2003, 22:32
Oh, and teenagers :rolleyes: ;)

ic14
13-11-2003, 22:34
not an annoyance but a grievance when people dont correctly spell words like 'u' instead of 'you' or make off topic posts consistantly Like you?

oh and kids :rolleyes:You where one, or cant you remember?

Bex
13-11-2003, 22:34

:LOL: :rofl:

ic14
13-11-2003, 22:35
Oh, and teenagers :rolleyes: ;)Dont judge us on the basis of one person, lol

Nemesis
13-11-2003, 22:41
or make off topic posts consistantly
Hey, I apologised, and if my memory serves me right, you did this a fair bit earlier this year. :D

kronas
13-11-2003, 22:55
You where one, or cant you remember?

yes i was one and i will guarantee that i was never EVER a pain like kids are these days :rolleyes:

People who don't use apostrophes
People who can't spell consistently

you should be glad i see the amusing side of your comments :rolleyes:

Hey, I apologised, and if my memory serves me right, you did this a fair bit earlier this year. :D

lol i will put my hands up and admit i did do it but not every post in a thread consistently

Chris
13-11-2003, 23:12
you should be glad i see the amusing side of your comments :rolleyes:

Why, would you send the boys round to sort me out? :disturbd:

lol i will put my hands up and admit i did do it but not every post in a thread consistently

Spelled correctly! Have a lollipop son.

http://www.thenutfactory.com/holiday/photos/Lollipop.jpg

;)

kronas
13-11-2003, 23:14
Why, would you send the boys round to sort me out? :disturbd:

no the big bouncers and men that will 'take care' of you ;)

Spelled correctly! Have a lollipop son.

;)

*is not amused :rolleyes:

ic14
13-11-2003, 23:15
yes i was one and i will guarantee that i was never EVER a pain like kids are these days :rolleyes: You sound so much like an old man....
At least I can admit I was a bit naughty when I was younger.
Grew out of it now of course :)

kronas
13-11-2003, 23:21
You sound so much like an old man....
At least I can admit I was a bit naughty when I was younger.
Grew out of it now of course :)

the only time i was annoying someone was when i was kicking a football on the side of my street i was told that it was bothering someone who was on a nightshift rota so i moved on somewhere else

Maggy
13-11-2003, 23:32
Parents who park both sides of a main road when picking their children up after school which cause more than a dangerous hazard to the students crossing the road because the other traffic can't get by.Congestion builds up and people get impatient and thus far we have had one child so severely injured that she cannot come back to school ever.

Now I'm talking about secondary school here where the kids are more than capable of walking/catching a bus to school/home.Add to this traffic lights about 200 metres up the road and it is a recipe for a child to actually be killed one of these days.Some drivers are so upset by it that they actually come into school to complain.However the head cannot do anything but 'ASK' the parents to park further away and ensure that staff are on duty.Do they listen?Do they heck. :rolleyes:

Incog.

Bex
13-11-2003, 23:35
towny can i have a lollipop...see i spelt everything right :angel:

SMHarman
14-11-2003, 09:03
Now where do I begin?Driversthat just have to turn on to the main road in front of you even though you are the last in a very long line of traffic,only to turn off at the next junction.<snip>

Should break that 2 second rule then!!!

Living on / near a dual carriageway...

People who will not pull out into the outside lane so you can pull out and insist on doing 60 (even though its a 40) when there is a roundabout less than 200m away!

But more so those who insist on pulling into the nearside lane even though they should be able to see you want to pull out.

When there is a traffic jam on it - people who will not let you pull out of the side road (which is a dead end so no cut through) into this jam. What am I supposed to go back home until the jam is cleared?

SMHarman
14-11-2003, 09:04
'can you send that as a word file?'

Can I have a soft copy?

Maggy
14-11-2003, 17:22
Should break that 2 second rule then!!!

Living on / near a dual carriageway...

People who will not pull out into the outside lane so you can pull out and insist on doing 60 (even though its a 40) when there is a roundabout less than 200m away!

But more so those who insist on pulling into the nearside lane even though they should be able to see you want to pull out.

When there is a traffic jam on it - people who will not let you pull out of the side road (which is a dead end so no cut through) into this jam. What am I supposed to go back home until the jam is cleared?

I'm not talking about when it's bumper to bumper.I'm talking about when there is NO TRAFFIC behind me on the local main roads.However I agree with you about all the rest.

Incog. :)

SMHarman
14-11-2003, 17:53
I'm not talking about when it's bumper to bumper.I'm talking about when there is NO TRAFFIC behind me on the local main roads.However I agree with you about all the rest.

Incog. :)

I know you weren't - just got me thinking about some other similar irritations.

And another one.

On the same piece of road, when I am signalling left to turn in, the drivers that insist on slowing down to 20 mph behind you rather than pulling out to the other lane to pass you (when there is no other traffic around). It's as if they are too lazy to turn the steering wheel - yet will have to change gear!!

Chris
14-11-2003, 18:48
towny can i have a lollipop...see i spelt everything right :angel:

For you, a whole packet of lolliops ;)

Download Failed (1)

Bex
14-11-2003, 19:16
For you, a whole packet of lolliops ;)

http://www.organic-cotton-clothes.com/Make-believe/lollipops.jpg

:kiss: thank you

Russ
14-11-2003, 21:32
What about those people who for some unknown rrrrrrrreason feel the need to uneccessarrrrrrily rrrrrrrrrroll the letterrrrrrrr "R" in each word they say??? And yes it seem like a LOT of Welsh people do it!! I don't though :)

Bex
14-11-2003, 21:35
What about those people who for some unknown rrrrrrrreason feel the need to uneccessarrrrrrily rrrrrrrrrroll the letterrrrrrrr "R" in each word they say??? And yes it seem like a LOT of Welsh people do it!! I don't though :)
its even worse if the can't pronounce their 'r's and then insist on calling me rebecca, so it comes out like webecca :mad:

Russ
14-11-2003, 21:36
"Webecca" sounds like a good name for Chewbacca's sister :D :D :D

Actually not being able to pronounce the letter "r" is a speech impediment and we shouldn't make fun of such a thing...unless it's Jamie Oliver of course :D

Bex
14-11-2003, 21:39
"Webecca" sounds like a good name for Chewbacca's sister :D :D :D

Actually not being able to pronounce the letter "r" is actually a speech impediment and we shouldn't make fun of such thing...unless it's Jamie Oliver of course :D

you and jamie oliver....... :rolleyes:

yes i know it is a speech inpediment, but one could also that that rolling one's r's is also :p

what really annoys me is people insisting on calling me rebecca :mad: yes its my name but nooooo

Chris
14-11-2003, 22:19
would you like me to welease webecca? :D

Russ
14-11-2003, 22:21
Can't this forum go one day without a thread containing Monty Python quotations?!?? :p

Chris
14-11-2003, 22:24
Can't this forum go one day without a thread containing Monty Python quotations?!?? :p

Nope ... my sig is a Monty Python quote! :D

Bex
14-11-2003, 22:25
would you like me to welease webecca? :D

:rofl:

Can't this forum go one day without a thread containing Monty Python quotations?!??
spoil sport :p :Peace: