PDA

View Full Version : Homepage hijacked

kanagarajanc
11-11-2003, 22:50
Hi,

I'm a new customer to NTL. When I installed the Cable modem using the supplied installation disk, it changed my web browsers home page to ntlworld.com. It never asked whether I want to change the homepage during the installation process.

Though its so trivial, I find this annoying and offended. Any of you felt the same.

turbulentone
11-11-2003, 23:01
Hi,

I'm a new customer to NTL. When I installed the Cable modem using the supplied installation disk, it changed my web browsers home page to ntlworld.com. It never asked whether I want to change the homepage during the installation process.

Though its so trivial, I find this annoying and offended. Any of you felt the same.

Standard for most ISP's when you load their software, but agreed the option would be nice

Xaccers
11-11-2003, 23:03
Loads of ISP install discs do the same, demon, AoL, Freeserve have all done it.
If you download and install the latest MSN messenger, that actually asks if you want msn.com as your homepage (although it does say that having it is recommended)

handyman
11-11-2003, 23:43
The homepage for ntl contains all your account management and email options.
It helps new people to the internet as well. Many people call here after they have their browser hijacked by some dodgy web page and ask why the connection is not working because the freeserve web page is not the homepage

philip.j.fry
11-11-2003, 23:45
The homepage for ntl contains all your account management and email options.
It helps new people to the internet as well. Many people call here after they have their browser hijacked by some dodgy web page and ask why the connection is not working because the freeserve web page is not the homepage

Yes, many people do get confused and think that they have to logon on the start page to gain access to the internet.

albone
12-11-2003, 22:20
I agree with you there a lot of people think that way! and I had the dubios priviledge to have had to do it manually, the first time as for some unknown my disc didn't finish the job! so was surprised and somewhat dismayed to find I was on msn as homepage! thought the thing had c****d up but realised that I could change the page easily to what ever I chose! So yes I can see the logic of a disc putting the NTL home page up as a first page. But the instructions should make it clear that you have the choice!

Defiant
12-11-2003, 22:24
never used an NTL installation anything. Just put your homepage back to whatever it was