PDA

View Full Version : ntl home:120 hanging from today

Pages : [1] 2

renzz
17-01-2006, 16:25
I've had an ntl:home 120 modem for a couple of years now which has always performed flawlessly. Even when I was upgraded to 10MB and got the new firmware, it worked fine, at full speed. However, today I was doing some flat-out downloads when I lost all Internet connectivity. I powered the modem off/on and all worked ok for about 15 mins then the same thing.

If I look at the Cable Modem diags page, I seem to have firmware ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr - is this new? I recall ntl0002.cpw was the upgrade to allow 10MB, so has ntl0003.cpw just been released (and could it be the cause of the hangs)?

I've got an engineer coming tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone else had this problem from today (I'm in the Epsom, Surrey area).

quadplay
17-01-2006, 18:25
Yes, there was a firmware upgrade for the 100 and 120 modems last night. I'm not aware of it causing any issues though...

:welcome: to CF, by the way! :)

renzz
17-01-2006, 18:42
Yes, there was a firmware upgrade for the 100 and 120 modems last night. I'm not aware of it causing any issues though...

:welcome: to CF, by the way! :)

Thanks!

It's a bit too coincidental isn't it? That must be the cause. Surely I can't be the only one? It does only seem to affect the modem when it's running flat out at the full 10Mb for around 10-15 mins.

quadplay
17-01-2006, 18:50
It is odd - but if it was affecting every ntl:home 120 user, I'd expect CF to have crashed under the weight of all the posts! ;)

We'll see how it develops over the next few days, but it may just be that your modem didn't take the firmware download properly, or it was corrupted - or of course, it could just be total coincidence! Let us know how you get on after the engineer's been!

mcmanic
17-01-2006, 19:38
its happened to me today also, twice and both times when downloading at full speed, just locksup and have to reboot NTL120 Modem. Had the modem for a couple of years also and its never missed a heartbeat, until now?

Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : ignoreProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromMgt

sav112
17-01-2006, 20:38
im still on ntlhm100_ntl0001.cpr on my 120 in Glasgow

mcmanic
17-01-2006, 20:39
just happened again, so 3x now, see whats happens tomorrow - but strange to do it after the upgrade and not before

HD462
17-01-2006, 21:13
I'm still on 0001.cpr too on a 120 modem. Strange how the other bits are different on yours too, the Upgrade AdminStatus, and Upgrade OperStatus:

Network Access : Enabled
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0001.cpr
Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade
Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning

Maybe someone from CF team can tell us what the difference is. I wonder if you've just been changed to 10meg and it's disabled upgrades because of that?

I don't think I want the 10meg upgrade even if they offer it, with all the problems people seem to have. My 2meg connection is always rock solid, don't want to spoil that with an upgrade.

Chrysalis
17-01-2006, 21:58
whats the 3rd revision supposed to fix?

PowerUser
17-01-2006, 22:54
Exactly the same problem here on my 120, didnt know they had updated the firmware.

Should i just wait and see if they fix the prob!!.

its done it twice since I came home around 10pm

sav112
17-01-2006, 23:01
connection has been really bad for the first time, games loosing connection to servers. i hope its just a blip.
my mate on BT bb line a few doors up playing fine and im getting shafted by con probs.
he's been laughing at my Ntl, not impressed at all.

mcmanic
18-01-2006, 00:16
didnt know they had updated the firmware.

i didn't know either until i came here to see if anyone had any issue's and saw this post. BTW done it again so make it 4X now.

Thing is its totally random, can be fine for ages then stop, or just after 10mins,

grubbymitts
18-01-2006, 06:32
I think the software has only been upgraded for those on 10mb, as I am on 2mb (and want to stick that way) and am still on the 1st firmware.

Slyder
18-01-2006, 06:42
whats the 3rd revision supposed to fix?

thats anyones guess. I asked a while ago what the 1st update fixed and nobody had a scooby. Personally without a list of bugfixes, I just think NTL want to change the firmware version and look busy without fixing jack. :erm:

renzz
18-01-2006, 09:15
The engineer has just been and, unsurprisingly, wasn't aware there had been a firmware upgrade. However I persuaded him to replace my 120 with a 250 so for me the problem has gone.

I guess everyone needs to make Tech Support aware of this problem, and maybe they will fix it or roll back to the old version soon.

nj2112
18-01-2006, 09:27
Exactly the same problem here.

Time to roll back the FW I think.

ntyson
18-01-2006, 09:47
When I got up this morning and tried to connect to the internet it failed, and looking at my logs it appears the connection dropped at 3:30am. I cycled the modem and the connection was back up no problems. (Except of course still not getting anywhere near 10Mb)

Just checked the firmware and I've been upgraded to ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr. I'll monitor it today to see if I have any problems.

recall2000
18-01-2006, 10:36
Same here. Last night it dropped 3 or 4 times. Each time pulling the power out of the modem fixed it for a short time. This morning I have the same thing happening constantly. Probably about 30 minutes between each failure. Way to go NTL...usual standards.

sav112
18-01-2006, 11:20
I think the software has only been upgraded for those on 10mb, as I am on 2mb (and want to stick that way) and am still on the 1st firmware.

that might be the case with me then as im only on 1mb. i cant blame my con probs last night on new firmware but it was really bad for the first time ever.

---------- Post added at 11:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

its the same this morning loosing connection to servers.

wtf is going on, your in the middle of a great game and bang your out and its not the game server problem.

im annoyed yes but till now ntl has been fine, my mate said his telewest went the same way , just one day it basically did not have the service. and he got rid of it for BT.

recall2000
18-01-2006, 12:29
Well I just called them and apparently there's no problem. So we can all relax. Despite telling the guy on the other end of the phone there IS a problem, and other people are having the problem, he says there isn't cos my modem is working now so there's nothing he can do. No engineer. Nothing. He says to monitor the situation and let them know if it happens again. Of course noone on his end has any knowledge of any firmware upgrades...not surprisingly. Let's see what happens for the rest of today then...

mcmanic
18-01-2006, 17:46
mine's been fine today............................but i've not been downloading, lol

frankly if no-one came to swop modem when clearly its the firmware that has caused it then my modem would have a little accident, sorry but thats the way i feel when nothing is done just because Tech Support says my modem is fine.

Kellendel
18-01-2006, 18:32
Having the same problem with the 120, works for up to half an hour then requires a power reset.

ntyson
18-01-2006, 23:01
My connection has dropped three times today, I can't even renew my ip address, so it certainly points to the modem being the problem. Nothing fixes it except cycling the modem.

recall2000
18-01-2006, 23:12
3 more times between about 12 and now (11pm). I'll call them again tomorrow - and wait the obligatory 10-50 minutes waiting for someone to answer, and then sit on hold for 10 minutes while they "run tests" (probably ping or similar) scratch their heads and STILL come back and say nothing's wrong.

SMHarman
18-01-2006, 23:17
It is odd - but if it was affecting every ntl:home 120 user, I'd expect CF to have crashed under the weight of all the posts! ;)

We'll see how it develops over the next few days, but it may just be that your modem didn't take the firmware download properly, or it was corrupted - or of course, it could just be total coincidence! Let us know how you get on after the engineer's been!Or they could not get on line to complain. :erm:

DieDieMyDarling
19-01-2006, 00:27
I've been having this same problem. 120 modem, Belfast. The first time it happened, my ip changed, new network found for Zone Alarm, etc.

I also can't connect to my modem Config page, 192.... etc. Page not found. Even when the connection is fine. So maybe the modem is FUBAR'd.

elstcb
19-01-2006, 02:58
Our home:120 has been losing it's connection since around December, more or less exactly the time they started putting people onto 10mb around this area. We're on 2mb still, unfortunately the modem only completely loses it's connection every now and then (normally at night), a reboot and it's fine, not really had the opportunity to phone CS yet, not that I think they'd be able to help. Sometimes it will drop out and then come back within a minute or two, this tends to be when there's lots of connections open (mp games seem to kill it fairly regularly).

No idea what firmware we're on as I can't access 192.168.100.1 for some reason, will try and have a look tomorrow and post back.

mcmanic
19-01-2006, 08:00
just done it again this morning, yesterday didn't download anything and it was fine, this morning downloaded 1 of my TV episodes (400megs through newsgroups) and although i get good speeds, it still locked up and required a pull power from modem to get going again.

Looks like the problem is becoming more widespread now, i can still access 192.168.100.1 as normal though.

sharpygreen
19-01-2006, 08:25
lads contact cs the 120's are suffering with 10 meg i had the exact same problem for 3 weeks nice new little blue 250 fitted yesterday and im back running with full speed and no drop outs

kieran1986
19-01-2006, 10:48
Hi.

Ive had ntl broadband since 2003, on a ntl home 120.
128k no problems, 300k no problems 1 mb no problems, I dont ever remember losing connection ever.

2days ago i upgraded to 10 mb online.

I'm gettin the download speeds and the upload speeds and im impressed with that but...

in first day from 5 pm til 2 a.m i must of had atleast 15 disconnections
yesterday was pretty much the same

Msn messenger, chat/irc an whatever else im doing will all lose connection/freeze then ill get it again.

i rebooted modem etc

ntl:120 using ethernet port. no router

This is a big problem to me as i mostly play games online, which is no good if i get disconnected regularly.

Is this a problem i can fix or am i to ring ntl ?

Thanks

Kieran

Hitcher
19-01-2006, 11:20
Same problem here (Southampton) with my 120 and the new firmware for the last few days.

DieDieMyDarling
19-01-2006, 11:24
Just been doing a few tests, it seems to hold fine while downloading at 3mb, tried 4mb and it disconnected again.

If you're having the problem, and there's stuff you really need to download, try limiting your speed to 3mb.

Kellendel
19-01-2006, 11:45
Decided to phone CS and they first decided it was a router problem. They then said that they won't do anything until the problem occurs again. When the problem occurs again they'll run some test and then book an engineer. Of course when the engineer comes i'll have reset the modem and the problem won't be there. Any chance the engineer will hang around for 40mins to see the problem occuring? Give me a nice new shiny modem, or let me use my cmx.

Problem occurred about 10 mins after the phone call, engineer booked. Problem has been identified as an issue with the street cabinet!! Anybody else with this problem has a faulty street cabinet :)

sav112
19-01-2006, 12:20
And to think i gave up a new modem a few months back when a tech came out to give me a new power adaptor.

i should have said "see that modem you've got there that you've just opened to get the pwoer unit out can i have that....."

i dont care about speed just reliability for games....

Hitcher
19-01-2006, 12:43
Just been told by CS that it's only a modem problem if the Sync and/or Ready lights flash and this problem is caused by my router or firewall.:rolleyes:

sharpygreen
19-01-2006, 13:14
there talking total ****e m8

just tell them your sync light is flashing your get a new modem

i had the same probs for 3 weeks got run around by cs modem changed problems have gone

Hitcher
19-01-2006, 14:33
Happened again with the PC connected directly to the modem.

What happens is the U/S and D/S lights go out and there's no connection to the net.

I've phoned again and had to enter 'netsh int ip reset resetlog.txp' and then 'netsh winsock reset catalog' in the Run box, then restart the modem/PC. When I asked what to do if it happened again she said it wont.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

Finally, after the 4th time of phoning, they're sending out an engineer tomorrow.

deadite66
19-01-2006, 17:34
problems for me too, have to reboot

mcmanic
19-01-2006, 19:12
so when can we expect the new firmware to fix this then, lol

as already reported i also solved it by lowering download limit to around 3megs, for me that is to have 1 open connection in Grabit Newsreader instead of the usual 4 wihich gives me 10meg download.

Not the best solution and not why i'm paying 10meg prices for if i cannot actually use 10meg just because NTL like messing with something that was working in the 1st place.

Anyway will be going 2meg unlimited next month so see what happens then on 2meg, hopefully it'll be fine

deadite66
19-01-2006, 21:07
grrr happened again when i was online gaming :(

who can we fire an email off too?

XFS03
20-01-2006, 01:16
For the first time since I have been with ntl (3 years) my modem also just hung while downloading.

About 3 minutes into a 6 minute download, the u/s, d/s & enet lights went out, leaving just the sync & rdy lights. Had to reset the modem to finish the download.

Looking at the config page, I have also been "upgraded" to 0003 cpr.

mcmanic
20-01-2006, 05:24
join the club!

deadite66
20-01-2006, 06:26
if i downgrade to 2MB will that fix the problem?

joggerspark
20-01-2006, 08:29
hi all
I have a 120 too and have been having the same problem for the last three days.. rang NTL Tech & was told they are carrying out some work in my area so ring early next week if the problem is still there.... :(

I have also tried running at 2Mbit but it still hangs after about an hour so reducing the speed didnt work for me either... :mad:

I now have a backlog of three days to d/l & dont know when will be up & running at 10Mbit

recall2000
20-01-2006, 10:26
Jesus that was hard work. Eventually getting an engineer out. They wont acknowledge it's a firmware issue. I understand the call centre you get through to don't have visibility of some areas, but noone in NTL seems to talks to anyone else. I've had the problem for 3 days now, and they were asking me to turn off any firewall software and try again...ffs...let's see what happens now....

mcmanic
20-01-2006, 13:41
i wouldn't turn my firewall software off even if they asked me, dropped connection on a established connection line to say a newsgroup or a large file download that was previously downloading something would have nothing to do with your firewall

quadplay
20-01-2006, 13:58
Not necessarily; firewalls can do strange things in my experience. If you take an attitude like that with TS staff, they're not going to help you.

recall2000
20-01-2006, 14:49
What I was trying to get across to the person on the phone was that if I turn off my modem and turn it back on, what has that got to do with any firewall software? Nothing. And it only started happening when it seemes there was a firmware update. Coincidence? I very much doubt it. I have a Linux firewall between my PCs and the cable modem, and that has been working for years (since I got 512k in 1998/9 or thereabouts). And continues to do so. Just the dodgy modem. Engineer coming on Monday, so hopefully he will replace it. If it dies on Sunday it's staying dead so he can see it.

If aonyone's interested, the ethernet, power, synch and ready lights are all on and solid. Just as it should be, but I can't even get to the modem's config page, let alone the net.

It's happened 5 or 6 times today so far. Roll on Monday.

mcmanic
20-01-2006, 14:51
just happened again, general browsing this time....Grrrrr!

As for Firewall - So if anything happened whilst my firewall was turned off to my PC when i know it isn't just because NTL say too - would i would be within my rights to claim from NTL for replacement. (hardly going to happen but you get my drift)

cb95amc
20-01-2006, 15:08
Same problem here - there does not seem to be any pattern to it.....lock ups seem to happen fairly randomly.

My setup - pc, router, wi-fi laptop - all worked perfectly on 2Mb.....All worked perfectly after upgrade to 10Mb with the 0002 firmware.....Since this new firmware appeared the cable modem keeps locking up....router and pc's work fine and can still talk to each other when the modem is unresponsive.

Surely it doesn't take a genius to work out that the firmware is causing the problem.

elstcb
20-01-2006, 16:33
Whilst the firmware may be a factor it's not the only thing causing problems, I'm still on FW1 (2mb) and have been having the same problems for months.

deadite66
20-01-2006, 16:56
many of us our modems have been working fine for years then firmware update and problems began though.

are NTL having a head in the sand mentality with this?
are the the people who can do something aware of this problem?

already thinking about moving to adsl, imo NTL have strained their network with this who's got the fastest broadband willy waving.

ic2
20-01-2006, 18:44
Missus downloaded a 2MB email attachment at 13:10. Then at 13:20 modem locks up and just rebooted it now.

This is the first time I have rebooted the modem since the first 10mb upgrades back in November, I am also running ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr

regards

phoenix__
20-01-2006, 18:58
We have a ntl home 100 modem and it started doing this earlier in the week (and I only just remembered about this place!).

Coincidently we had a power cut not long ago which managed to take out the network card my modem was plugged into - so I assumed it was this that had damaged the modem!

Phoned NTL on 150, spoke to a friendly guy who said "Tech support need to deal with this but it certainly sounds like you need a replacement [I told him about the power cut]. I'll speak to tech support for you so they dont fob you off" - yes, the customer service guy actually told me the tech support fob people off!

Typically tech support ran a check on the modem and said it was fine but I should ring back when it happens again without resetting the modem. 10 minutes later I unplugged the modem and surprise surprise they couldn't talk to it - Engineer coming a week on saturday, hopefully with a nice shiney new modem.

What are the different modems NTL do now, and is there a difference between them? I see references to 120, and 250.

MR_CLARK
20-01-2006, 19:03
Exactly the same problem here.

NTL don't want to know, must of made 4 or 5 calls to them. Some guy decided that the loading on the areas node was the cause of rebooting. I fail to see how loading on an NTL router would cause modems to reboot. I also pointed out that many people are having the same issues with the 120's and not the 250's. Still didn't want to know and gave lame excuses.

Pointed out to a lady that this forum had members who were having same problems, and she dismissed it totally by saying "yeah but thats just forum talk"

Yes, we all come here to lie because thats fun isn't it?

Argh. Going to put my car's HT leads on the power port...

tomw|neowin
20-01-2006, 19:07
Yeah mine hangs too. The Power and Ready light stay on but the download light goes off and only way of getting net back is rebooting the modem. Only started happening since Wednesday and it's getting irritating now.

Time to move off NTL. Especially when I call them and I get their call center that's a million miles away from me and they don't understand proper English. Complete joke.

DieDieMyDarling
20-01-2006, 19:19
I don't really think it's fair to blame ntl for the problem, most of the people on the phones won't know about it yet, as it's only started very recently.

From the sounds of it, the firmware was upgraded, and possibly at the same time they upgraded something serverside to coincide with the new firmwares, which somewhere along the line has messed things up. Someone somewhere must be working on it, either with a new firmware, or serverside work being carried out.

phoenix__
20-01-2006, 19:26
I agree that it isn't the phone ppl's fault if they haven't been told about the problem. However when I explain there is an intermittent problem, they should accept that and book an engineer, not tell me they can only book an engineer when they detect the problem.

As bad as NTL may be when things go wrong, I can't fault the general quaility of the 10MB broadband, it's better than I can get on ADSL, and they don't seem that strict with the download quota.

Paul
20-01-2006, 20:16
Not necessarily; firewalls can do strange things in my experience. Firewalls do not generally start to do strange things when they have been running fine for ages.

The evidence so far seems pretty strong to me, lots of people working fine on 120's, then there is a firmware upgrade, now those people have problems. I'm afraid that there is only one conclusion you can really draw - the modems (for whatever reason) have been upset by the upgrade.

Hitcher
20-01-2006, 20:18
Engineer came today changed the modem to a 250 and it's been fine since.

deadite66
20-01-2006, 20:36
The evidence so far seems pretty strong to me, lots of people working fine on 120's, then there is a firmware upgrade, now those people have problems. I'm afraid that there is only one conclusion you can really draw - the modems (for whatever reason) have been upset by the upgrade.

Paul are NTL techs now aware of this problem?

quadplay
20-01-2006, 20:38
Firewalls do not generally start to do strange things when they have been running fine for ages.

Generally, no. But it can, and does happen. I lost count of the number of customers I spoke to in Broadband Support with slow/intermittent/broken connections who refused to disable their firewall because "it has been running fine for ages and I've made no changes to it", who found their connection worked perfectly when they actually turn it off.

EDIT: I'm not saying that firewalls are necessarily the cause of this problem though - just that refusing to turn off the firewall because "it's always worked fine in the past" is not very helpful. Things go wrong, be they firewalls, whole computers, or cars.

mcmanic
20-01-2006, 20:55
Generally, no. But it can, and does happen. I lost count of the number of customers I spoke to in Broadband Support with slow/intermittent/broken connections who refused to disable their firewall because "it has been running fine for ages and I've made no changes to it", who found their connection worked perfectly when they actually turn it off.

EDIT: I'm not saying that firewalls are necessarily the cause of this problem though - just that refusing to turn off the firewall because "it's always worked fine in the past" is not very helpful. Things go wrong, be they firewalls, whole computers, or cars.

SO all of us with this problem which is clearly due to the firmware upgrade in your view is due to firewall problems, sounds like you work for NTL CS to me.

Is it possible that a member of staff (if not already) inform NTL about this. I know you have close contact with them regarding certain issue's. Even if they rolled back the firmware to 0002 would be something, or can we claim a rebate in loss of service or is this covered by the "NTL upto when it works 10meg service"

J/K.......lol

quadplay
20-01-2006, 21:04
SO all of us with this problem which is clearly due to the firmware upgrade in your view is due to firewall problems

Erm, what? :erm:

Where did I say that?

Oven Chips
20-01-2006, 21:24
Hopefully a Moderator will spot this, and vouch that I am posting from an ntl: IP, and may be aware of who I am.

Please can anyone who believes they are affected by the issue of 100/120 Modems locking up post the following information in this thread:Modem Model - 100 or 120 *
First 6 characters** of your MAC Address on the label underneath the modem they will be 00:d0:59 or 00:02:8a
Where you are ie nearest large town, etc.
Some further requests:

* Please do not provide details unless you are using a 100 or 120 modem.
** Under no circumstances post the last 6 characters

Paul
20-01-2006, 21:30
Hopefully a Moderator will spot this, and vouch that I am posting from an ntl: IP, and may be aware of who I am.
We know who you are :)

If members could provide the details as requested please, Oven Chips works for ntl and the information will help investigations into any possible problem. Thanks.

cb95amc
20-01-2006, 21:54
I have the problem....

My modem is a 120 model
The MAC address begins with 00:02:8A
Nearest major town in Luton.

Modem has locked up about 6 times today, about 4 times yesterday.

Many thanks

Andrew

squirrel1970
20-01-2006, 22:00
our ambit 120 hasn't been upgraded at all.. it's still showing the 3mb config!
despite all our calling to NTL, nothing has been done.

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
MAC address : 00:d0:59

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 3072000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 300000 bps
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1 Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

We're in Stockport.

Oven Chips
20-01-2006, 22:11
cj_abi

I am specifically trying to find people who believe they have problems with modems locking up. Your area has not had the 003 firmware upgrade, so sorry I cannot help.

Jay NI
20-01-2006, 22:36
I am having the problem too and have been a happy NTL customer for 4 years never having any trouble like this before now and am a little irritated after being fobbed of on the phone twice, firstly CS running tests and saying its fine, then when i phoned again the reason changed till "its your firewall, disable it and it will be fine" aye right, NTL get your finger out...

Oven Chips my modem is a 100 model
the mac address begins 00 d0 59
and i am in Belfast

Really hope you can sort out this problem soon, thanks.

bugheadcjd
20-01-2006, 23:19
Hi Oven Chips,

I'm still having the disconnection problem, seems worse when uploading.

Modem Model - 100

Mac - 00:d0:59:*:*:*
Nearest large town - Leicester

Modem says it has the following config:
ntlhm100_ntl0003.cpr

Since the modem has recieved the above config it has also started to 'freeze' every so often, the ENET, SYNC & RDY led's are lit solid, but neither the U/S & D/S led's show any activity. The connection is dead until the modem is power cycled.

Thanks.:)

joggerspark
20-01-2006, 23:39
HI Ovenchips
I have the same problem, here is my details:
Home 120
MAC: 00:d0:59
Watford

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable ModemCable
modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Network Access : EnabledMaximum
Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bpsMaximum
Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bpsMaximum
Number of CPEs: 1Software
Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr

Oven Chips
20-01-2006, 23:44
bugheadcjd - as I advised you before Xmas, please contact Tech Support.

nj212 - If those were the first 6 characters, the MAC address you have given is from a Palm Pilot VII, if they were the last 6 perhaps a Moderator could remove them?

To be clear: the only MAC address ranges I am interested in are
First 6 characters** of your MAC Address on the label underneath the modem they will be 00:d0:59 or 00:02:8a and the timing is since Tuesday 17th January

Thanks

nj2112
21-01-2006, 00:04
nj212 - If those were the first 6 characters, the MAC address you have given is from a Palm Pilot VII, if they were the last 6 perhaps a Moderator could remove them?

Sorry, looking at the wrong piece of paper. Not from CM mac at all.

Modem 120
mac 00:02:8A
Guildford

ic2
21-01-2006, 00:31
Sorry, looking at the wrong piece of paper. Not from CM mac at all.

Modem 120
mac 00:02:BA
Guildford

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:29 ----------

Modem 120
mac 00:02:A8
Rickmansworth

tomw|neowin
21-01-2006, 00:48
Modem 120
mac 00: D0:59
Bromley

Ps: this is the best site for any NTL issues, much better than NTL CS - keep it up!

JamShady
21-01-2006, 01:09
Hi, I just registered to add my voice to the crowd and say I've been suffering from this problem too for the last few days.

OvenChips - My details are:
Modem Model - Home 120
MAC Address: 00 : D0 : 59

And the rest in case it's useful
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps

XFS03
21-01-2006, 01:50
Locked up again this afternoon while downloading. Been ok so far while browsing.

ntl:home 120
Mac 00 D0 59
Dagenham

Kellendel
21-01-2006, 01:57
I would post my details but I had the 120 swapped to a 250 today thanks to an understanding engineer who even had a look at this thread.

stanton
21-01-2006, 01:58
Hi Having the same problem:

Modem Model - Home 120
MAC Address: 00 D0 59

and the rest of the details:

Network Access : Enabled Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps Maximum Number of CPEs : 1 Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr Software Upgrade AdminStatus : ignoreProvisioningUpgrade Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromMgt

Jacen
21-01-2006, 05:25
Hi,

Same probs here :(

Modem: ntl:home 120
MAC Address: 00 02 8A

Hope NTL can sort it out soon :)

deadite66
21-01-2006, 06:55
Modem ntl:home 120
MAc 00:d0:59

sjw
21-01-2006, 09:14
Home 120
MAC: 00:d0:59
Liverpool

Modem just stops working and a restart sorts the problem out for a short while. Has happened over 10 times.
The power light stays on and the last 2.

loganakajon
21-01-2006, 10:18
My NTL Home 120 does the same. I upgraded just b4 xmas from 2M to 10M had no real problems until Friday 20th. I told my m8 who is also on 10M and he says that hes bin havin problems (net on net off) for a few days.

Modem 120
MAC 00.DO.59
Location DERBY

Also sjw and deadite66 look at your Software Upgrade AdminStatus they are not the same. WEIRD !

DieDieMyDarling
21-01-2006, 11:00
Ambit 120
00 d0 59
Belfast
Been having problems since the 17th. And i've had the 003 firmware upgrade.

Tenpounds
21-01-2006, 11:28
Hi guys im new to this forum...

mine is hanging since the 10 meg update. What tests do i run to check firmware updates ect ect?

Hitcher
21-01-2006, 11:28
Just keep phoning and complaining eventually you'll get an engineer come out and he'll, hopefully, change you over to a 250.

Worked for me.

XFS03
21-01-2006, 11:42
Hi guys im new to this forum...

mine is hanging since the 10 meg update. What tests do i run to check firmware updates ect ect?Welcome to the forums.

If you go here http://192.168.100.1 (username & password = root) & click on "operation configuration", you will be able to see if you have the latest firmware. The latest one which appears to be causing the trouble is :-

sjw
21-01-2006, 11:45
Typical!!!
Try to call NTL and there's something wrong with my BT line!!! :mad::mad:
And Vodafone charge for 0800 calls..:mad:

Tenpounds
21-01-2006, 11:47

I have the following:-

Network Access : EnabledMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bpsMaximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bpsMaximum Number of CPEs : 1Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cprSoftware Upgrade AdminStatus : ignoreProvisioningUpgradeSoftware Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromMgt

I think that i have the same problem, only mine only seems to disconnect whilst im idle and also seems to be downloading at 4mbps

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Im in a 12 min hold Q lol

Bladeando
21-01-2006, 12:01

Modem 120
MAC 00.DO.59
Location DERBY

same as Jon. we live near by and usually monitor things together.

i have had this problem for four DAYS now!!

i have two pc's through a router and originally assumed it was my router playing up.

it kills my donwlaods/sometimes corrupts them.

it crashes my kids PC everytime it hangs.

i run a gaming league on the internet and it bombed me out of administrating matches 4 times on wednesday & thursday night. it is killing my ability to be able to run the league.

i have another theory as to why NTL have done this, as we see it, pointless upgrade.

if they actually know it hangs..they don't have to admit to being like other isp's that limit the use with a ut of period to which you have to reconnect but more to the point.....

IT Prevents ANYBODY leaving their PC on overnight while downloading.

now that cuts their bandwidth usage right down doesn't it!!!!!:mad:

i have never had a single problem with NTL in all the time i have had it but now i am well peed off.

I think that i have the same problem, only mine only seems to disconnect whilst im idle and also seems to be downloading at 4mbps
i take it that is a mistake m8, if you really are downloading at 4Mbps i wudnt complain as u should be maxing at 1.2mbps

mcmanic
21-01-2006, 12:12
Modem Model - 120
First 6 characters of MAC Address - 00:02:8a
Where you are ie nearest large town - Brighton

directly connect to modem

Been doing this since firmware upgrade to 003 and cannot obtain full 10meg without locking up which can be totally random from 1min to 1hour - but needs power cord reset on modem

this is the 1st issue i've ever had with NTL BB and they have always been spot on with speeds, modem is about 2/3 years old now

GriBBsY
21-01-2006, 12:52
My 120 is showing the same symptoms. Details as follows:
Modem Model - 120
MAC Address 00:d0:59
Nearest town: Ashford, Kent

It has died while I've been posting this :-( I have not contacted support yet, but intend to. I don't fancy sitting on the phone all day though!

Bladeando
21-01-2006, 12:56
ahhh
just finished on the phone with NTL...

they still refuse to accept it is the firmware....HOWEVER....

i got an engineer booked for this monday and they are bringing me a new latest edition modem.

Paul
21-01-2006, 13:00
Please keep the posts on topic people. I have removed a bunch of OT this morning.

bonnie2000
21-01-2006, 13:31
I upgraded from 2mb to 10 mb on the 18th and have been having this promlem ever since.
Oven Chips my details are-

120 modem
00:d0:59
nearest town Watford/Luton

and i have got ther 0003 firmware

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

same as Jon. we live near by and usually monitor things together.

i have had this problem for four DAYS now!!

i have two pc's through a router and originally assumed it was my router playing up.

it kills my donwlaods/sometimes corrupts them.

it crashes my kids PC everytime it hangs.

i run a gaming league on the internet and it bombed me out of administrating matches 4 times on wednesday & thursday night. it is killing my ability to be able to run the league.

i have another theory as to why NTL have done this, as we see it, pointless upgrade.

if they actually know it hangs..they don't have to admit to being like other isp's that limit the use with a ut of period to which you have to reconnect but more to the point.....

IT Prevents ANYBODY leaving their PC on overnight while downloading.

now that cuts their bandwidth usage right down doesn't it!!!!!:mad:

i have never had a single problem with NTL in all the time i have had it but now i am well peed off.

i take it that is a mistake m8, if you really are downloading at 4Mbps i wudnt complain as u should be maxing at 1.2mbps

The thing is with mine it would'nt stop me leaving it on overnight because mine just disconnects from the net but immediately reconnects itself

Bladeando
21-01-2006, 13:45
I upgraded from 2mb to 10 mb on the 18th and have been having this promlem ever since.
Oven Chips my details are-

120 modem
00:d0:59
nearest town Watford/Luton

and i have got ther 0003 firmware

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

The thing is with mine it would'nt stop me leaving it on overnight because mine just disconnects from the net but immediately reconnects itself

question then...are you using a router?

reason i ask, is mine will not reconnect, i am using a router, logan's will not reconenct, he is using a router.

i don't know about other users but we have to turn the modem off and back on to reset it otherwise the net stays off.

trying to see if there is another variable here or not.

bonnie2000
21-01-2006, 14:19
question then...are you using a router?

reason i ask, is mine will not reconnect, i am using a router, logan's will not reconenct, he is using a router.

i don't know about other users but we have to turn the modem off and back on to reset it otherwise the net stays off.

trying to see if there is another variable here or not.

no i am connected straight to the modem via ethernet,i lose connection but it then reconnects by itself but i lose connection every(without fail) 15-20 mins which seems a lot more frequent than others

mcmanic
21-01-2006, 14:20
mine has just done it again, was throttling download of Usenetserver to around 3/4meg as it was ok at this this morning and now trying something else to download at same settings and its just died and requiring a reboot of modem.

SYNC and RDY lights still on, Power light On, Upstream light flickers, Downstream DEAD.

Modem to PC using ethernet

icanadvise
21-01-2006, 15:28
fine here in Manc but not on the o3 firmwear an just realized who "Oven Chips" is :welcome: :nworthy:

Rik
21-01-2006, 18:30
NTL 120 Modem
Mac Address 00: D0 :59
Hemel Hempstead

(Luton Proxy)

And there was me blaming XP 64Bit lol and bad drivers!!:)

Funghi
21-01-2006, 18:34
Oven Chips,

I have been having problems with the modem locking regularly since Tuesday 17th

Modem model: ntl:home 120

First 6 characters of MAC Address: 00 D0 59

Nearest town: Middlesbrough

Modem operation configuration:-

kq501
21-01-2006, 18:49
Hi, 10meg was working fine, but the last few days it has been cutting out frequently with downloads, nearly every 5-10 mins.

Modem, 120

Glasgow

Will be calling CS to demand new modem or I'll be changing providers.

Zordon
21-01-2006, 20:18
I Upgraded to 10mb service last thursday, however i did have a problem with my nic so was unable to test (Marvel nic kept flooding my lan with traffic and router would lock up if i downloaded more than one file at a time).

Today i replaced the nic and this resolved the issue i had. I set off several downloads and all looked great, all of a sudden internet access died. the 1st time i assumed it was the original fault, and powered off the mains adapter (shared with router and cable modem). The second time I noticed this fault was different i could still access the router config pages (never could with original issue). Released IP address from the cable modem and it would then not renew. reset only the cable modem this time and all ok.

10-15 mins later same problem. Repeated reset and again all ok for another 10-15 mins. This kept happening and i tried replacing the router with my old (non wireless one) and connecting the pc and then my laptop directly to the cable modem, still with the same problem, i then found this forum thread. While reading from the 1st page to the last my modem locked up another 3 times:mad:

I have tried limiting the speed to aprox 2mb, and this did have a slight effect as i got 20-25 mins.

Anyway as while i was writing this it happened again, so i left the fault on the modem and i spoke to NTL CS. I told the girl i had the problem and that i replaced the router and swapped pc's, she got me to reboot the router and did a remote test and this did show up a fault. Engineer now booked to replace cable modem on Friday (6pm - 8pm), oh i also requested they bring a 250 cable modem.

I have to admit i was a little surprised that this was so easy to arrange, i was expecting a big argument, and them to want to perform loads of tests. Could it possibly be that NTL support are aware of this issue now? OR have an additional test they perform on the cable modem?

I have just lowered the download speed again to 1mb hopefully this will stay connected. and i will keep it like this till Friday.

Some tech details from the cable modem:
Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
IP address : 10.232.118.93
Downstream Receive Power Level : 8.61 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.62 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 34.00 dBmv
Upstream Frequency : 36800000 Hz
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 34.00 dBmv
ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr

XFS03
22-01-2006, 02:12
...i take it that is a mistake m8, if you really are downloading at 4Mbps i wudnt complain as u should be maxing at 1.2mbpsI think he probably does mean 4 Mbps (= 480 KB/s).

The 10Mbps service should download at approx. 1.2 MB/s.

I got my head bitten off last time I tried to clarify this, but b = bits & B = Bytes.

Oven Chips
22-01-2006, 12:48
All,

many thanks for the info so far. I am back in the office tomorrow and will be able to get a better picture then.

Peter

displaced
22-01-2006, 13:24
All,

many thanks for the info so far. I am back in the office tomorrow and will be able to get a better picture then.

Peter

Hi,

Just in case you're still after more info, I'm also experiencing these problems since the latest firmware upgrade (I'm on the 10Mbit service, and my CM says it's using firmware ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr)

CM Model: ntl:home 120
First 6 MAC digits: 00:D0:59
Nearest Town: Bromley, Kent

Thanks!

Paul
22-01-2006, 14:52
Great, it's now started it on my new 250 modem.

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : 00:0e:9
Software Version : 2.94.101
This thread is for 100/120 modems only please, off topic posts will be removed.

recall2000
22-01-2006, 15:07
Yep, still happening here too. Engineer coming tomorrow morning - hopefully it gets "fixed" - which means modem replaced seeing as that's the "fix" - although not good if it is happening to the 250s as well.

Details;

CM Model: ntl:home 100
First 6 MAC digits: 00 : D0 : 59
Nearest Town: Tamworth, Staffs.

Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0003.cpr

Cheers.

Oven Chips
22-01-2006, 15:25
Thanks for the info.

although not good if it is happening to the 250s as well.
To be completely blunt - not specifically about your post, more the one above, this is how completely inaccurate "scare stories" start, then propogate.

So let me first give a simple fact: nothing at all has been done towards 250 modems, they have not had a firmware upgrade. The fact that 1 person has a fault that sounds the same on a different type of modem is no reason to suspect the 250 of anything.

The action that Paul has taken in pointing out that this thread is about 100/120 modems, (and seemingly the replies from here and elsewhere are more about 120s) is much appreciated.

:cool:
Peter

bodhead
22-01-2006, 16:05
Same here keeps locking up since friday night.am on the 10meg.
and very low speeds since then like 1,2 meg

First 6 MAC digits: 00 : D0 : 59
Nearest Town: Grimsby,North East Lincs

Network Access : EnabledMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bpsMaximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bpsMaximum Number of CPEs : 1Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cprSoftware Upgrade AdminStatus : ignoreProvisioningUpgradeSoftware Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromMgt

uno
22-01-2006, 19:17
Here are some details
Modem home 100
00 : D0 : 59
ntlhm100_003.cpr
its my sisters in LE4 area of Leicester I believe from Northfield hub
and
Home 120
ntlhm120_003.cpr
Thats brothers in LE3 area of Leicester from Oswin Road Headend
Both are suffering frequent disconnects and resets since tuesday before that was fairly stable at around 4-5mb never any higher even in middle of night.

Ravantti
22-01-2006, 21:13
Same problem here after about 30 mins browsing it slows down to this:

1st 128K took 12578 ms = 10421 Bytes/sec = approx 87 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 10204 ms = 12845 Bytes/sec = approx 107 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 12328 ms = 10632 Bytes/sec = approx 88 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 12250 ms = 10700 Bytes/sec = approx 89 kbits/sec

I thought it was after we had a millisecond power cut twice in 10 miniutes that was the cause but it appears everyone is in the same boat.

Normally get between 5 and 8 meg. Again a 120 modem. Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr Nearest town Ware but proxy is Luton.

Thanks

Chris W
22-01-2006, 21:19
A general note here- if you are going to post a mac address with contains ":" then "D" please ensure there is a space between these characters, otherwise you get this --> :D

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Also, Mr Chips, do you need more examples?

Mick
22-01-2006, 21:57
A general note here- if you are going to post a mac address with contains ":" then "D" please ensure there is a space between these characters, otherwise you get this --> :D

Or tick the box 'Disable smilies in text' in the Miscellaneous Options just under the Submit reply button. (if your not using the 'Quick Reply feature'). :)

bobp
22-01-2006, 22:23
Hi
I've been having the locking up problem since last Tuesday from around 10 to 90 minutes apart. There doesn't seem to be any difference whether I'm downloading at full speed or just browsing. When locked, the lights on the modem look completely normal and even the d/l light is flashing, but I have no web connection and I cannot access 192.168.100.1, and only a power cycle will clear it.

First 6 MAC digits: 00 : 02 : 8A
Nearest Town: Swanley (BR8)

Thanks

Oven Chips
22-01-2006, 22:46
Also, Mr Chips, do you need more examples?
Not really. I'm off to bed now and will speak to the people in the office tomorrow.

Peter

Rik
22-01-2006, 23:22
All,

Peter

Much Appreciated
;0)

Rob2005
23-01-2006, 04:35
Ovenchips, been having problems for about a week. Modem hands, I repower it, then happens again. Speed flucuates between 10 KB/s (!) and 1.2MB per sec.

120 modem
00:02:8A
Romford (East London)

I download from Giganews a lot, Giganews say its nothing to do with them....they've heard of a "few" problems with customers connecting from ntl ips.

bugheadcjd
23-01-2006, 05:55
My colleague at work is having the same problems, his modem stops responding approx. every 10 minutes and only works again after powering it on and off. Also said that he's getting very slow speeds.

Modem model: home100
MAC: 00 : D0 : 59
Config: ntlhm100_003.cpr
Nearest Town: Nottingham

skipy
23-01-2006, 09:19
same problems stops responding after 20 minutes

Modem model: home100
Nearest Town : Grimsby

markknell
23-01-2006, 11:37
Hi all

I called Support this morning to report this problem. The first time I got through I was told to call back when the problem was there as I had reset the power on the modem. I did say there were a number of people complaining with the same problem on Cable Forum and I had already reset the power twice in the last hour but he wasn't interested.

The second time I called, (three minutes later, although it was dead by then!!) I spoke to a support engineer who actually reads this forum and done a quick test communicating with the modem. He more or less said there is no point messing around as this would seem more than a one off. He has arranged an engineer to replace the modem later this week.

I've got to say the second conversation was much eaiser based on the fact he actually read this forum and he got a better understanding of the problems that are out there right now. :clap: Maybe all NTL support people should come here.

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper for NTL to just roll back the recent firmware update ? Or have mis-read on that part ?

JamShady
23-01-2006, 12:46
I envy you, I had a charming conversation with "Gareth" this morning who proceeded to tell me that all was well, this disconnection issue is actually a feature believe it or not, and not a fault! In either case, my service is NOT compromised because I can reconnect by turning the modem off and back on again.

Yeah, tell that to my Xbox Live competitors! :mad:

He also said I should disable ZoneAlarm - like that would have anything to do with it. But no problem, I hate ZoneAlarm anyway, and as such have never installed it (well, I did years ago, but never used it since). He "knows" I'm using ZoneAlarm because he can't ping my machine - odd, pinging always works for me. But he managed to do a diagnostic on my modem :confused:

The diagnostic shows the modem rebooted itself 20 odd times, and I reset it about 40 times over the last 30 days (they can't pinpoint to the last few days apparently) - this is normal and certainly not indicitive of a problem.

Oh, and did you know, this firmware upgrade was done months ago, there's no reason there should be problems now.

Suffice to say, he would not book an engineer, or acknowledge any problem, and advised me to call customer services if I have a complaint :mad:

markknell
23-01-2006, 13:52
:omg: :LOL:

I would call back and hopefully speak to someone new. There maybe people that would moan about that suggestion for tying up the call centres but I think you have a valid problem. In my experience with NTL, you speak to one person and get one answer and five minutes later you get a different answer from someone else.

The fact you have to power off the modem to get it working again doesn't sound like a feature to me. Is he an idiot??

Good luck !

I envy you, I had a charming conversation with "Gareth" this morning who proceeded to tell me that all was well, this disconnection issue is actually a feature believe it or not, and not a fault! In either case, my service is NOT compromised because I can reconnect by turning the modem off and back on again.

Yeah, tell that to my Xbox Live competitors! :mad:

He also said I should disable ZoneAlarm - like that would have anything to do with it. But no problem, I hate ZoneAlarm anyway, and as such have never installed it (well, I did years ago, but never used it since). He "knows" I'm using ZoneAlarm because he can't ping my machine - odd, pinging always works for me. But he managed to do a diagnostic on my modem :confused:

The diagnostic shows the modem rebooted itself 20 odd times, and I reset it about 40 times over the last 30 days (they can't pinpoint to the last few days apparently) - this is normal and certainly not indicitive of a problem.

Oh, and did you know, this firmware upgrade was done months ago, there's no reason there should be problems now.

Suffice to say, he would not book an engineer, or acknowledge any problem, and advised me to call customer services if I have a complaint :mad:

JamShady
23-01-2006, 15:35
I would call back and hopefully speak to someone new. There maybe people that would moan about that suggestion for tying up the call centres but I think you have a valid problem. In my experience with NTL, you speak to one person and get one answer and five minutes later you get a different answer from someone else.
Didn't have the time, I had to go to work. But I tried not so long ago, got through to a lady this time who was more accepting of the problem "since it's an intermittent fault, we HAVE to call an engineer out". Only problem was, she refused to do it unless I was sitting at my pc (I was in a payphone 'cos my mobile charges for 0800 numbers now).

The fact you have to power off the modem to get it working again doesn't sound like a feature to me.
Oh no no no, you misunderstand. The modem resetting itself 20 times is perfectly normal, it's "housekeeping", keeping itself nice and tidy.

And me turning it off 40 times in the last month is normal too. Most people turn their modem off at the end of the day. Nope, nothing unusual here.

Except when you consider the fact I never turn anything off. My router, modem, computers, monitors, everything, stays on 24/7! The modem has only started resetting itself in the last couple of days - it's definately not housekeeping. And I am forced into turning it off and on to get it working again. 60 resets in a week is a bit much, but no no, this is averaged over 30 days. Sorry, normal behaviour, no fault, go away :mad:

Is he an idiot??
I leave you to draw your own inferences - but I'd definately say YES!

Donkey Rhubarb
23-01-2006, 16:06
Yo,

Ive been having the same problems as you guys. Got the ntlhome 100 modem.

The thing keeps cutting out after x mins. Getting on my tits. Seriously considering changing company.

Dont suppose there are any good alternatives?

:mad:

gripper103
23-01-2006, 17:25
So glad I'm not the only one having this problem,been driving me nuts,one minute its hunkydory,the next nothing.
I think I'll try phoning CS to see what sort of response I get,have already emailed using the facility on the board,perhaps everyone else should do the same,that would be fun for them :)

Oven Chips
23-01-2006, 17:53
A bit of an update for you all.

Ntl: will be taking corrective action mid week. I will have a definitive statement on "when" on Wednesday AM 25th January 2006.

Thanks for all the info so far. At this time we don't particularly need any more MAC Address / Location info.

Peter

Paul
23-01-2006, 17:59
Thanks for the update Mr Chips. :)

mcmanic
23-01-2006, 18:00
fingers crossed then.

GriBBsY
23-01-2006, 18:11
Many thanks for looking into this Mr Chips

deadite66
23-01-2006, 18:30
thanks for the update oven chips.

dasentity
23-01-2006, 18:56

Please can anyone who believes they are affected by the issue of 100/120 Modems locking up post the following information in this thread:Modem Model - 100 or 120 *
First 6 characters** of your MAC Address on the label underneath the modem they will be 00:d0:59 or 00:02:8a
Where you are ie nearest large town, etc.

Some further requests:

* Please do not provide details unless you are using a 100 or 120 modem.
** Under no circumstances post the last 6 characters

modem model 120
well mine is MAC 00:02:8A
Poole Dorset
been locking up for @ 3-5 days and lucky to get over 5.5 mb
fone tech support and they said that my line was noisy???

thanks in advance

Das

bugheadcjd
23-01-2006, 19:19
Many thanks for update Mr Chips.

joggerspark
23-01-2006, 19:31
Thank you very much mr. oven chips.

jonze
23-01-2006, 22:55
I can't tell you how happy I am this thread exists. I was on the verge of buying a new router because I'd managed to convince myself it was the router!! (sometimes my housemate can download/access the web just fine, and I get the problem - 99.5% of the time it locks up and we need to cycle it).

NTL Home:120
00:02:8A
Leicester (LE2)

I'm paying £70 a month for all of this NTL stuff, and they go ahead and release disruptive firmware. I'm a student, I can't afford for my net to go down when I'm working (Computer Science student), especially when I have e-lectures and I'm developing a web-based service application for my finals. Have NTL not got a Quality Assurance process? Do they not perform verification and validation on the firmware they create? I really, honestly hope that they lose a few customers just to warn them that this sort of thing isn't on. five-ten days of downtime might not seem a lot but it is highly disruptive; I wouldn't mind it if we were given some sort of compensation.

Mr. Chips, you're a godsend. thanks for sticking here and listening to our complains, and most of all taking a proactive approach to getting this all sorted. Hopefully my Ntlhome:250 modem will be on its way to my house asap.

-Jonze

Rik
24-01-2006, 00:36
A bit of an update for you all.

Ntl: will be taking corrective action mid week. I will have a definitive statement on "when" on Wednesday AM 25th January 2006.

Thanks for all the info so far. At this time we don't particularly need any more MAC Address / Location info.

Peter

Many Thanks For the update
Mr Chips!!

PS why oven and not fried :D

Jay NI
24-01-2006, 12:13
Just to let everyone know that the NTL engineer that i had arranged arrived on time this morning :) and listened to what i had to say about what i was experiencing and what i had read about the problem on this forum. He replied saying that the 100 and 120 modems were not capable of 10mb and have been having problems and replaced the modem with a brand new shiney 250 modem, also wiring it up via ethernet and i am now recieving a full 10mb connection, no more between 5 and 7 like what i was recieving before the problem ocurred. So this confirms that there is definitly a problem with the 100 and 120 modems and im once again a happy NTL customer lol.

btw thanks very much Oven Chips for acknoledging everyones complaints on here and keeping us up to date with progress of whats being done about it, your 1 in a million. :nworthy:

Albie
24-01-2006, 12:38
He replied saying that the 100 and 120 modems were not capable of 10mb and have been having problems

That's a load of bloody nonsense.

I'm on the 1MB tier with a 120 modem and still getting disconnected.

It has nothing to do with the modems - it's the connection itself.

Paul
24-01-2006, 12:49
That's a load of bloody nonsense.

It has nothing to do with the modems - it's the connection itself.Um, no .....

The problems in this topic have nothing to do with the connection, they are modem issues. The 100 & 120 modems could not run at 10 meg with their original (v1) firmware, so ntl released a firmware update (v2) for those people on 10 meg. Last week they did another update in some areas (to v3) and this has caused the current problems that many are experiencing. As above - "corrective action" is expected later in the week (which one would assume is either v4 of the firmware, or a restoration to v2).

Mr Fuzzy
24-01-2006, 13:06
As above - "corrective action" is expected later in the week (which one would assume is either v4 of the firmware, or a restoration to v2).

Though quite why there has been no quick reversion to the previous version is beyond me - surely it's simple enough for them to do that to restore functionality before getting down to the meat of the 'corrective action'? Not to mention the question of why the firmware was released seemingly having had no testing beforehand.

Paul
24-01-2006, 13:11
Who said there had been no testing ? I'm quite sure it was tested and whatever this problem is, it didn't show itself in testing. It's quite obviously only happening in a small percentage of updated modems, otherwise huge numbers of people would be having problems.

Similarly, it makes no sense to rush into a reversion of hundreds of thousands of modems, and remember that it was only really over Friday & the weekend that enough information was collected to confirm there was a real problem.

Albie
24-01-2006, 13:14
Um, no .....

The problems in this topic have nothing to do with the connection, they are modem issues. The 100 & 120 modems could not run at 10 meg with their original (v1) firmware, so ntl released a firmware update (v2) for those people on 10 meg. Last week they did another update in some areas (to v3) and this has caused the current problems that many are experiencing. As above - "corrective action" is expected later in the week (which one would assume is either v4 of the firmware, or a restoration to v2).

Well how am I getting the same problem with disconnections on 1MB?

Paul
24-01-2006, 13:19
Well how am I getting the same problem with disconnections on 1MB?Do you have one of these modems, with v3 of the firmware ? If yes, then the answer should be obvious, if not then you have problem with similar symptoms, but not the problem this topic refers to.

JamShady
24-01-2006, 14:08
I just thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone. I've found a way to force the modem to hang, useful for demonstrating to a techie who doesn't believe there's a problem.

I managed to get a Premium Xbox yesterday, so the first thing I did was to try and download fight night 3 (400+ Mb). I've been using a core for the past few weeks so everything to do with Live is OK, plus I know my way around the network.

Anyway, out of the 20 or so times I tried, the modem hung after 20 seconds - consistently. Didn't matter if it was in one stretch or not, I tried to download for 10 seconds at a time, after the second time the modem hung. Basically, it would only allow a set bandwidth to be downloaded before crashing.

Just to make sure it wasn't something else, I downloaded a different demo - exact same thing happened. The funny thing is, I've calculated that the modem is allowing about 7-8Mb to be downloaded before cutting out. But from my PC I downloaded a 30Mb file with no problems :confused:

Something definately dodgy is going on, but hopefully someone might be able to use this information to force their modem to hang as a demonstration of the problem.

mcmanic
24-01-2006, 14:19
what PAUL M states is correct:

My History with NTL 120 HOME:
3meg on firmware 001 = fine
10meg on firmware 002 = 5/7meg BUT could get full 10meg of newsgroups
NTL update to firmware 003 = Hangs on any downloading at random points during download

tomw|neowin
24-01-2006, 15:02
Just an update from my neck of the woods. Nearly a week later (when I was promised a 3 day response, which is still poor) I've received a phone call to say that there is a known issue (well done, this forum told me that) and that they're looking into it and escalating cases. I asked if I could be swapped to an NTL 250 modem but I need to contact NTL customer services and speak to them regarding this and the constant loss of connectivity.

I hope they hurry this issue to get fixed but knowing NTL it will be weeks or maybe even months before it's fixed. They should just roll the modems back unless there was a real reason to roll them forward in the first place.

JamShady
24-01-2006, 15:46
what PAUL M states is correct:

My History with NTL 120 HOME:
3meg on firmware 001 = fine
10meg on firmware 002 = 5/7meg BUT could get full 10meg of newsgroups
NTL update to firmware 003 = Hangs on any downloading at random points during download
I think the 5/7Mb is a limitation of other websites and servers. On mine, I consistently got 10Mb from robin walkers test site and some sites gave me 1000Kbps+ downloads for a short while. It depends on how fast the servers can send you the information.

markknell
24-01-2006, 16:48
I'm getting my modem swapped out on Saturday with, I assume, a 250. I don't think I will stop that happening even if NTL get it working during the week. If there weren't issues they wouldn't of updated the firmware in the first place.

bugheadcjd
24-01-2006, 17:04
I noticed this evening that my firmware has resorted back to Version 2:

ntlhm100_ntl0002.cpr

deadite66
24-01-2006, 17:07
still ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr for me

phoenix__
24-01-2006, 17:12
My ntl home 100 has just been downgraded to revision 2 firmware - although in the last 5 mins all network access (including 192.168.100.1) just stopped then started again - perhaps that was just at the point that it did downgrade.

Got an engineer booked for Saturday - hopefully I'll get a new modem anyway.

Rik
24-01-2006, 17:12
I now have the ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr
I will see if this makes any difference :)

mcmanic
24-01-2006, 17:33
yippie back to ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

and now downloads back to 10meg and no disconnects.

Remember NTL - If it ain't broke don't fix it

cheers for all who have posted this problem and the good outcome

rebel
24-01-2006, 17:34
Hi
Modem= Home 120
Mac= 00.02.8a
Town= Basingstoke

the last week i have had troubles with my modem going down eracticly, also never had 10meg yet, even though NTL contacted us saying we had it.

mcmanic
24-01-2006, 17:41
DL: 1.25 mB/sec, deffo fixed now

Rebel - reboot your modem that'll fix your disconnects, as for not gettting 10meg thats another issue and not neccassry to do with NTL120 Home modems, as now my 120 is back to what it was before the update which looks to have just been rolled out again back to 002

rebel
24-01-2006, 17:50
Cool thnx for checking this out Mr Oven Chips

*§*

jonze
24-01-2006, 18:14
i just rebooted my modem and the firmware changed, to:
ntlhm120_ntl0001.cpr

errr, hehe. wtf - anywhere i can check the bandwidth? the board speed test shows:
Overall Average Speed = approx 4716 Kbps, 4.63 Mbps

:Yikes:

Albie
24-01-2006, 18:18
Do you have one of these modems, with v3 of the firmware ? If yes, then the answer should be obvious, if not then you have problem with similar symptoms, but not the problem this topic refers to.

No, not similar symptoms. The exact same symptoms.

joggerspark
24-01-2006, 18:26
mine has gone back too....
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

kq501
24-01-2006, 18:30
Can I ask any other members if there loss of service mainly happens when using bittorrent. I constantly lose connection whenever bittorrent activity increases i.e. a torrent with many seeds/peers. Is the Ambit 120 able to accept many connections at the one time. I have no problem with speeds while surfing or downloading with any other method. Downloading via IE gets me 1.25mb sec, zooms through downloads, via DC++ very high speeds also, but with torrents, as soon as the torrent picks up more connections the modem cuts out. Thats not to say speeds aren't great cos they can be, it just cant handle many connections. I've used torrents for ages and never had any problems while on NTL 2mb broadband. I don't think it's a coincidence that the connection cuts out while using this file sharing method. This happens with/without firewall, or all other obvious fixes.

displaced
24-01-2006, 18:34
No, not similar symptoms. The exact same symptoms.

The same symptoms doesn't really imply the same cause, however.

There's not a lot cable modems can really do. The symptoms of any problem are basically going to be one or more of: a) doesn't get a sync at all, b) loses sync after initially working ok, c) syncs, but doesn't pass data, d) syncs, passes data for a while, then stops, or d) just doesn't power on. But there can be a dozen or so causes, many of which will lead to the same symptoms.

The only thing that allows engineers to narrow down cause & effect are identifying the variables. This thread deals with symptoms that have arisen once one particular variable (the firmware) has changed.

joggerspark
24-01-2006, 18:37
mine has gone back too....

just done a total shutdown & restart & started downloading but the same thing as befor is happening... :mad:

tomw|neowin
24-01-2006, 19:01
mine has gone back....fingers crossed

Chrysalis
24-01-2006, 19:04
is it not possible and better for ntl to have stuck with v1 as standard and provided the v2 as a download link. Then people could choose to install it. Also everyone on the 1 and 2 meg tiers would have been completely unaffected by this.

tomw|neowin
24-01-2006, 19:15
Great. Now I'm on 1MEG speeds - what a joke!

sjw
24-01-2006, 19:27
Can I ask any other members if there loss of service mainly happens when using bittorrentYes.:erm: Seems fine uploading or downloading files through Firefox etc.

loganakajon
24-01-2006, 19:56
I did some speed tests with my 120, they were: 767Kb/sec 866, 654, 198, 972, as you can see they were eratic. Ntl engineer came round today, swapped my 120 for a nice shiny BLUE 250. once again i did some speed tests, they were: 1.24Mb/sec, 1.24, 1.24, 1.24, 1.24. WOW what a difference eh? you too can test your speed by going to http://homepage.ntlworld.com/testmyspeed/ then choosing 50Mb D/L. Good luck.

deadite66
24-01-2006, 20:02
got back to 0002 but it modem died again a moment ago

gripper103
24-01-2006, 20:24
Guys how do I find out which software version I have?

Paul
24-01-2006, 20:35
Great. Now I'm on 1MEG speeds - what a joke!Is that from a speed test or from your config file ?

deadite66
24-01-2006, 20:35
http://192.168.100.1/P_operation.htm

login: root
pass: root

bonnie2000
24-01-2006, 20:41
back to

and everything seems fine:cool:

mcmanic
24-01-2006, 20:46
Can I ask any other members if there loss of service mainly happens when using bittorrent.

i mainly use newsgroups, but i do use Bittorrent and emule some times and when i was on 002 Firmware or 001 on my NTL120 Home i never had any issue's with disconnects or too many connections causing disconnections.

Its only since 003 firmware that upon load internet connect would cutoff and Sync light and RDy light stay enabled but needing a hard reset (power) of the modem and this would be on anything downloadable and even a few times general browsing, (must of pulled the plug about 20 times in 1 week) where as before its been rock solid stable 24/7 if need be

Since early this evening when NTL have now rolled back to 002 firmware i've had not one issue with my downloads which is what it was before they did the upgrade to 003 last week.

jonze
24-01-2006, 21:42
am I the only one on 001 firmware?

ilys
24-01-2006, 22:17
Is the firmware reported by the modem supposed to be different when you have the coaxial cable unplugged? It reports 0002 when connected but 0003 when not.

I also seem to still be having this disco/lockup problem.

gripper103
24-01-2006, 22:30
Network Access : Enabled Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps Maximum Number of CPEs : 1 Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr Software Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgrade Software Upgrade OperStatus : completeFromProvisioning
Thanks deadite66 looks like i'm still on version 3,maybe a reboot might change it.
No dropouts yrt today but I've not pushed it

tomw|neowin
24-01-2006, 22:50
Is that from a speed test or from your config file ?

Speed tests. Seems to have picked up a little but about 10mins ago my modem dropped off again.

I phoned NTL tech support (bangalore) and they refuse to send an Engineer to replace this modem even though they've promised it 3 times before.

:(

markknell
25-01-2006, 00:20
I'm back on version 2 but I still have an engineer booked to replace the modem on Saturday. :D

nj2112
25-01-2006, 01:18
Modem on v2 but still getting dropouts.

JamShady
25-01-2006, 01:52
I'm back on v2 too, and my Xbox test still works - modem dropped out after 15 seconds.

jonze
25-01-2006, 02:05
since i've been on v1 (as mentioned earlier) i think we've had one dropout that corrected itself without having to reboot the modem (and i was watching tv so it didn't bother me). checked the modem, still on firmware 001.

wtf is going on with NTL at the moment, hehe :shocked:

Albie
25-01-2006, 04:12
The same symptoms doesn't really imply the same cause, however.

There's not a lot cable modems can really do. The symptoms of any problem are basically going to be one or more of: a) doesn't get a sync at all, b) loses sync after initially working ok, c) syncs, but doesn't pass data, d) syncs, passes data for a while, then stops, or d) just doesn't power on. But there can be a dozen or so causes, many of which will lead to the same symptoms.

The only thing that allows engineers to narrow down cause & effect are identifying the variables. This thread deals with symptoms that have arisen once one particular variable (the firmware) has changed.

Yes, but it looks like some people on this thread who have had their firmware rolled back are still getting disconnected.

This would imply that the connection itself is at fault and not the modem or firmware.

deadite66
25-01-2006, 06:25
Yes, but it looks like some people on this thread who have had their firmware rolled back are still getting disconnected.

This would imply that the connection itself is at fault and not the modem or firmware.

despite working perfectly for years then only getting it from last tuesday?

i'll see what happens today yesterday may have been a fluke.

EDIT
nope crashed again

stanton
25-01-2006, 07:41
mine has rolled back to the V2 firmware but its still dropping its connection.

mcmanic
25-01-2006, 08:14
ok i'm back, guess what............. same symptom.........

was downloading at 1.19mB/Sec and back at V2 firmware for about 5 mins and now its just freezed like before.

seems its not fixed. Why oh why did NTL have to mess with firmware - looks like they total borked 120 modems now

bugheadcjd
25-01-2006, 08:34
I think we need to be careful here before solely blaming the firmware.

I think like myself there are quite a few users who have borderline signal levels. The V3 firmware revision may have made matters worse or be totally unrelated?

Maybe a new thread needs to be started for the 100/120 modems that are still having problems after reverting back to V2 of the firmware. If the modem stats are supplied maybe one of kind NTL contacts could give their verdict?

joggerspark
25-01-2006, 08:35
Since the roll back to 0002, i have had the same problems so I have given up and left it in the hanging state as an engineer is coming round tonite and hopefully I will get a brand new modem...

JamShady
25-01-2006, 08:39
I'm back on v2 too, and my Xbox test still works - modem dropped out after 15 seconds.
I had an ntl engineer come see me this morning, and I proceeded to do my Xbox test for him. So I started a download, and counted in my head.... 20 seconds, it's still going strong...... 30 seconds and still going...... 1 minute and 23% downloaded, uh oh, it's totally working now for the engineer who probably thinks I'm a nutcase at this point :o: Somewhere in the middle of the night the problem fixed itself.

Anyway, I got him to read this thread and he agreed to swap it out for a 250, woohoo. We waited until the MAC address updated, had a quick test on msn to see if it could log in, success!

So, 2 minutes after he left, I started my FNR3 download again - 20 seconds later I got the same symptoms as before on the 250 :Yikes:

Fortunately, a reboot has fixed it, phew. Speed test from Robin Walker is a little more eratic, but it's a lot more stable now and that can't be bad :tu:

mcmanic
25-01-2006, 08:42
just happened again...........grrrrr

wasn't really using last night, but now this morning twice and no doubt will be more on my download

as for power levels here is mine:
Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.92
dBmvDownstream SNR : 33.46
dBUpstream Transmit Power Level : 44.75 dBmv

Oven Chips
25-01-2006, 08:52
Morning,

as has been reported (so I'm a bit late I know but wasn't in the office yesterday afternoon) the software has started to be been reverted.

Please note that I underlined the started because for some it is a 2 stage process.

In effect you may be seeing that the modem tells you you are on 0002 now but what you are seeing is what the config file is telling the modem it should be on.

In some cases there is a need for a further reset which is scheduled for tonight. In other words the modem firmware is still on 0003 even though it tells you its on 0002.

Peter

mcmanic
25-01-2006, 09:15
that would explain a few things then, lol

thanks for the update, was just gonna e-mail my NTL friend in Luton for a Modem replacement, shall wait now

markknell
25-01-2006, 09:36
I'm sure glad there are people like you on this forum, thanks for the info Oven Chips. Just think how many people are NOT calling the support desk over this now :)

Morning,

as has been reported (so I'm a bit late I know but wasn't in the office yesterday afternoon) the software has started to be been reverted.

Please note that I underlined the started because for some it is a 2 stage process.

In effect you may be seeing that the modem tells you you are on 0002 now but what you are seeing is what the config file is telling the modem it should be on.

In some cases there is a need for a further reset which is scheduled for tonight. In other words the modem firmware is still on 0003 even though it tells you its on 0002.

Peter

joggerspark
25-01-2006, 10:52
hey thanks for that info mr chips.. makes sense that the problem still exisists if the actual firmware is still 0003... :)

tomw|neowin
25-01-2006, 12:04
Like everyone else I am getting the dropouts too.

Lets hope tonight is the final night then :) Thanks for the update

Rik
25-01-2006, 12:07
Thanks for looking into this Mr Chips.
I was on the brink of ringing TS as my modem now keeps rebooting itself automatically, lights all going out then reinitiating, like when you reboot it manually.

Ill hold on till tomorrow.
Then contact NTL, im really rather dissapointed with this after having NTL Broadband for 3 years, and I was very very satisfied.

(another modem reboot! just now)
So cant post this reply quite yet!

A nice ethernet light and DS light is all at the moment ;(

If work is being done then i will roll with this, but you never know when somethings broke :)

jonze
25-01-2006, 12:42
This forum has saved me £60 on a new router, and at least £30 in calls to the CS desk with my mobile. So I'm eternally thankful. Lets hope after tonight it all gets sorted out, eh? :) thankyou mr. over chips your help has been fantastic. give me your paypal and i'll send you £3.00 for a beer :p:

(ps:
still find it interesting that I'm the only one with:
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0001.cpr

I hope this isn't anything to be worried about, as well:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.50 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 35.69 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 51.25 dBmv

-
Jonze

displaced
25-01-2006, 14:28
Morning,

Peter
Ah, thanks Peter. That makes a lot of sense. Out of sheer luck (apparently), I've not had any problem since my CM's admin pages started reporting v0002 firmware.

Do ntl still allow the user to query the CM's using SNMP? If so, I might re-download Robin D. Walker's DocsDiag software which can query the CM's SNMP info. If I remember rightly, it can give a dump of the CM's log. It should be possible to tell from that whether or not the firmware specified in the .cpr file has actually been downloaded and applied yet. I haven't tinkered with DocsDiag since 2001-ish, when we had a Terayon Terajet :)

Just out of curiosity :)

rebel
25-01-2006, 14:53
Thnx Mr chips thats good news

It will be cool to get the cm's stable, I do have another question though, How will NTL rectify the problem of getting us ppl that are on 10mb actually to be able to hit these speeds?

If you could shed some light on this, I would be grateful ??

gripper103
25-01-2006, 17:18
I've phoned up CS this morning and the guy on the other end of the line said ,"yes you have a problem with your modem,it has dropped connection 150 times in a month".
They are sending someone out Friday morning,so I'll keep you posted on developments.

joggerspark
25-01-2006, 17:44
Since the roll back to 0002, i have had the same problems so I have given up and left it in the hanging state as an engineer is coming round tonite and hopefully I will get a brand new modem...

Yaay.. the engineer rang me on my mobile to check I was home, came half an hour earlier than scheduled, asked what problem I had & what speed I was on. Immediately knew the problem, told me its a firmware issue & connected me to a brand new 250, registered the new MAC & got me connected within 5 minutes.. I have run a test download & no more hangings... yaay :) now I can get a :beer: & chill out.

bobp
25-01-2006, 19:22
Thanks Mr Chips. Back to ntlhm120_ntl0002 and all's well.

tomw|neowin
25-01-2006, 23:47
I don't wanna jinx anything but my modem hasn't cut out at all this evening...

Swoopie
26-01-2006, 00:11
ntl home 100

Restarts any time I do a bit of uploading, or if im extracting a file over ssh i'll get my modem reset, really annoying. (Cause of the output from the server)

tfboy
26-01-2006, 01:09
Thanks to Mr Oven for contributing to this thread. I have a 100 modem and have been with ntl for 4 years without a single glitch, only to be plagued over the last few days with this loss of connection.

I didn't think to look at the CM's status page before, but now I get:

Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0002.cpr

I wonder if the ignoreProvisioningUpgrade means anything significant. Rebooted the CM this evening when I got home and will see if connection is lost again ;)

Rik
26-01-2006, 01:13
connections been a nightmare all day!!
Ive done a few tests and basically the modem only resets when im using Bit Torrent, (ive even moved away from the default port of 6881)

Works fine on newsgroups
So why? the disconnects on Bit Torrent??

Lets hope this "Maintenence" is over in Hemel Hempstead soon :(

---------- Post added at 01:13 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

I wonder if the ignoreProvisioningUpgrade means anything significant. Rebooted the CM this evening when I got home and will see if connection is lost again ;)

Mine says this.

Why the difference?
What does this mean?

Thx

Swoopie
26-01-2006, 01:19
Rik, I done a bit of testing, It seems when you reach a certain upload for a certain time, the modem "resets" (This mainly occurs on torrents when you have many peers/seeds connected)

Network Access : EnabledMaximum
Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm100_ntl0002.cpr

Hmm, Looks like the filename changed again, the other day it said 0003, now says 0002 again, but blah

nj2112
26-01-2006, 07:13
Thanks Mr OC.

All seems well here this morning.

mcmanic
26-01-2006, 08:32
mine locked striaght away this morning a few mins ago downloading from newsgroup, have just reset modem.

was the update released last night after all?

---------- Post added at 08:32 ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 ----------

definitely not fixed yet, 20 mins into download and its just hung again forcing a reset.

So twice already this morning

swanny
26-01-2006, 09:48
3 times in the last half hour here.

120 CM on 10 Mb service.

JamShady
26-01-2006, 10:38
I don't wish to alarm anyone, but I'm having similar problems with my 250 which replaced my 120 yesterday. Nowhere near as bad as my 120, but sufficient to cut me off a couple of times during an Xbox gaming session (yes, it's definately the modem, not anything else).

It reconnects itself though, I've not needed to pull the wire out once yet, but simply by doing it it's causing me hassle. In the last day it's happened 5 or 6 times. I willing to accept that perhaps I got a duff one and maybe this post should be a separate topic on its own, but before I go down the route of complaining to ntl again I was just wondering if I was the only one experiencing this.

Rik
26-01-2006, 10:42
Rik, I done a bit of testing, It seems when you reach a certain upload for a certain time, the modem "resets" (This mainly occurs on torrents when you have many peers/seeds connected)

Hmm interesting!
You are right there, disconnects only happen when uploading.

Wonder why this is happening, gonna have to ring NTL today, this has been going on for too long now, might even have to discuss compensation, nearly 3 days without a usable connection :(

Can someone technical actually tell me what is happening and why? im a bit of a tekhead I can handle it :)
Is this purely a Firmware issue, there seems more to this problem than that?

jonze
26-01-2006, 12:09
I've called NTL support three times and they have fobbed me off every single time, they won't even replace my 120 modem. I'm getting extremely sick and tired of being treated this way by NTL. I've given up calling them now - if they do not rectify the problem soon I'm going to look at alternative ISPs.

:sleep:

monkey2468
26-01-2006, 12:22
:( Just did my first downloading in a while. Downloading from news server, got to 1.4Gb then modem stalled requiring modem reboot. It then continued downloading for 5 mins then rebooted itself. Was on 0003.cpr yesterday, now on 0002.cpr
ambit 120.
Shall see what its like over the next few hours.

Swoopie
26-01-2006, 12:45
Try this, (if your using a torrent) Put the upload speed to unlimited, and wait about 5 seconds (If i put my torrent to unlimited, My modem will reset within 5 seconds)

Or If im extracting a big file over ssh and I'm getting spammed by what file it's extracting, My modem will reset after that also...

Was just downloading a torrent @ 1mB/s, about 3-4 minutes later, My modem reset, I think it's something to do with the upstream..

Also got it yesterday while uploading a file to my website...

Rik
26-01-2006, 12:48
Well im gonna roll with it a little longer as the status page does have the info there and duration etc.

Thumbs up for that NTL :)

Definitely a Upstream problem, as ive been downloading from Usenet for the last 1hr at 1200kB/s without a glitch.

sjw
26-01-2006, 12:53
Interesting.... I was getting the disconnects all the time - was on the 003 firmware. I stopped downloading and just seeded for a whole day at over 50KB/s without a single disconnect. Then tried to download again and it went to about 550KB/s download for a few minutes and then hung.
The firmware was then reverted to 002 and downloads are back to what they were (upto about 600KB/s). Never near 1000 though.
If you unlimit your upload, your download speed will plummet.

Swoopie
26-01-2006, 13:02
yea, of course unlimiting your upload speed will effect your download speed, but while seeding, If you unlimit it, You'll notice your modem is more likely to reset, I tried leaving it at about 50~55kb and it doesn't tend to reset

phoenix__
26-01-2006, 13:05
If you unlimit your upload, your download speed will plummet.

This is not a specific issue with ntl, but more the way modems in general work. The modem has a buffer within it that it holds data in whilst it is being transmitted (either out over cable, or to your PC).

The bandwidth available for upload is in the region of KB/s, however your computer can pass data to the modem in the region of MB/s, so the buffer will get filled almost instantly. When download data arrives, the buffer is pretty full,so you don't get your maximum downstream rate.

Probably not explained perticularly well, but hopefully you get the idea.

mcmanic
26-01-2006, 14:41
well no news then?

sjw
26-01-2006, 16:14
This is not a specific issue with ntl, but more the way modems in general work. The modem has a buffer within it that it holds data in whilst it is being transmitted (either out over cable, or to your PC).etc.. I knew that.. It was just that somebody was saying about it being upload related and I tried to say it wasn't 'just' upload related. I always have it limited while downloading - to about 10-15KB/s but it still resets. however, at that speed, it downloads at way over 500KB/s and the upload speed is often only 1-2KB/s - it still crashed though. Simple downloads from servers etc. seemed to fly and don't seem to cause any crashes. People often suggest an upload limit of around 80% capacity but that 'generosity' leaves very little room for download and you will see significant improvements in d/l speed for each small lowering of u/l..
Anyway, like I said, it's all fine again now though.

deadite66
26-01-2006, 16:24
no lockups so far.

kq501
26-01-2006, 17:01
Can I ask any other members if there loss of service mainly happens when using bittorrent. I constantly lose connection whenever bittorrent activity increases i.e. a torrent with many seeds/peers. Is the Ambit 120 able to accept many connections at the one time. I have no problem with speeds while surfing or downloading with any other method. Downloading via IE gets me 1.25mb sec, zooms through downloads, via DC++ very high speeds also, but with torrents, as soon as the torrent picks up more connections the modem cuts out. Thats not to say speeds aren't great cos they can be, it just cant handle many connections. I've used torrents for ages and never had any problems while on NTL 2mb broadband. I don't think it's a coincidence that the connection cuts out while using this file sharing method. This happens with/without firewall, or all other obvious fixes.

I shared this with the group on page 9 of this thread. It's definitely to do with either the upload speed or too many connections. Torrents with lesser activity don't seem to be hampered.

Swoopie, how often do you get speeds of 1mb/s with torrents. The best I've ever hit was around 700kb/s, but normally i average about 400kb/s. What client do you use, and what are your general settings out of curiosity. I use uTorrent.

DieDieMyDarling
26-01-2006, 17:27
I've tried all sorts of downloads, since having this problem, and i can't see any pattern. I've tried using Newsgroups using fewer connections, more connections, limiting the speed, and i'm always prone to a reset. Sometimes i can download for an hour with no problems, others it happens after a few seconds, sometimes it's when i'm downloading and browsing at the same time, others it's just downloading or even just browsing (on 1 occasion).

I think as Ovenchips stated last night, the firmwares haven't been fully rolled back yet, and although it might be showing as that on our config pages, the truth is we still aren't using the 002 firmware. Hopefully it'll be back to normal soon.

kq501
26-01-2006, 17:34
but DieDie, i have been having similar problems ever since obtaining 10meg on xmas day. It has never been able to handle heavy activity with bittorrent. The recent problem with the firmware has only advertised and aggrevated the problem more.

And as I asked before, but to no avail, it would be interesting to see the amount of users who only have a problem with BITTORRENT and not those with general IE downloads, other P2P, etc...

I just cant seem to hold a connection when bittorrent activity increases.

I wonder where you would stand with CS if you complanied about this. In general I get excellent speeds, its only with the above probs that i get disconnected... FREQUENTLY.

mcmanic
26-01-2006, 17:48
same as you, right down to the last details, its so random but have expericenced all these problems as you have and is now becoming frustrating to say the least

I've tried all sorts of downloads, since having this problem, and i can't see any pattern. I've tried using Newsgroups using fewer connections, more connections, limiting the speed, and i'm always prone to a reset. Sometimes i can download for an hour with no problems, others it happens after a few seconds, sometimes it's when i'm downloading and browsing at the same time, others it's just downloading or even just browsing (on 1 occasion).

I think as Ovenchips stated last night, the firmwares haven't been fully rolled back yet, and although it might be showing as that on our config pages, the truth is we still aren't using the 002 firmware. Hopefully it'll be back to normal soon.

Rik
26-01-2006, 18:21
I wonder where you would stand with CS if you complanied about this.

Well we would be well within our rights to complain about this to CS even if it is Bit Torrent, there are plenty of Legal Linux Torrents around for instance.

Somethings a miss somewhere, and i believe youve hit the nail on the head, number of connections or a upstream problem.

Ive been downloading for a couple hours from newshosting usenet and there have been no disconnects, yet the moment i start my bit torrent client, the modem resets a few mins later, very very annoying to say the least.

The status page says the work in my area (Hemel Hempstead) is scheduled to end 27th Jan Midnight, so ill roll with it till then and see what happens.

recall2000
26-01-2006, 18:24
Firmware downgraded to 0002 overnight and still the same problems, possible worse, but that might just be solar flares or something :rolleyes:

Eventually got NTL to replace the modem. First thing the engineer said was "the incoming signal is too high and tripping the modem and to call if it happened again and he'd replace the modem"..he put an attenuator on the line...he'd only just driven away and it died. Then had to go through the hell of explaining the problem to CS again, and then had to wait on hold all in all for 45 minutes. Apparently they HAD to get the same engineer out, so it was more difficult than getting just any engineer to come back. 2 days later a different engineer came out anyway. And he concluded eventually that the modem needed replacing...but he didn't have one with him, so had to drive to go and get one...ffs, does no information get updated on any calls we log? Anyway the result: modem replaced with small blue modem (dunno model and cba to look). And not one single outage all day.

FINALLY!!! Only took 2 weeks, and several calls to NTL, and having to listen to them blaming my Linux firewall, even though I explained it did the same when I plugged the modem directly into PC. It must be the PC then they said.

Grrr....thank God that's over - and I'm an agnostic!

Swoopie
26-01-2006, 18:43
It's mainly torrents, Uploading + Many connections open (Don't forget normal torrent programs are also sending other packets to all the open (peers/seeds)ers every so often, updating what "pieces" you have etc) which can increase upload.

I experiance it with torrents + extracting over SSH

Magical
26-01-2006, 18:48
i have been have prob's with my 10meg line, every couple of hours it would go down. unplugging moden got it back. but after 4 days i phoned ntl and was told to ring back whenit went down 'cos they couldn't do anything while it was on. So Tuesday it went down i phoned ntl and was given the usual runaround
then being told my router was the problem ? . It is a new router i had it for 2 months before upgrade with no prob's before . So today it whent down again so i rang ntl again i got the same ruaround and told to unplug router and unplug modem which i did then he said he would do something his end . then i reconnected and he said i should have no further prob's . and my d/l speed on newsreader went up to 1560 kps. where before i was getting 750 kps. So i hope he was right and i have no further prob's

Oven Chips
26-01-2006, 18:57
I've been out since early this morning, and have just checked my e-mail. There are no notifications that the work last night did not proceed so until I can check tomorrow my default is that it went ahead.

I've also heard from a few people directly who have confirmed the problem has gone away, but can see that some still seem to have issues. I'll speak to someone with technical knowledge about this.

Peter

Paul
26-01-2006, 19:37
Anyway the result: modem replaced with small blue modem (dunno model and cba to look).That will be a 250 modem.

mcmanic
26-01-2006, 20:40
Not to get humpty over this but can people who are having problems and using torrent programs start their own thread cause constantly posting in this thread about uploads and the many connections causing similar problems when some are not using same modem models or using this firmware or even not on the 10meg connection and its just confusing the whole issue of bad firmware release.

To clarify Since the new ntlhm120_ntl0003.cpr firmware upgrade i and many others on NTLHOME 120 modems have had disconnects at RANDOM times and to this date it still isn't fixed. Yes there may be problems with Bittconnect people but from reading on here there always seems to be have been a problem even BEFORE this firmware and i've never had a problem with any P2P, ftp or newsgroups resulting in Modem resets on my NTLHOME 120 until this firmware 003 was issued last week.

Today i have manged to download 4gigs - modem had to be reset 6 times, if it wasn't for me working from home then the connection would have been useless to me if i had to leave the Pc and hope for the best.

Why am i paying £34.99 to be a test subject?.

kq501
26-01-2006, 22:29
Hi, 10meg was working fine, but the last few days it has been cutting out frequently with downloads, nearly every 5-10 mins.

Modem, 120

Glasgow

Will be calling CS to demand new modem or I'll be changing providers.

PAGE 7 of this thread.

mcmanic, who said I wasn't using same modem, connection, firmware.... I have every right to post in this thread, as the problem worsened with the release of the new firmware. In a hope to find a fix to this problem, I and others are offering alternative reasons to why we are ALL having troubles with 10 meg connection/120 modems. If bittorrent may be one of those problems surely it should be put forward, who is to say it is not an upload problem. Others in this thread have stated having no downloading/speed probs, but getting disconnected when uploading/mass connections.

We are all upset over this sham, but maybe a combination of ideas may get to the bottom of it. I don't see how members would be confused by a alternative view in this thread.

tfboy
27-01-2006, 00:11
Well, although my modem now says I'm on the 0002 firmware, it's still dieing after a certain amount of time.

For the record, I'm not using any P2P software. The majority of my bandwidth is used downloading over FTP. My upload bandwidth is virtually nil - only the odd email or file /photo I send over ftp.

In fact, I haven't uploaded anything since this problem started, apart from the random forum post ;)

Although, even though it's still locking up, and i've been put back on the 02 firmware, my ftp speeds are still around the 10Mb mark (currently about 1100kb/s).

That's my perspective / usage at the moment. :D But like some other people here, it's a big pain for me because my PC stays on at home downloading via FTP when I'm at work and no one's here to reset it, so I get probably a few hundred megs and then it dies till I come home in the evening to reset it.

I haven't tried phoning NTL yet - I was hoping this would get fixed on a global scale without requiring intervention on my behalf to solve my personal issue :(

mcmanic
27-01-2006, 07:36
well its Friday, put a 700meg nzb file into Grabit for download, 5 connections to newsgroup, 1 min into download at full 10meg speed and then modem froze requiring hard reset of modem AGAIN.

Still not fixed, although something has changed
which was before

anyway will leave it till Monday then shall go about getting a engineer called out to replace modem - unless we have some more news from MR Oven chips in the meantime

Rik
27-01-2006, 09:29
Well an update from myself.

Scrap the first reply!!

I thought it was fixed, modem has rebooted agained automatically :(

/me sighs

gripper103
27-01-2006, 10:02
Nice man from NTL has just turned up,5mins later I'm the proud owner of a shiny new blue 250 :)
Time to put it through its paces and see how we do.
Got it by ringing CS getting through to India where the operater told me how many times it had dropped in a month and arranged for the replacement:)

DieDieMyDarling
27-01-2006, 11:26
Just as a side note, for all those people having problems with torrents, you do know to set your upstream limit a lot lower than your maximum upstream, right?

For example on 10mb the upstream is roughly 60k, but your maximum allowable upstream in torrents (combined) should be about 20k (if you plan to get fast downloads) or around 50k (if you're only seeding). Otherwise your upstream will cause a bottle neck effect, and your modem will reset.

mcmanic
27-01-2006, 11:44
That is true, thats why i'm thinking its got nothing to do with uploads as i'm a newsgroup person and at full tilt my upstream is only 16/20k and all was fine before this firmware issue

paulj256
27-01-2006, 12:46
Im getting the exact same problems as everyone, but i am using one of the old USR CMX modems. Can any of the gurus say why im getting this problems as well. Have they secretly "updated" my firmware ?
I am only getting it when downloading, it may download for a few mins then stop for about 30secs / 1min and then spark up again. I dont normally need to power off the modem.
I can do without the hassle of trying to convince India to replace it !

kq501
27-01-2006, 14:14
Just as a side note, for all those people having problems with torrents, you do know to set your upstream limit a lot lower than your maximum upstream, right?

For example on 10mb the upstream is roughly 60k, but your maximum allowable upstream in torrents (combined) should be about 20k (if you plan to get fast downloads) or around 50k (if you're only seeding). Otherwise your upstream will cause a bottle neck effect, and your modem will reset.

These are the settings I use also. It doesn't stop the modem crashing though when upload speeds and connections pick up. Are these settings applicable to the 120 modems only, or would the 250 be able to handle higher settings?

Albie
27-01-2006, 14:59

Why would the connection be working ok for months with the same torrent settings then one day start causing problems? :confused:

Stop making excuses for NTL.

Rik
27-01-2006, 14:59
Uploading and Downloading at same time should not "RESET" a modem, if thats the case how come it hasnt happened for the last two months where ive been using Bit Torrent and indeed downloading from Newsgroups and uploading to my webspace at the same time?

That would not cause a modem to RESET im afraid.

Also my problems look like they are sorted :)
Im not gonna shout from rooftops yet, ill monitor the situation :)

DieDieMyDarling
27-01-2006, 15:13
My comment wasn't aimed at everyone, it was just because there seemed to be a few people having problems with upstream on BitTorrent, and sometimes people overlook the simplest of things.

There is definitely a problem at the moment, whether it be with the modem firmware, serverside problems, or whatever, but it does seem that there are a few people experiencing a different problem to the rest of us, if it's based around upstream.

As noted a few times in this thread, the main problem seems to be based around something other than upstream, as people using Newsgroups with minimal upstream are suffereng.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:11 ----------

Uploading and Downloading at same time should not "RESET" a modem, if thats the case how come it hasnt happened for the last two months where ive been using Bit Torrent and indeed downloading from Newsgroups and uploading to my webspace at the same time?

That would not cause a modem to RESET im afraid.

Also my problems look like they are sorted :)
Im not gonna shout from rooftops yet, ill monitor the situation :)

Not sure about a modem reset, but it would certainly cause connection cut outs, i know because i've suffered from it in the past, when i've forgot to change my upstream limitations in torrents, or ran 2 torrents at the same time, without lowering the setting for each one.

Chrysalis
27-01-2006, 15:21
I would put it down to pps max rate on the 120 not been very high probably on these newer firmwares, transferring data on p2p has a higher rate of pps then your bog standard http or ftp transfer,

mcmanic
27-01-2006, 16:03
yeah but what about now with the supposed rollback to 002 yet we are told its actually 003 but shows up as 002 on your cable congif until a 2nd update is issued ( supposed to be the other night) , did this actually happen, i think not otherwise i would be back to no disconnections and everyone happy.

Everything was fine until they decided to update the 120's to 003, personally i thing they borked them or we ain't back on the offical 002 yet.

tfboy
27-01-2006, 17:33
Well, it's died again and I've rung TS.
Of course, following NTL's advise whilst on hold, I rebooted the cable modem and of course it was working again.

After speaking to the TS chap, he ran some diagnostics and could only report it was running fine. I did mention the firmware change and he dismissed that (or didn't understand what I was on about).

The only thing the chap could suggest is to call them back once my connection has died because he can then formulate a report to pass on to an engineer.

Oh well, things never get sorted first time round. LOL

I probably only have to wait 30 mins or so before it dies again :D

deadite66
27-01-2006, 17:50
well no crashes for me, back to normal.
hehe shame i'm moving to adsl because of the packet-loss it get at peak time.

selene
27-01-2006, 18:48
Ovenchips:
Modem model - 120
MAC Address - 00:d0:59
Location - Dartford, Kent