PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Center Parcs?

Chris
17-01-2006, 14:45
We're off next week - booked it last minute in their January sale and got a two-room terraced apartment for £119. :D Of course, they're going to more than make up for that giveaway price with the on-site activities. I'm just totting up the cost of everything we thought we'd like to do and it's ..... erm .... steep :erm:

Still, we're going to have a great time. Has anyone been (especially to Oasis Whinfell Forest, the one at Penrith) and got any advice? We went to Oasis about five years ago but had no children then, so I think our experience is likely to be somewhat different this time.

Ramrod
17-01-2006, 15:03
Been to the Elvedon and Longleat ones loads of times. Try to eat in your villa as much as possible because the restaurants tend to me mediocre at best and rather pricey.......but unfortunatly the apartments don't have cooking facilities iirc.
I prefer getting a luxury villa for the en suite bathrooms and the sauna :tu:
I want to go again this year but Mandy wants to go to France.....

As for the steep price of the activities.......why bother doing them? Just go to the pools a lot! :D

ScaredWebWarrior
17-01-2006, 15:04
Still, we're going to have a great time. Has anyone been (especially to Oasis Whinfell Forest, the one at Penrith) and got any advice? My only experience is of one of the 'original' ones in Holland, and it was excellent.

If they've managed to get the format working over here to the same standard, then I expect you'll have a great time.

P.S. One of the main reasons they work is because kids love it. And if they are having a good time, you are having a good time.

homealone
17-01-2006, 15:07
we went to the Sherwood Forest one, quite a few years ago, now. Our son was about 12, at the time, so he was able to take part in activities like sailing.

We spent most of the time in & around the pool (as that was the only thing you didn't have to pay for).

The chalet was very comfortable & well appointed & the layout meant you could sit on the patio without being overlooked - although we did get harrassed by cygnets & squirrels ;)

We were impressed that cars are only allowed on site to unload & load luggage at the beginning & end of the stay.

Overall a very relaxed stay - the only downside being the cost ;)

Chris
17-01-2006, 15:13
Lovely, as I'd hoped. Did anyone have breakfast out at one of the restaurants, or pay for the weekly breakfast pass? I'm sorely tempted but it aint cheap.

The only thing we're having difficulty with though, is going for a holiday in a wooden cottage by the side of a lake.... ;) :spin: :D

Nidge
17-01-2006, 19:57
We have Centre Parcs round here, we used to do the contract for them when I was on the Taxis. I can only speak for the one down here, it looks ok and all the people we pick up from there have had a great time, I suppose it's the same all over the country with them

Paul
17-01-2006, 20:13
We plan to try one next year for a short break, so I am interested in any comments as well. :)

Scarlett
17-01-2006, 20:23
We've been several times to Sherwood once and mainly elvedon (and looking forward to the Bedford one)

We've only stayed in the villas but the cooking faculties are limited if you've got 5 adults, we ate out most nights (but then since 3 of us regularly cook it was a nice break) The restaurants are what you make of them, the Elveden ones are okay and we did spend over £100 between us all on the last night in the American themed diner* and enjoyed it immensely.

Get bikes, unless you only intend to sit by the pool**, the country clubs tend to be out from the centre and you can also explore the site if you want to without much effort.

As for the cost of the activities, I suggest that you look at what you want to do and then see what they charge locally... We found that generally, it wasn't too much more (if at all) at centre parcs for the stuff. (I can seriously recommend the field archery if the offer it, you shot at targets whilst walking around the forest.)

Also the Aqua sauna can be a good use of a day, either a day pass or a one off visit, I went for a massage last time on pretty much the first day. Great relaxation for the rest of the holiday.

On the last day, get your stuff cleared early and get on relatively early. It gives you more chance that you can get a parking space near the main village and spend the rest of the day in the pool with a short walk to the car afterwards.

I have to say we're going to miss our usual centre parks dose this year as we're going to Cornwall for a week, on the other hand Eden project, Tintagel castle (for the wife), Bude (for me, where I spent many holidays as a kid)

Scarlett.

*okay, it was all we could do to waddle home afterwards but that'll teach us to order starters as well

** you'll notice that the pool population drops off around 5-6pm as well so you can get an hour or so of stress free*** activity by delaying your dinner.

*** i.e. flumes not full of gangs of teenagers.

scrotnig
17-01-2006, 21:16
I've been to Oasis last year, and also Sherwood and Elveden in recent years.

They are completely brilliant - not cheap, but make the most of the fantastic swimming pool, it's free as often and as long as you want.

There are great restaurants too....Rajinder Pradesh is awesome, but you often need to reserve a space there.

Hire bicycles...they are cheap and you'll need them to get around. You can only take your car on site on arrival and departure, other than that it'll be in the car park which will be nowehere near your villa, which will in turn be nowhere near the village centre.

snodvan
17-01-2006, 21:45
Yes, been to Whinfell and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Agree you should hire bikes BUT - take your own bike lock(s)

Wellies or easy-clean shoes/ boots are a good idea because some of the quickest ways around are through the wooded areas and messy underfoot.

Wife loved the abseiling

Have fun

Ramrod
17-01-2006, 21:46
You don't really need bikes at Elveden because it's not really that big. Longleat is really big and spread out and rather hilly in parts so cycling is difficult but they have a regular land train service.
The supermarkets don't hike their prices up either but dragging the groceries back to your villa can be a drag....

nffc
17-01-2006, 23:26
Been to a few in Holland but the English ones tend to attract the chavvier clientelle. That said Sherwood's about 1/2 hr from us and the other ones aren't places I'd want to go. The prices are usually high in the shop (we used the supermarket) and the restaurants. Can get away with it cos people use it. Facilities are good, normally we end up with a lake view which is nice. And to say they cram in so many chalets into such a small space you do get some semblance of uniqueness when out on the patio though you've not far to go to get to another they're arranged nicely.

Rather spacious too, again I think that's an illusion, even the last one we went to was relatively small but took a while to cycle round. That said they probably are- have walked round some of the perimeter outside the Sherwood one and it's huuuuge.

As I said, I'm going on experience of the Dutch ones, dunno about ours.

homealone
17-01-2006, 23:52
I don't know if they are the same now, but the outdoor flumes were fairly rough concrete, when we were there - anyone going down more than a couple of times was in danger of wearing away anything other than a kevlar impregnated swimsuit ;)

SMHarman
18-01-2006, 00:59
The only thing we're having difficulty with though, is going for a holiday in a wooden cottage by the side of a lake.... ;) :spin: :DIs'n that a bit of a busmans holiday?

marky
18-01-2006, 01:08
What a review, i think i'll get a broshour :D

Chris
18-01-2006, 09:53
Is'n that a bit of a busmans holiday?

Exactly ... by rights we should take our holidays in a brick-built semi somewhere in Preston. :D Still, we're looking forward to the gas central heating. :spin: