PDA

View Full Version : Network traffic

uno
15-01-2006, 04:00
A recent chat with a mate has got me thinking does anybody how much stress Voip and streaming internet television puts on the network ? Is it as bad as p2p applications. I know somebody told me that voip used about 1.8meg a min each way how true that is im not sure also when I have watched internet tv its ate the bandwith i remember watching a tv programme and i used 2.4gig in a hour so i suppose it depends what rate its broadcast at

MR_CLARK
15-01-2006, 10:33
Just did a uni assignment on this.

VoIP (G.711 encoding - highest one) runs at 64kbit/sec, plus overheads means it could be around 100kbps, any broadband service is more than enough to handle this.

G.723.1 and G.729 use a lot less, around 6.5kbit/sec and 8kbit/sec respectivly.

Chrysalis
15-01-2006, 18:48
when bbc and sky launch their p2p I feel ntl and of course telewest are going to have real problems since they weak in upstream, this will be evident in areas such as mine that are already rife with student/p2p traffic.

Ignition
15-01-2006, 19:01
when bbc and sky launch their p2p I feel ntl and of course telewest are going to have real problems since they weak in upstream, this will be evident in areas such as mine that are already rife with student/p2p traffic.

Meh perhaps BBC / Sky should pay ISPs for allowing their traffic to be carried.

Very very very tricky one indeed this in so many ways. I'd also say that a lot of ISPs will struggle in a lot of ways.

These things can be averted somewhat though through clever use of shaping and caching, that'll probably be the way ntl go. As they are taking over Telewest I presume that the people in Telewest who'd rather let areas congest than restrict in any way the people who are ripping the **** out of the bandwidth there or even cache / traffic shape problematic protocols won't be ble to argue with that kind of approach.

It's not all doom and gloom ;) Hopefully the protocols won't be encypted, etc, else we'll end up with all traffic that the kit can't say is definitely NOT P2P being classified :s

uno
15-01-2006, 21:23
Yes it looks like it is going to be interesting to see how the cable networks cope with thse new things maybe traffic shaping is possible i read a report saying voip use is set to rise 48% this year so i imagine a good number using Ntl I've got the freetalk option which my family use for over 4hours a day speaking to different people just a bit of lag when downloading large stuff or streaming tv quality goes a bit then

Ignition
16-01-2006, 08:02
Yes it looks like it is going to be interesting to see how the cable networks cope with thse new things maybe traffic shaping is possible i read a report saying voip use is set to rise 48% this year so i imagine a good number using Ntl I've got the freetalk option which my family use for over 4hours a day speaking to different people just a bit of lag when downloading large stuff or streaming tv quality goes a bit then

If they have sense they'll develop their own VoIP options which they can nail up bandwidth for, so that they can offer a better QoS than competitor services.

For the curious, http://www.packetcable.com/