PDA

View Full Version : Ambit 120 restarting under load...NTL CS fobs us off

MR_CLARK
14-01-2006, 17:59
Hi there, first post, so hello to all...

Anyway, i did see a thread here regarding the 100 and 120 cable modems restarting when using bittorrent. It seems most got NTL to replace their modems.

Well i'm on the 10meg services and recently (past month odd) the modem will just restart (lights off, knightrider swinging linghts when rebooting) when put under load. It's shared via a router, so as more people use it, the more likley it is to restart. It seems ok if it's just got a few connections going on, but as soon as its loaded it will restart.

It doesn't have to be Peer-peer either, its restarted with just a few normal ftp downloads and internet radio before. It still does it if connected directly to it, although less often. It's quite random when it does.

Anyway, being in contact with NTL, about 4 times so far, once to india for 30 odd mins while she wasted my time with netstats and download tests. No matter how many times i've said it randomly restarts, they wouldn't listen and refuse to admit theres a problem.

I mean i sat there and watched it restart whilst on the phone to them, and they still said "sorry sir, theres no problem that we can see here, so not going to send an engineer out".

Truly am fed up now, we managed to get them to say an engineer was going to come out, but he rang up my housemate and said it's all ok now, there was a power failure a few streets away... funny that, must be a pretty long power failure to last over a month!

Just wondering if anyone in the know can recommend anything? i think we will switch to bulldog 8meg ADSL if NTL don't bother replacing the faulty hardware, seems unfair other people have had the cruddy 120's replaced fairly easy :erm:

Anyhow, cheers.
Rich.

daz300
14-01-2006, 18:47
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
how many pc are you using on the router ?at one time .some who can help you more will come along . and welcome to the forum and hope we can help you . daz300

elstcb
19-01-2006, 03:28
I have exactly the same problem (since sometime in December - normally at night which is when we use the connection most, e.g. playing cod2) one of the other threads http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=41482 was talking about firmware upgrades although these might just be for 10mb users (I'm on 2mb). I can't access my modem at the moment, 192.168.100.1 is just timing out (probably a NAT issue), I therefore can't check it out but it might be something worth looking at.

With it being so random I haven't bothered phoning CS yet, I'm guessing they wouldn't be much help and would probably tell me to reboot the modem... problem solved right? I was originally thinking it was the connection and was thinking about going to 10mb, if it's the modem then that will probably make it worse.

Paul
19-01-2006, 04:20
The firmware upgrades were purely for the 10meg upgrades, so you won't have got one on the 2meg service.

sharpygreen
19-01-2006, 08:29
just tell mrs india the status light is flashing your get a engineer booked