PDA

View Full Version : Can I really not get Telewest broadband?

Tommo
13-01-2006, 20:38
Hi,
I live in a semi. According to Telewest, the house next door can get broadband, but I am in an analog area! The problem is that my box in the road is bunged up and needs the road digging up to free it. I think Telewest think it is too much trouble to do. On the boundary between our houses is the box for next door. They have no interest in using it. Even if they did, the guy who laid the cable told me that it is possible to share the connection box with no degrading of service. Is there anything I can do to either force Telewest to clear my box or to connect me to next door's?

Thanks in advance.

Tommo

Wod
13-01-2006, 20:45
If nxt door can get it than you should be able to! :S

MovedGoalPosts
13-01-2006, 20:47
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

Unfortunately if Telewest don't want to install there is little that can be done to force their hand. Someone's probably looked at the cost of doing the work needed, compared to the income they'll get from you and said it's not worth it. Life sucks :(

Regarding the next door box, regardless of whether the service could be split, for you to receive cable via next door requires an easement (legal right) to be granted by your neighbour for the cable to pass through his land. That's just too much aggravation. Without the easement, Telewest would be tresspassing, and you would be complicit in that civil misdemeanour.

Tommo
13-01-2006, 22:18
Thanks a lot for this, it's very helpful. Next door's box is on the road directly in line with the border fence, so there is no question of trespass. I think I'll try and get Telewest to say why the service can't be split.

Neil
13-01-2006, 22:22
**Moved to Telewest Installation forum**

thelem
15-01-2006, 02:09
Although it is infront of your property, all the cables out it the box will need to run through the conduits that are under the pavement. However, I think what you are saying is very unlikely, because:
1. If the conduit pipe is 'bunged up', then how are they able to provide an analogue service
2. Why would they have a network layout which had you using a box hundreds of meters from your property instead of one that was right outside?

My guesses as to the real situation:
1. Both you and your neighbour are in an analogue area. Your neighbour may have broadband through their BT phoneline (this could be provided by ntl)
2. You are in a digital area, but the records do not show this. See if you can speak to a manager on the phone at telewest and arrange a site survey. Other customers have successfully managed this in the past.
3. You cannot get any cable service at all due to problems with the pipework. Again, try the site survey option.