PDA

View Full Version : Sports you watch?

Jerrek
11-11-2003, 06:58
What is your favorite sport to watch with friends and drink beer? What do you put on the widescreen tv when you and your buddies drink? (sport! not movies!)

I am stuck with pretty much one thing: hockey. NHL (Maple Leaf supporter [yeah yeah yeah, I know, Hailey's Comet comes around more often than the Stanley Cup, but who cares...]) or Team Canada (I think the big rinks are a little too big... not enough physical action.)

Football, eh. Don't really appreciate it. Never got into this whole guy-on-guy-on-the-grass thing. Basketball is a little better than golf, but not too much. Baseball is a good second option if hockey ain't available. And I don't don't don't watch curling!!!!

homealone
11-11-2003, 07:36
Rugby the main one at the moment.

Surprised you didn't mention motor racing - out of season atm, but I enjoy Formula 1 & whatever CART calls itself these days.

Chimaera
11-11-2003, 08:17
Rugby (not just the World Cup!), Formula 1, Football (mainly internationals), WRC.
(I battled to get Sky Sports in an all female household - and won! :D )

Lew
11-11-2003, 09:36
Usually American football or baseball. Unfortunately Sky Sports and Channel 5 haven't started using the widescreen broadcasts of these games yet.

iadom
11-11-2003, 10:05
Football, esp Man U. Cricket (all forms, but Tests are best), Rugby, both codes. all Motor Sports, Tennis, Golf, and some Athletics.

Chris
11-11-2003, 10:35
Can I be the first person to make the inevitable point that what Americans call Basketball and Baseball, we call netball and rounders, and are played by little girls at school. ;) American 'football' meanwhile, is glorified Rugby, which elsewhere in the world is played by men without the aid of helmets and heavy padding. :D

Seriously tho', I quite like to watch a game of football if I'm in front of a TV on my own, but I don't seem to get anything out of the whole male bonding with beer in front of the big game thing.

gary_580
11-11-2003, 10:45
What is your favorite sport to watch with friends and drink beer? What do you put on the widescreen tv when you and your buddies drink? (sport! not movies!)

I am stuck with pretty much one thing: hockey. NHL (Maple Leaf supporter [yeah yeah yeah, I know, Hailey's Comet comes around more often than the Stanley Cup, but who cares...]) or Team Canada (I think the big rinks are a little too big... not enough physical action.)

Football, eh. Don't really appreciate it. Never got into this whole guy-on-guy-on-the-grass thing. Basketball is a little better than golf, but not too much. Baseball is a good second option if hockey ain't available. And I don't don't don't watch curling!!!!

Leafs fan here as well (First NHL team i saw live). Also follow the Yankees and the Nascar. NASN definately the best value channel on cable!!

gary_580
11-11-2003, 10:47
Can I be the first person to make the inevitable point that what Americans call Basketball and Baseball, we call netball and rounders, and are played by little girls at school. ;) American 'football' meanwhile, is glorified Rugby, which elsewhere in the world is played by men without the aid of helmets and heavy padding. :D

Seriously tho', I quite like to watch a game of football if I'm in front of a TV on my own, but I don't seem to get anything out of the whole male bonding with beer in front of the big game thing.

oohhhhh Towny dont go there!!! You should try going to a baseball game, or just sit and watch a few games. You will quickley realise its not rounders. Must admit i dont care for basketball

Chris
11-11-2003, 11:07
oohhhhh Towny dont go there!!! You should try going to a baseball game, or just sit and watch a few games. You will quickley realise its not rounders. Must admit i dont care for basketball
teehee ... I know, I just like winding up our American friends. Does that make me a troll? ;) :angel:

Bex
11-11-2003, 11:34
is it just me or is towny being incredibly sarccy at the moment? :erm: towny behave :p

right the only sport i watching willingly is rugby.......not keen on other sports....watched tennis under duress...and motorcar racing thingy

Chris
11-11-2003, 12:21
is it just me or is towny being incredibly sarccy at the moment? :erm: towny behave :p

who me? :angel:

Bex
11-11-2003, 12:33
who me? :angel:
yes u seem very sarccy and jokey recently..........which means ur either incredibly happy or ur in a bad mood....trying to work out which...knowing you probably the former........either that or your on the :beer: :p

Escapee
11-11-2003, 12:36
Boxing!

Only sport I watch.

Chris
11-11-2003, 12:46
yes u seem very sarccy and jokey recently..........which means ur either incredibly happy or ur in a bad mood....trying to work out which...knowing you probably the former........either that or your on the :beer: :p
Mrs towny keeps asking me why I'm so happy lately. I can't think what's changed, I've definitely not been in the drinks cabinet :angel: Maybe it's 'cos we've started talking about moving away from hemel and back closer to family ... it kind of feels like we've been in exile for the last 4 years.

The other thing is, I've been around nthellworld .com/.co.uk for almost a year now and I feel like I know you all (despite missing out on two meet-ups :( ). Time to relax a bit and have some fun!

Sorry, that was waaaaaay off topic...

Bex
11-11-2003, 12:51
Mrs towny keeps asking me why I'm so happy lately. I can't think what's changed, I've definitely not been in the drinks cabinet :angel: Maybe it's 'cos we've started talking about moving away from hemel and back closer to family ... it kind of feels like we've been in exile for the last 4 years.

The other thing is, I've been around nthellworld .com/.co.uk for almost a year now and I feel like I know you all (despite missing out on two meet-ups :( ). Time to relax a bit and have some fun!

:LOL: glad your happy huni.......
and we feel like we know you too :p
well im planning a get together (local) in london next month :p

i'm being told off and told to behave too....so back on topic now :p

edit: i stick my tongue out way too much.....gonna get me in trouble one day ;)

gazzae
11-11-2003, 13:20
Football, Rugby (both codes), American Football, Ice Hockey, F1, Rallying, NASCAR, Superbikes, Pool, Snooker

Paul
11-11-2003, 14:39
Football (not the US version).
I tried to watch baseball once but got completely confused by it.

Chimaera
11-11-2003, 15:06
:LOL: glad your happy huni.......
and we feel like we know you too :p
well im planning a get together (local) in london next month :p

i'm being told off and told to behave too....so back on topic now :p

edit: i stick my tongue out way too much.....gonna get me in trouble one day ;)
London meet bexy??

Is that a stay in hotel type meet or a drop in go home type meet?

Either way there will be plenty of spectator sport (going by the last two!!) :D

Chris
11-11-2003, 15:18
London meet bexy??

Either way, myself, Mrs Towny and Little Towny would prolly make a day out of it and then drop in for a couple of hours in the afternoon, unless it was close enough for me to pop over myself for an evening :)

orangebird
11-11-2003, 15:44
Darts
Tennis
Rugby
Football
Athletics

I would watch more american sports, but the commentators get on my nerves.....

Bex
11-11-2003, 16:26
London meet bexy??

:notopic: but anyone who wants to meet up in december time, pm...i am organising the down south one...so surrey/london/reading sort of areas...

spectator sports....nothing happened :P

iadom
11-11-2003, 16:36
Darts
That's a pub game played by 20 stone, beer swilling, lumps of lard, it's in no way a sport.;)

Bex
11-11-2003, 16:43
That's a pub game played by 20 stone, beer swilling, lumps of lard, it's in no way a sport.;)
:geez: :spin: do hope you are joking :eek::p

iadom
11-11-2003, 17:01
:geez: :spin: do hope you are joking :eek::pOnly a little, I'm quite scared of OB, so i'm of to hide.:walk: :Peaceman:

orangebird
11-11-2003, 17:02

Oi! It's competitive, with hand to eye co-ordination, and takes lots of practice - what more do you want?? ;) :p

iadom
11-11-2003, 17:12
Oi! It's competitive, with hand to eye co-ordination, and takes lots of practice - what more do you want?? ;) :pYes I must admit that getting the glass to the mouth without spilling a drop, whilst holding three darts does take a good deal of practice and dedication.:beer: :rolleyes: ;)

orangebird
11-11-2003, 17:17
Yes I must admit that getting the glass to the mouth without spilling a drop, whilst holding three darts does take a good deal of practice and dedication.:beer: :rolleyes: ;)

:LOL: True....

No need to be scared, I'm a pushover really... :angel: ;)

Atomic22
11-11-2003, 18:30

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

netball and rounders lmfao......and in the girly version of rugby where they dress up in plastic to look macho they only play half a game and the other half they are on the bench whilst the other half of the team play.....oh and they throw the ball forwards so they dont have to run much or get tackled.....aarh poor dears

Theodoric
11-11-2003, 18:34

I can claim to have watched ice hockey in Canada whilst drinking beer. Strangely enough I have never felt the need to repeat this. Ok, I'll give the drinking beer a repeat performance. :)

Theodoric
11-11-2003, 18:39

netball and rounders lmfao......and in the girly version of rugby where they dress up in plastic to look macho they only play half a game and the other half they are on the bench whilst the other half of the team play.....oh and they throw the ball forwards so they dont have to run much or get tackled.....aarh poor dears
To quote Oscar:
'Rugby is a game for barbarians played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen played by barbarians.'

EDIT: And, to quote Rudyard Kipling (I think): "Muddied oafs and flanneled fools."

iadom
11-11-2003, 18:41
Or, Rugby is a game for men, with funny shaped balls,:D

Atomic22
11-11-2003, 18:46
Yes I must admit that getting the glass to the mouth without spilling a drop, whilst holding three darts does take a good deal of practice and dedication.:beer: :rolleyes: ;)

yup darts is definately a pub game and not a sport......snooker is also a pub game.......also you cant really call a game where you stroll around at a leisurely pace and have someone to carry your clubs and dress like rupert the bear a sport so i guess golfs girly as well
:PP:

Undisputedtruth
11-11-2003, 20:15
I like all sports that is played with a round ball. Odd shaped balls for odd men. Therefore Rugby and American Football out and badminton for the pansies. I prefer not to watch sports as it is more fun to play them. Though Snooker, Pool or darts are not serious sports, they are fun to play.

iadom
11-11-2003, 21:10
I prefer not to watch sports as it is more fun to play themQuite agree there UDT. Even in my dotage ( the wrong side of 50) I still play squash 3 to 4 times a week. I think that Man United in a European Cup Final or England FA in the World Cup Final would be the only things that I would miss a game for.

Dude111
04-08-2018, 06:56
Can I be the first person to make the inevitable point that what Americans call Basketball and Baseball, we call netball and rounders, and are played by little girls at school. ;) American 'football' meanwhile, is glorified Rugby, which elsewhere in the world is played by men without the aid of helmets and heavy padding. :DIndeed Chris..... I think what you guys call them IS BETTER!!

I used to watch alot of Sport until I found out they get PAID!!!

All along I thought it was like a hobby and they did it for fun..... When I found out they only do it for $$$$$$ I lost respect.....

I used to love Rounders and some rugby (Football) and hockey.... (I love hockey) it just doesnt seem the same to me knowing they are getting $$$$$$$$ to do this...... (It would mean more if they really wanted to do it (Not getting paid))

Football (not the US version).Ya I think the UK version is nicer also....

adzii_nufc
04-08-2018, 08:05
Only 14 years.

Its not like there's a whole board for sports now rather than a generic thread.

You expect sports starts to committ to 6 days a week of their sports profession and still somehow work a separate job to create income? You're entirely aware that being a Footballer, Rugby, Basketball or any major sports star generally is a full time job? Footballers for example committ to 9-5 training 5 days a week as well as a typical weekend match.

I highly doubt sports stars spend years of their life becoming the best 1% of the world in their sports just for money. It doesn't work like that. You have to be elite to make it.

The amount they're paid is debatable but at the end of the day it's a ~15 year career with little prospect at the end of it for most and they're paying massive amounts of tax on a weekly basis.

There's plenty of sports stars past and present that clearly love their professions too so that argument is void.

Dude111
04-08-2018, 17:49
Ya you have a point there....... I guess I just thought it was for fun...

Kursk
04-08-2018, 18:08
I like to watch winners (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706635) :D.

Stuart
06-08-2018, 14:34

Eee.. The old days, when we had Bexy et al, and you had the forum name "towny".

Chris
06-08-2018, 14:53
Eee.. The old days, when we had Bexy et al, and you had the forum name "towny".

And we had Jerrek and his guns, and Undisputedtruth foaming at the mouth about “NTL mobs” ... them were the days.

I was right though, towny was very happy at the prospect of moving out of Hemel Hempstead, a feat we achieved precisely 12 months after posting about it in this thread, which was ALMOST 15 YEARS AGO. We’ve had some thread :bump: in this forum from time to time but this one might be the all-time record.

Dude111, you must be immensely bored.

iadom
06-08-2018, 22:47
Quite agree there UDT. Even in my dotage ( the wrong side of 50) I still play squash 3 to 4 times a week. .

Good grief, a real blast from the past with many of the original posters inactive or sadly no longer with us. :(

Me, I’m now the wrong side 70 (only just ) and am now down to playing squash or the occasional game of racketball 2 or 3 times a week.

Now recently retired I have a season ticket/ membership for both Old Traffords. No substitute for watching live IMHO.

Young Jim.:cool:

Dude111
07-08-2018, 00:23
Dude111, you must be immensely bored.Thank you mate for your kind words...... I like to scan the bases for good threads to reply to :)

Hugh
03-02-2019, 21:41
Anybody watching this tonight?

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=27729&d=1549230049

The Superb owl

denphone
04-02-2019, 08:04
l was just getting ready for bed so you can count me out.;)

tweetiepooh
05-02-2019, 10:57
I enjoy watching Rugby Union - nice fast open games, if it gets too bogged down in the forwards I get bored.
AFL - Aussie rules. Hey what can I say. It's gone a bit soft since they ruled out weapons :P
Archery - it's the sport I participate in and so I can watch it. Unfortunately most coverage is target and there are so many other variations that would be nice to see. Forms of field, clout, flight, wand.
I do like cricket sometimes.

I do not like soccer, rugby league or the US sports where they play games and call the tournament "world" something with only the US playing. Most US sport seems to be padding around adverts.

Any event where the intent is to injure/incapacitate someone else should be banned. So judo, karate etc where you get points for "strikes" are OK but others like boxing (professional certainly) are mostly not.

iadom
05-02-2019, 11:45
Soccer.:rolleyes: Football for heavens sake.:)

Do you substitute the archery with Darts then.:D

tweetiepooh
06-02-2019, 11:47
Etymologically I believe we used the term soccer until the US started then we switched to Football.

Darts is dull (to me) so no I wouldn't substitute it. You can have archery darts, even have dart player vs archer. There are some rules to make things equitable.

iadom
06-02-2019, 13:02
Not strictly true, whilst Rugger was a shortened name for rugby football and soccer was a shortened version of aSSOCiation football and was first used in the 1880's mainly by UK college types who like to stick an ER on the end of anything, hence Johnners, Aggers, Blowers etc.

We generally always used the term football well before the USA started to shorten gridiron football to simply football.

So whilst the term did originate in the UK is was only ever really a nickname, we didn't switch to football because of the American usage of the word soccer. ;)

tweetiepooh
07-02-2019, 09:26
Thanks for the detail.

Still seems to make some sense to use Soccer as an unambiguous term for association football and let the colonies use Football for their games. Even though there is more "foot" in soccer than the others.

Why is it a touch down in gridiron when they rarely touch the ball down. Probably history - I'll have to look it up.

Russ
07-02-2019, 14:22
Pro wrestling - still a competitive sport but likely not in the way most people would define it.

Hugh
07-02-2019, 15:57
Thanks for the detail.

Still seems to make some sense to use Soccer as an unambiguous term for association football and let the colonies use Football for their games. Even though there is more "foot" in soccer than the others.

Why is it a touch down in gridiron when they rarely touch the ball down. Probably history - I'll have to look it up.Would have to disagree with you - American Football (hand-egg, really) is played professionally in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, whilst football is played professionally in most countries in the world - I think we have dibs on the word...

traceyjedison
25-11-2019, 14:16
Volleyball and football...

tweetiepooh
26-11-2019, 11:45
Would have to disagree with you - American Football (hand-egg, really) is played professionally in the USA, Mexico, and Canada, whilst football is played professionally in most countries in the world - I think we have dibs on the word...

Don't forget Gaelic, Australian rules, 2 forms of Rugby and likely a whole host of other games using the the term "football".

denphone
26-11-2019, 11:50
Don't forget Gaelic, Australian rules, 2 forms of Rugby and likely a whole host of other games using the the term "football".

Here's a few more forms of football that are played around the world tweetiepooh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_football

https://www.goalprofits.com/different-types-of-football/