PDA

View Full Version : Evolution

Hom3r
13-01-2006, 00:00
I saw a program about this the other week and it had me thinking, did we evolve here. I'm not sure and heres why.

1. We cannot tollerate our sun, either buy looking at it, nor being in it unprotected (ok I mean hot areas), where most animals can.

2. When earthquakes/volcanic eruption are going to happen wildlife 'knows' and where possible moves away from the area.

3. The missing link.

Damien
13-01-2006, 00:08
Its quite normal for different animals to have different abilitys. We have always had weaker strengths is some aspects of nature. On the other hand we are far more succesful in keep yourselfs alive than animals. We can detect earthquakes and repair damage afterwards.

We can make sunglasses, sun cream and so on. Our minds are what has set us apart and enabled us to overcome many of our flaws

Enuff
13-01-2006, 00:08
chicken and the egg... I find it imposible to work out :spin:

marky
13-01-2006, 00:15
We migrated to the warmer places, thats why the american indians moved all the time, to get out of the way of the nasty weather :)

BBKing
13-01-2006, 08:19
Can moles* look directly at the sun? It all depends what you evolved for, if there was an evolutionary advantage in looking at the sun (because there's a predator/food/mate there) then you'd expect it to have evolved. Instead we have eyes and brain tuned to detect peripheral movement and symmetry, which suggests that our predators and prey were generally at our own level, which seems reasonable. It's a while since humans needed to worry about aerial attack, after all, except in areas where the USAF are operating.

African plains tribes and Aboriginal Australians wander around without a lot on in the sun without much happening. They know how to live there and are acclimatised. If there are areas that humans aren't suited for it's cold climates where more hair would be useful. We still go skiiing though.

If all animals knew when earthquakes/volcanoes were going to happen you wouldn't get Kentucky Fried Squirrel in the area afterwards. They may be sensitive to things we aren't, but we compensate with bigger brains that can process the information we get better. I think we got the better deal.

There's also the sharing of 98% of DNA with chimps and about 60% with trees and things. We evolved on earth, end of.

* The ones with eyes, not the ones with covered eyes

ScaredWebWarrior
13-01-2006, 08:41
1. We cannot tollerate our sun, either buy looking at it, nor being in it unprotected (ok I mean hot areas), where most animals can.As far as I know there is no animal (human or otherwise) that has seeing eyes that will not get damaged by direct sunlight. But if the sun was dim enough to be looked at directly, be assured that there would be no life on Earth.

As for lacking natural protection from the sun, that is only true for the pale people of the north. So even among humans there are variations in evolution that seem designed for their environment.
2. When earthquakes/volcanic eruption are going to happen wildlife 'knows' and where possible moves away from the area.They don't 'know', they just sense that 'something' is going to happen, and do the only thing animals know to do when they sense danger - run.

Humans can also detect danger, though they are not as adept, since they've long since escaped from being entirely controlled by their environment. Go into a forest at night, and you'll soon be reminded of those senses - that uncomfortable feeling of not knowing what is out there is part of those senses we once relied on, just as the animals do.

For myself, I can 'smell' rain coming, usually at least more than an hour before it arrives. And that's nothing to do with hearing the forecast on radio/tv, because I've 'known' all my life - even when on a camping holiday, well away from any weather info.
3. The missing link.Are you volunteering?

Missing link between what? I don't need a link between us an apes to accept evolution. The timescale over which evolution works is so immense, it is highly unlikely that we could trace our ancestry in a simple scientific manner. And it is therefore unlikely that we will ever build up a full 'family tree' of life on Earth and how it relates to each other.

On the face of it, we would seem to share very little in common with fish & insects. But if you think about it, we all need air & water to survive. So it is not inconceivable that life began in water - it seems the most logical. You have your primordial soup and then something happens. The origin of life on Earth.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Or evolution, in this case.

basa
13-01-2006, 10:44
Can moles* look directly at the sun? It all depends what you evolved for, if there was an evolutionary advantage in looking at the sun (because there's a predator/food/mate there) then you'd expect it to have evolved. Instead we have eyes and brain tuned to detect peripheral movement and symmetry, which suggests that our predators and prey were generally at our own level, which seems reasonable. It's a while since humans needed to worry about aerial attack, after all, except in areas where the USAF are operating.

I live nearly under the flight path to Manchester Airport. When I walk my dog it is obvious from her ears she can hear the overflying aircraft, but not once has she ever looked up to see where the noise was coming from !! Animals never look to the sky and consequently never need wear sunglasses ! :D

BBKing
13-01-2006, 12:12
My sister used to go riding at a stables under the Honington flight path - the horses were completely tolerant of Tornado bombers screaming over at nought feet, but would occasionally shy sideways or bolt at something like a carrier bag flapping in a hedge. The former is not in their evolved threat list - the latter could be a lion hiding there. Legging it is better than ignoring it and being eaten. Large mammals are generally interested in what's at their own level. Small mammals have a lot more to fear about being attacked from above (by owls and things).

Herbivores like horses and things would find it rather difficult to look at the sun even if they wanted to - it's much more important to have a wide field of view at your own level, hence the eyes on the side of the head, and the way the neck is set up makes it hard to twist your head so you're actually pointing upwards. In that sense humans are *better* equipped to look at the sun, since our eyes are at the front, because we evolved to hunt and examine things.

Chris
13-01-2006, 12:16
Moved to the Lifestyle forum.

Xaccers
13-01-2006, 12:24
I live nearly under the flight path to Manchester Airport. When I walk my dog it is obvious from her ears she can hear the overflying aircraft, but not once has she ever looked up to see where the noise was coming from !! Animals never look to the sky and consequently never need wear sunglasses ! :D

Can dogs look up though? :)

danielf
13-01-2006, 12:28

Seeing how apt (and keen) they are at fetching sticks/balls/frisbees etc, I'd think so.

ZrByte
13-01-2006, 12:39

Depends on the breed ;)

ScaredWebWarrior
13-01-2006, 12:44
Can dogs look up though? :)They can, but only to a limited degree (with a 4 legs on the ground.)

Anyway, we all get to see quite enough of the sun at dawn/dusk, as it is low on the horizon, so just about any animal could be exposed to direct sunlight. Probably why we (and they) evolved eyelids. Furthermore, eyes have a pupil that can adjust size according to available light, which is why our eyes can deal with such a wide variation in light, from near pitch-dark to full sunshine - all without needing sunglasses.

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Can dogs look up though? :)Also, I don't think they're all pessimists... ;)

Orior
13-01-2006, 12:55
When we crawled out of the ocean and stood up on our hind legs, we had big hairy brows to protect us from the sun, just like my mother-in-law has.

BBKing
13-01-2006, 13:10
The dogs thing is interesting, because anyone who's ever thrown a stick or ball for a dog will know that it's perfectly capable of tracking a flying object and predicting its path. It's interesting to ponder what this evolved for - the only thing I can think of is catching birds. Which is more or less what we breed some dogs for anyway.

A small experiment with a dog, a ball and the low winter sun would be interesting, if you can get the ball between the dog and the sun will it be able to track it?

Edit: Another reason could be because of pack hunting - dogs in a pack can take down animals bigger than themselves, so things above you like hooves and horns that you'd want to stay clear of have to be tracked. Cats don't pack hunt things bigger than them.

basa
13-01-2006, 13:33
The dogs thing is interesting, because anyone who's ever thrown a stick or ball for a dog will know that it's perfectly capable of tracking a flying object and predicting its path. It's interesting to ponder what this evolved for - the only thing I can think of is catching birds. Which is more or less what we breed some dogs for anyway.

Yeh but try throwing the stick/ball very high, or even straight up, and you will see the dog will not track it. Not until it lands on their head anyway !! :eek:

BBKing
13-01-2006, 13:46
<ring ring>
"Hello, is that the RSPCA?"

punky
13-01-2006, 20:51
Only found this out the other day, but I thought it was hillarious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_spagetti_monster

Kliro
13-01-2006, 23:27
That link is quality. :D

To what extent would we still be evolving?? As we look after the disabled, who would be left to die, and not pass on their genes in the wild.

danielf
13-01-2006, 23:36
Only found this out the other day, but I thought it was hillarious...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_spagetti_monster

More here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_fish), all variations of the ichthys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichthys). I like the Darwin fish myself :)

Russ
13-01-2006, 23:36
Cats don't pack hunt things bigger than them.

Boy would you eat those words if you saw my parents' neighbour's herd of wildcats.

Angua
14-01-2006, 00:02
Boy would you eat those words if you saw my parents' neighbour's herd of wildcats.

He must have been referring to domestic cats as a pride of lions (well the females at any rate) regularly take out such things as Wilderbeasts.

Russ
14-01-2006, 00:18
So was I :spin:

BBKing
14-01-2006, 10:38
He must have been referring to domestic cats

I was. You can't throw sticks for cats, is the point. You can try, but they'll either look at you insultingly or stroll over and sniff it. They won't track it through the air and leap up at the right moment and grab it like many dogs do.

Obviously they'll go for things like wool and string being dangled but there's a good reason to grab it in case there's a mouse attached to the other end!

Actually, the lion thing struck me yesterday too - they hunt in packs but are much, much bigger than wild dogs/wolves. They tend to leap on things rather than try and bite on low down and drag the prey down. Wikipedia confirms that they're unique among felids in pack hunting:

Like all other cats, lions are superpredators, but unlike all other cats they are social hunters and take prey too large and dangerous to overpower singly, including adult zebras, cape buffalo, giraffes, hippopotamuses, and even sub-adult elephants.

So we need a new experiment - throwing sticks for lions to fetch. Any volunteers.

danielf
14-01-2006, 12:13
So we need a new experiment - throwing sticks for lions to fetch. Any volunteers.

They jump through hoops don't they?