PDA

View Full Version : Dabs.com and Visa Electron Cards.?

budwieser
12-01-2006, 20:18
:confused:
Anybody got any ideas why having a Visa Electron Debit Card is giving me problems getting two items returned to www.dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com)
I know that Dabs.com does not accept Electron but i just wondered why that was!? :confused:
Looking forward to some enlightening posts from you Guys and Girls.:)

Helix
12-01-2006, 20:36
How did you order from them if they don't take Visa Electron cards? Did you pay with another card, if so then its likely they can only refund to that card and not a visa electron one.

cnewton2k
12-01-2006, 22:07
Let me get this right

Did you order the stuff from Dabs on a different card?

And now you are trying to get the money refunded back on to the Visa Electron??

If that is what u are trying to do u are barking up the wrong tree, they are not allowed to refund on to different cards.

It has to be the same card the purchase was made on, this is to stop people refunding money onto anyone cards, it checks the orginal purchase and will only refund for that amount on that card.

budwieser
12-01-2006, 22:28
Let me clarify this for you guys.

I want to return for repair under the warranty terms, two items purchased from Dabs.com on my old bank card. I have since changed banks and Dabs are saying that i have to pay for the items to be collected from me and returned to them.To do this i have to use my new bank card which is a Visa Electron debit card, to pay the £9.34 return carriage for my faulty goods.
Dabs however do not accept Visa Electron.
Dabs do not accept Cheques.
I`m not asking for a refund but just to get my faulty goods replaced or repaired but i want to pay the return carriage but Dabs do not accept the means that i am proposing to pay them with.
They also do not have a telephone number that i can call them on.
Hope this clears this up a bit!:)

What is my next step?
Any idea what Dabs managing Directors E-Mail Address is?:)

Strzelecki
12-01-2006, 22:43
How old are the items?
Dabs contact details:
Phone: 0870 4293000/0870 4293010/0870 429 3001/0870 429 3089
Fax: 0870 4297000Although they would prefer you contacted them via email, far less customer facing. support@dabs.com
'Customer Service' Supervisor sboice@Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/), could also try sm@ (sm@dabs.com)Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/) sforshaw@ (sforshaw@dabs.com)Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/)

cnewton2k
12-01-2006, 22:45
http://www.dabs.com/helptopic.aspx?NavigationKey=4294967288&ArticleID=145&SectionName=New_To_dabs

Have a read of this it explains why the dont accept certain cards, however having worked in Merchant services it really dont make sense as they are saying that the Card company dont offer 'UK etailer merchant services'. Now i am 99% sure that Visa Electron is a standard card just the same as Solo and Switch.

Also writing an email to the MD isnt really going to make any difference at all, there systems aint geared to take Visa Electron and there will be nothing he can do about it.

SMHarman
12-01-2006, 23:07
http://www.dabs.com/helptopic.aspx?NavigationKey=4294967288&ArticleID=145&SectionName=New_To_dabs

Have a read of this it explains why the dont accept certain cards, however having worked in Merchant services it really dont make sense as they are saying that the Card company dont offer 'UK etailer merchant services'. Now i am 99% sure that Visa Electron is a standard card just the same as Solo and Switch.

Also writing an email to the MD isnt really going to make any difference at all, there systems aint geared to take Visa Electron and there will be nothing he can do about it.
Visa Elelctron is supposed to be face to face electronic transactions only, though most CC APIs can't don't tell the difference certainly my HSBC one takes them. Same as SOLO.
Visa Debit and Maestro (the card formerly known as Switch) are the two types of universally accepted debit card. Visa and Mastercard on the Credit card front. You then need a separeate merchant agreement with Diners, AMEX etc to take those cards.

craig5320
12-01-2006, 23:14
It's a predicament alrite, best off ringing them and asking what they propose, or get the help of a friend with a acceptable card.

I've had dealings with dabs before, I don't live too far from there warehouse, so i ended up driving to their offices to resolve it, but I guess that's not an option for you.

Altho it'll cost you money surely you could just get an RMA number and ship the goods yourself to them?

KingPhoenix
12-01-2006, 23:41
Why not get the returns address... go down to your post office and post it to them recorded delivery???

Pia
13-01-2006, 01:57
They sent you out faulty goods and you have to pay the return postage?!:erm:

budwieser
13-01-2006, 21:01
How old are the items?
Dabs contact details:

Fax: 0870 4297000Although they would prefer you contacted them via email, far less customer facing. support@dabs.com
'Customer Service' Supervisor sboice@Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/), could also try sm@ (sm@dabs.com)Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/) sforshaw@Dabs.com (sforshaw@Dabs.com)

The items are within the warranty period.
Dabs.com do not accept the Electron card as a means of paying for their return under a RMA.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Apparantly so, you would`nt have to do that if you bought the items from a shop!:(

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:59 ----------

Why not get the returns address... go down to your post office and post it to them recorded delivery???

They collected the Card already mate and now they want me to pay for the collection!!!!!!!!!:mad:
But they don`t accept an Electron Card.

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

How old are the items?
Dabs contact details:

'Customer Service' Supervisor sboice@Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/), could also try sm@ (sm@dabs.com)Dabs.com (http://www.dabs.com/) sforshaw@Dabs.com (sforshaw@Dabs.com)

Thanks for that Mate, I`ll try the numbers ASAP.:tu:

Please Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It`s doing my Head in!

bob_a_builder
13-01-2006, 21:19
Also writing an email to the MD isnt really going to make any difference at all,
Maybe not as to whether they take electron or not

But you having to pay for return carrage on faulty goods, thats not on

budwieser
13-01-2006, 22:05
Maybe not as to whether they take electron or not

But you having to pay for return carrage on faulty goods, thats not on

Apparantly, according to the OFT website you should not be out of pocket for returning goods with " An Inherant fault" whatever that means.
I take it that means a fault within the product?

nffc
13-01-2006, 23:34
Apparantly so, you would`nt have to do that if you bought the items from a shop!:(
But you wouldn't return it by car to the shop, and expect the shop to refund your petrol? :erm: :shrug:

Pia
14-01-2006, 00:28
But you wouldn't return it by car to the shop, and expect the shop to refund your petrol? :erm: :shrug:

Nooo..... but you could have walked..:shrug:

Anyway if you wanna bring that up, i wouldn't expect the money to get to the post box, just the postage for it to get back to them.

nffc
14-01-2006, 00:40
Nooo..... but you could have walked..:shrug:

Anyway if you wanna bring that up, i wouldn't expect the money to get to the post box, just the postage for it to get back to them.
Still different - the mail-order thing covers the "cost of return to base" - if you were dealing with a store, then the analog is the cost of getting the item, yourself, back to the store.

Whilst I agree the return carriage should be refunded, I still think the expectation of that is a tad double standards when you wouldn't, say, lug a faulty PC back to PCW and say "here I'm returning this emachines cos it's ****e" and then say "oh and by the way I'd like my £15 petrol money that it cost me to get the thing back from home" would you? In my book, it's the same as buying the thing online, getting it delivered home, finding it ****, RMAing and then getting, no sorry expecting, a postage refund...

Whilst in some cases the postage should definitely be refunded (wrong item) I'm unsure why the double standards exist...

budwieser
14-01-2006, 19:19
Still different - the mail-order thing covers the "cost of return to base" - if you were dealing with a store, then the analog is the cost of getting the item, yourself, back to the store.

Whilst I agree the return carriage should be refunded, I still think the expectation of that is a tad double standards when you wouldn't, say, lug a faulty PC back to PCW and say "here I'm returning this emachines cos it's ****e" and then say "oh and by the way I'd like my £15 petrol money that it cost me to get the thing back from home" would you? In my book, it's the same as buying the thing online, getting it delivered home, finding it ****, RMAing and then getting, no sorry expecting, a postage refund...

Whilst in some cases the postage should definitely be refunded (wrong item) I'm unsure why the double standards exist...

Can you explain what you mean by "Double Standards" please mate?
I bought an item and paid carriage for it to be delivered, It has now become faulty within the warranty period and i`m expected to pay nearly a Tenner to send something back which is not my fault.!:shrug: :scratch: If i had ordered and then changed my mind i would expect a handling charge, but not for this.
If you had your car repaired at a Garage and it was`nt right when you got it back, you would`nt expect to be charged for the Garage to have another look at it, would you?

UncleBooBoo
14-01-2006, 19:32
Visa Elelctron is supposed to be face to face electronic transactions only, though most CC APIs can't don't tell the difference certainly my HSBC one takes them. Same as SOLO.
Visa Debit and Maestro (the card formerly known as Switch) are the two types of universally accepted debit card. Visa and Mastercard on the Credit card front. You then need a separeate merchant agreement with Diners, AMEX etc to take those cards.

No it is not for face 2 face you are wrong!

It is for electronic use only!

Which means it can be used in every case except it can not be used over the phone!

For example you can use it on the internet or in person in the shops etc, but you could not use it to pay for goods or services over the phone unless it is an automated call! Stupid I know but I found this out after asking my bank! Although I have never been refused payment by any company except for one time a couple of years ago as they did not accept electron cards full stop!

However as we all know certain companies only accept certain cards!

If I was you I would ask a friend or relative if they have a card which Dabs accept and if so ask if you can use it and pay them in cash! or you can go to the manufacturer of the item itself and get it repaired that way!

nffc
14-01-2006, 20:19

Can you explain what you mean by "Double Standards" please mate?
I bought an item and paid carriage for it to be delivered, It has now become faulty within the warranty period and i`m expected to pay nearly a Tenner to send something back which is not my fault.!:shrug: :scratch: If i had ordered and then changed my mind i would expect a handling charge, but not for this.
If you had your car repaired at a Garage and it was`nt right when you got it back, you would`nt expect to be charged for the Garage to have another look at it, would you?
Answer this then:
- would you expect your postage refunded if you bought a faulty PC from dabs.com or any other mail order / online retailer and had to pay return carriage?
- would you expect your petrol refunded if you bought a faulty PC from PC World, Comet, Staples or any other store and had to return by car?
- if you said yes to one and no to the other explain the difference.

Pia
14-01-2006, 20:26
Answer this then:
- would you expect your postage refunded if you bought a faulty PC from dabs.com or any other mail order / online retailer and had to pay return carriage?
- would you expect your petrol refunded if you bought a faulty PC from PC World, Comet, Staples or any other store and had to return by car?

That is totally different!

1, I would only expect the postage to be refunded for it to go back to the shop, and then free delivery for return of a non-faulty one. You should only have to pay postage once.
2, i would not expect my petrol refunded if i had to go to a shop by car. This is ridiculous. Like i said in a previous post, what if you need to drive to the post office, would you expect the royal mail or dabs to refund your money?

If you have received an item you bought online you have already paid the postage anyway. It's their problem if they haven't sent out what you paid for.
If you buy anything in a shop do you expect your petrol money for buying out of their store?

budwieser
14-01-2006, 22:23
Answer this then:

Stop being so picky mate.:rolleyes:
I only asked a simple question, What are you, Grahams understudy?:angel:

nffc
14-01-2006, 22:59
Answer this then:
That is totally different!

1, I would only expect the postage to be refunded for it to go back to the shop, and then free delivery for return of a non-faulty one. You should only have to pay postage once.
2, i would not expect my petrol refunded if i had to go to a shop by car. This is ridiculous. Like i said in a previous post, what if you need to drive to the post office, would you expect the royal mail or dabs to refund your money?

If you have received an item you bought online you have already paid the postage anyway. It's their problem if they haven't sent out what you paid for.
If you buy anything in a shop do you expect your petrol money for buying out of their store?
No, IMO it is not totally different!

When you buy mail-order you are paying for them to ship you the item, in essence you are covering their expenses for transporting the item from their store to your house. This is exactly the same journey you undertake when you pop to your local out of town shopping Currys/Comet type place, walk in, grab a PC off the shelf, pay for it, lug it into the car and then transport it home this time by car.

Regardless of whether they send the wrong item or not - they still have to send it (and besides, I'm on about DOA / faulty under warranty items which is slightly different - I firmly believe that if they send you the wrong item then they should not only refund both carriage costs but send out the right one asap!).

If it's an item you have used which develops a fault ideally as a consumer service issue yes return carriage should be refunded - I'm not disputing that. My point is more that people expect it and consider it a right not a privilege.

As I said - you wouldn't expect the retailer to refund your expenses for an analogous journey with a high street retailer or a traditional store, just online?

Looking at it from neither a consumer nor a retailer's perspective, totally impartially and considering the actual process involved, you'd see an inequality.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:58 ----------

Answer this then:
Stop being so picky mate.:rolleyes:
I only asked a simple question, What are you, Grahams understudy?:angel:

Not at all - why would I imitate someone (who I could obviously see was a good poster regardless) who I don't really like? :angel:

You asked a simple question, and so did I!

Pia
14-01-2006, 23:20
When you buy mail-order you are paying for them to ship you the item, in essence you are covering their expenses for transporting the item from their store to your house. This is exactly the same journey you undertake when you pop to your local out of town shopping Currys/Comet type place, walk in, grab a PC off the shelf, pay for it, lug it into the car and then transport it home this time by car.
Well walk then?
The whole point of home delivery is just that- and you are paying the extra for the privelige (i.e the carriage fee).

Regardless of whether they send the wrong item or not - they still have to send it (and besides, I'm on about DOA / faulty under warranty items which is slightly different - I firmly believe that if they send you the wrong item then they should not only refund both carriage costs but send out the right one asap!). But you seem to think a shop should pay your petrol money/bus fare for buying in-store:confused:

If it's an item you have used which develops a fault ideally as a consumer service issue yes return carriage should be refunded - I'm not disputing that. My point is more that people expect it and consider it a right not a privilege.
The point is, if the company mess up, and send you an unsuitable item, then why should the customer be out of pocket?

As I said - you wouldn't expect the retailer to refund your expenses for an analogous journey with a high street retailer or a traditional store, just online?
Of course, because you are paying for home delivery!
Sorry to "dissect" your post by the way:p:

Russ
14-01-2006, 23:22
C'mon people. let's attack Dabs.com. not each other :D

nffc
15-01-2006, 00:29
Well walk then?
The whole point of home delivery is just that- and you are paying the extra for the privelige (i.e the carriage fee).

Regardless of whether they send the wrong item or not - they still have to send it (and besides, I'm on about DOA / faulty under warranty items which is slightly different - I firmly believe that if they send you the wrong item then they should not only refund both carriage costs but send out the right one asap!). But you seem to think a shop should pay your petrol money/bus fare for buying in-store:confused:

The point is, if the company mess up, and send you an unsuitable item, then why should the customer be out of pocket?

Of course, because you are paying for home delivery!
Sorry to "dissect" your post by the way:p:

Read my posts again. I'm not talking about cooling off periods or in the "wrong item sent" case, or even saying postage shouldn't be refunded - just pointing out an apparent (if you step back) gulf in the logic.

I don't think that a shop should cover your expenses for a return but looking at it, it's illogical that the same customers consider a postage refund as a right... that's my point really.

---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:28 ----------

C'mon people. let's attack Dabs.com. not each other :D
Who's attacking who?

Russ
15-01-2006, 00:32
No-one, yet ;)

nffc
15-01-2006, 00:34
That's cool, I thought we were playing nicely :cool:

Pia
15-01-2006, 01:11
nffc, i didn't meantion cooling off periods or anything. I think i would see it as a right, that i could demand the money from the company for the postage to return their goods. After all, i didn't order faulty goods, i ordered perfect brand new working goods.
If shipping is £20 a go, nobody should hav to pay that 2 or 3 times. Only the company.

I think you're right though, i can't find anywhere to say it's a "Law", but i think it to be an unwritten one that most companies do anyway.

See here http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/general/internet/fs_s01.shtml

Make sure that you check a merchant's returns policy before you buy. If the goods are faulty, the store should usually pay all postage costs. It is important to keep any original packaging in case you need to return goods.

It does say should... but i still agree that every retailer should pay the postage costs on faulty or wrong items.
It's so so so wrong IMO for a consumer to be out of pocket for a greedy companies' mistake!

---------- Post added at 01:11 ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 ----------

OP i wouldn't be happy about paying the postage costs, even on Dabs' site it says
"Note that depending on the reason for return, in some instances you will be responsible for paying the courier costs."

to me this implies that they would usually pay it, but are then meaning your reason for returning isn't good enough:shrug:

keithwalton
15-01-2006, 01:26
I seem to remember dabs stoping taking all but visa (full)/ mastercards because of a lack of security involved with the other types of cards.
I do also remember for a long time highstreet shops such as sainsbury's would not take visa electrons or solo's either.
I thought tho whole point of the electron and the solo was a young person's debit card (16-18)

ntl customer
15-01-2006, 01:49
I've read somewhere that if you enter your Visa Electron in as a bog standard Visa you might just slip through the net and allow the transaction to go through. Might be worth a try.

And if you phone them don't use the 0870 numbers.

budwieser
15-01-2006, 14:40
I wish i`d never asked the Damn question now.:(
32 mb onboard graphics on this spare pc really SUCKS Big Time, Just ordered another card from Aria.co.uk as this is doing my head in having a decent pc sitting here doing nothing!:disturbd:
Thanks all for your replies. I think. :scratch: :D

Helix
15-01-2006, 14:57
I've read somewhere that if you enter your Visa Electron in as a bog standard Visa you might just slip through the net and allow the transaction to go through. Might be worth a try.

And if you phone them don't use the 0870 numbers.

I have a Visa electron and get my web hosting from an american site which obviously only take american cards and they don't have Visa electron over there just Visa. I put it through as a Visa card and it works just fine.

UncleBooBoo
15-01-2006, 18:16
yep I done that it always go through as a visa!

SMHarman
15-01-2006, 18:34
I have a Visa electron and get my web hosting from an american site which obviously only take american cards and they don't have Visa electron over there just Visa. I put it through as a Visa card and it works just fine.
yep I done that it always go through as a visa!
Didn't I say that in post 7?

UncleBooBoo
15-01-2006, 18:59
Didn't I say that in post 7?

Not in so many words no!

SMHarman
16-01-2006, 00:47
Not in so many words no!
though most CC APIs can't don't tell the difference certainly my HSBC one takes them. True