PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem - Mac OS X and the NTL CD ROM

hammal
12-01-2006, 17:54
HI,
I have just installed a new BB cable connection (2Mb) with NTL. I have a PowerMac with OS X I tryed to use the installation disk, but the installation program give me an error, I would like to know if it is possible to configure manually the mac. I mean which is the network configuration I have to use to connect the Mac to internet?

Chris
12-01-2006, 17:56
It shouldn't need any configuration other than to ensure it's set to connect via ethernet. I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment but from memory, open Sytem Preferences, then click Network, and look for the connect via option.

Provided this is done it should happily talk to your Cable Modem without any further ado. Just make sure you're using the ethernet cable and not trying to use USB.

If Lew is still online he may be able to give further details, otherwise I'll check mine when I get home and post back if I got it wrong. :)

:welcome: to the forum.

hammal
13-01-2006, 10:10
I have tryed but it doesn't work. I have never connected with ntl so I am not registered. To day I will try to reinstall OS X and then I will try with the CD installation.

Chris
13-01-2006, 10:34
Can you say exactly what the error message is that you got, first time you tried to use the CD? Do not try to reinstall OSX yet. This is not Windoze we're talking about, the chances of anything going wrong with your Mac that would require you to reinstall the OS are infintesimally small. You will just be wasting your time.

shy_one
13-01-2006, 12:05
What Chris T has told you is correct.

I use Mac OS X 10.1.5 on an iMac G4 and have had no problems at all in setting it up. I use an Ethernet connection as the broadband is provided through the set top box. For an ethernet connection:

Go to Network under System Preferences and make sure "Built-in Ethernet" is selected and active.

Select "TCP/IP" and then select the "Using DHCP" option.

There should be no need to reinstall OS X and the ntlworld CD will only work under Mac OS 9.

If you are connecting using USB, I am not sure how it is configured under Network.

Michael

Chris
13-01-2006, 12:07
I'm not sure you can use USB under Mac OSX. There's absolutely no need to anyway, all Macs have had e-net built in since Adam was in shorts.

hammal
13-01-2006, 18:20
Error
after I click accept in the licence window appears for a while a new window then it disappears and come out a OS window that say the program was closed, checking in the report I find something about a kernal protection error

I try to use the CD with Classic but it still doesn't work

I try to configure the network as you said but noway.

About the manual configuration I think the problem is when you first time connect with the CD you have to register and I miss this part so may be my connection is not active. I think the you have to connect by CD the first time and then as you want.

By cable modem do you need to put an user and psw somewhere?

KevAmiga
13-01-2006, 19:06
I'm not sure you can use USB under Mac OSX.

You cant. And no, there isnt any need. Ambit never released any USB modem drivers for Macintosh computers.

If you check in System Pref's, and then "Network", under the TCP/IP tab do you have an IP address in there? If you do, dont post it here but thats a good sign. If its a modem you havent used before, you need to register. Fire up a browser and head to http://80.5.178.26 and follow through. Let me know how you get on :) Mac's on BB are great, shouldnt be any problems unless there are kernel issues with the OS or other problems...

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

By cable modem do you need to put an user and psw somewhere?

Only for email. No need for the connection, its all DHCP and perminantly connected.

hammal
14-01-2006, 14:34
Another thing, if I configure the network and then I ping by terminal www.google.com (http://www.google.com) it works I receive an answer it mean I am connected, but if I try with a browser I can't see any webpages.
Now I try to go to the address Kev said me.

---------- Post added at 13:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Kev you are right I have registered the moden and now I am surfing with my powermac

KevAmiga
14-01-2006, 19:28
Sweet :)