PDA

View Full Version : Yipee New Job

Escapee
11-01-2006, 20:00
I put my notice in to my present employer the day before the christmas break, as I am starting a new job at the end of this month. I went along for the interview very laid back not expecting to be offered the position, but was pleasantly surprised at how well the interview went and was pleased to be offered the position. (Yes I know, the other candidates must of been really bad)

I will be happy to cut down on the travelling, as the new job is less than 6 miles away where the old one is 60 miles away. It will mean a £5K a year increase and about £250 a month saved in diesel alone, not to mention an extra 2 hours in bed every morning!

In my current job I report to a director, when I sat down to tell him he hit the roof. He was very nasty about it and then tried emotional blackmail by saying my collegue would have a terrible christmas worrying about all the work. He eventually came down off the ceiling and said "How much will it take" I told him no thanks and repeated that when HR made the same offer.

My collegue and myself were supposed to be working together on a large project, but the director kept taking him away to deal with other problems, he was fed up with being messed about and I was left to deal with everything on my own. I was researching, contacting suppliers, meeting suppliers, placing orders, projact managing, writing and researching specs, designing hardware, building prototype hardware, writing software, supervising wiremen and assembly workers seconded, as well as providing technical support to the operations department. In the last month I have also been working on a new project in tandem, much of the mechanical work has been completed at home in my own time on my own milling machine, and some software has also been written at home in my own time.

Last week we had a meeting and the director has decided to put my collegue on the project full time, place another engineer on it full time (he's gone sick as a result), put a part time engineer on it, put someone from purchasing on it part time, and also employ another two engineers to replace me!

I think he has realised the amount of work he has piled on, and is finding it impossible to find anyone already in the company or to employ someone with all the skills required.

I have had a few good pay rises and bonuses for my hard work, but I think my termination of employment has really rocked the boat.:D

homealone
11-01-2006, 20:10
congratulations on the new job, by the sounds of it your existing employer was guilty of taking the mickey, big time. The reduced travelling & extra money are the icing on the cake - hope it goes well for you :tu:

Nidge
11-01-2006, 20:20
Well done:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: It sounds like you gaffer has had his pound of flesh from you. Good luck in you new job:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

gooner4life
11-01-2006, 20:57
Congratulations mate, very well done by the sounds of it, the £250 a month on fuel is an extra £3 grand as it is, so it's really an £8k rise which is good going by anyones standards happy new year :D

Escapee
11-01-2006, 21:17
Congratulations mate, very well done by the sounds of it, the £250 a month on fuel is an extra £3 grand as it is, so it's really an £8k rise which is good going by anyones standards happy new year :D

The £3 grand in fuel is also after tax, so it really makes the job look like £10K extra plus a good bonus.

To be fair to my existing employer though, the wages were fairly good. I was also due for my annual appraisal the day I start my new job.:D

I think the appraisal would of resulted in more cash, my collegue has been asking for a while if I am thinking of a move. I have been replying "No not really, unless an agency phones me up with another interesting permanent job close to home" I know its always a risk moving jobs, I can only give it a go though.

They are trying to get my security clearance transferred from my old company ASAP so they can get me out to Florida for a week or so to meet the rest of the team.:cool:

budwieser
11-01-2006, 21:30
Well Pleased for you Mate!:)
Hope its everything that you expect it to be.:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: ;)

Angua
11-01-2006, 21:59
From the sounds of the Job you are leaving you are living up to your user name big style. :D

Well done. :clap:

Escapee
11-01-2006, 22:51
From the sounds of the Job you are leaving you are living up to your user name big style. :D

Well done. :clap:

I gave myself that one when I left ntl:D

Halcyon
12-01-2006, 01:26
Al the best for the new job mate.
Hope all goes well for you. Good luck. :) :tu:

Nidge
12-01-2006, 13:47
They are trying to get my security clearance transferred from my old company ASAP so they can get me out to Florida for a week or so to meet the rest of the team

Florida???? I'll take back what I said about getting another job, you ought to stay where you are and suffer:D :D :D Only kidding mate good luck in Florida.

Paul
12-01-2006, 18:33
Well done on the new job. :)

etccarmageddon
12-01-2006, 19:32
it takes around £1000 in pay to fund £50 a month so £250 in fuel is approx £5000 lost from your salary! I can't believe you drove 60 miles to work each way, that isn't something you could stick for more than say a year or 2!

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

anyway good luck - personally I'd have seen how much extra wages I could have got out of the old boss rather than just dismiss it, but I'm more money motivated!

Nidge
13-01-2006, 06:06
it takes around £1000 in pay to fund £50 a month so £250 in fuel is approx £5000 lost from your salary! I can't believe you drove 60 miles to work each way, that isn't something you could stick for more than say a year or 2!

anyway good luck - personally I'd have seen how much extra wages I could have got out of the old boss rather than just dismiss it, but I'm more money motivated!

If he's driving 60 miles to work each day he's going to be better off in the long run surely. If it was me I'd be happy with just cutting the travelling down that would be saving me £250 per month.

Nidge
14-01-2006, 10:59

A fuel allowance, pay rise, and a company car would have been ok for me. Looking at the pros and cons the manager of this company has got it good with Escapee, he knows what he's talking about by the sounds of things. I doubt he'd get the things stated above but it's worth a try.