PDA

View Full Version : sky box needs a phone line and no junction near

alandouglas
09-01-2006, 18:51
I need to connect my sky + box to my telewest line and dont have a nearby extension. The only connection box is not in a suitable position to wire an extension to the tv box.
I thought a wireless adapter could be the answer but these all say not suitable for a digital line.
Any solutions ?

MovedGoalPosts
09-01-2006, 19:47
The phone line required by the sky box is just an ordinary analogue phone, so if there are wireless sender/receivers for extending phone systems (never heard of one myself) then may be those will work?

sollp
09-01-2006, 20:27
I need to connect my sky + box to my telewest line and dont have a nearby extension. The only connection box is not in a suitable position to wire an extension to the tv box.
I thought a wireless adapter could be the answer but these all say not suitable for a digital line.
Any solutions ?

Unfortunately this is one of the small issues when taking Sky, for the first 12 months you have to have it connected to the phone line. Usually the Sky installer will connect this, so i take take it your moving the position of the original install?

You either get Telewest to install another extension or you do it yourself, hopefully you can make a reasonably neat job of it, of course don't casue any faults on the phone line as you will be billed when Telewest come to fix it.

peterjohno
10-01-2006, 22:52
Hi alan , i too have got this problem , ive got multiroom too , so i need two phone connections. telewest will charge me £75 for each . what a swizz. need to find another way that doesnt involve ripping up my new carpets and making nail oles in the skirting

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 20:33
Unfortunately this is one of the small issues when taking Sky, for the first 12 months you have to have it connected to the phone line.

I have come accross this. They insist this so you partake of interactive stuff and hopefully buy stuff like games over the line etc. But what happens if, after the sky installer leaves, you simply disable the phone line component and prevent it being used?

alandouglas
22-01-2006, 21:29
They monitor the line and if it is disconnected they send a letter saying that you will be charged for 2 seperate boxes instaed of the multiroom rate

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 21:40
They monitor the line and if it is disconnected they send a letter saying that you will be charged for 2 seperate boxes instaed of the multiroom rate

they can tell it's disconnected then? How so?

Chris W
22-01-2006, 21:43
presumably the phone line is for dialling back to sky.... if they don't get the call ins from the box they will probably tell...

and yes that is quite vague cos i don't know a lot about sky

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 21:44
presumably the phone line is for dialling back to sky.... if they don't get the call ins from the box they will probably tell...

and yes that is quite vague cos i don't know a lot about sky

yeah - but there is such a setup here and no competitions or things bought have ever happened

Chris W
22-01-2006, 21:59
yeah - but there is such a setup here and no competitions or things bought have ever happened

If I understand correctly the box still phones home whether you use interactive services or not.

driver_problems
22-01-2006, 22:00
If I understand correctly the box still phones home whether you use interactive services or not.

sort of like Spielberg's ET?

peterjohno
23-01-2006, 00:17
I just got a letter from sky saying there was a communication error , and are my boxes disconnected from the phone lines??? They gently reminded me that should they stay disconnected , i will be billed two separate charges. I had no choice but to install the extensions myself. It wasnt actually that bad , especially as a mate had one of them bt staple guns . This was esier and neater than those cable hook things with nails in . In total , cost me about £20 for two extension boxes and wire , better than £150 in telewests pocket.

Chris
23-01-2006, 00:27
Yes, Sky boxes periodically phone home, so Sky can tell whether it's plugged in, and whether the correct subscriber card is being used - as we found out at Christmas when it spotted and blocked my father-in-law's card within a matter of hours (they came to stay and brought their full-subscription sky card with them).

Possibly depending on your STB model, but you can see it dialling home because the modem light comes on at the front. It seems it usually does it late evening.

banjo
23-01-2006, 16:19
I have had my Sky box for about 5 years, on installation the box would not register correctly, I did not know but it was faulty, and even though it was connected to the phone line the modem part was faulty.

I never tried to use the interactive system until after the guarantee had run out I phoned Sky but they said "tuf, you will have to pay" so if I was you I wouldn't bother about the phone connection :)

peterjohno
23-01-2006, 23:52
I never tried to use the interactive system until after the guarantee had run out I phoned Sky but they said "tuf, you will have to pay" so if I was you I wouldn't bother about the phone connection :)

Banjo ,i have multiroom remember, so i dont want to get charged for two subscriptions. best to be safe than sorry mate.