PDA

View Full Version : Internet upgrades

mobily
08-01-2006, 16:12
Hey all,

Does anyone know when Plymouth will have the internet upgrades? I am currently on 512kb but really want to be on 2mb. I can't understand why the updates are taking so long as obviously 2mb can be had already as some people are paying for 2mb at present. Do you think it will be worth to upgrade to 2mb so I will eventually get 10mb?

How much is 2mb at the moment?

Cheers ;)

Jon T
08-01-2006, 16:40
ring CS, as far as i know 512kb hasn't existed as a main package for ages, what you paying a month?

mobily
08-01-2006, 18:06
I'm paying £14.99 a month for internet and was told when I signed up that 512kb would become 2mb eventually.

Jon T
08-01-2006, 18:19
Not being an expert on this but £14.99 per month sounds like the old price for NTL's lowest broadband offering, this has changed speeds over time (64k -> 128k -> 150k -> 300k -> 1Mb), people on that tier of service are now paying £17.99 per month though(i think).

Have you done any speed tests to confirm the speed that you are actually getting.

If not go to: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp and see what it tells you.

Stuart
08-01-2006, 18:39
Is plymouth on the net, or is it ADSL?

Jon T
08-01-2006, 18:41
oops! I was forgetting about ADSL

mobily
08-01-2006, 21:35

I'm sorry I don't understand this question.

I am definetly on 512kb as I have done a speed check many times and it always comes back around that area. The Telewest website says:

If our up to new broadband speeds are not in your area yet our up to 2mb customers will receive our up to 512k service, our up to 4mb service will receive our up to 1Mb service, our up to 10Mb customers will receive our up to 4Mb service with all services receiving an automatic free upgrade by early 2006.

How much are people paying for the 4mb service now?

v0id
08-01-2006, 23:46
ring CS, as far as i know 512kb hasn't existed as a main package for ages, what you paying a month?
the 512 package was the old 256 starter package. It's upgrade to the 2Mb is part of the even faster promotion..to which Plymouth is still TBA (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster) at the bottom of the list

Stuart
08-01-2006, 23:53

I'm sorry I don't understand this question.

I am definetly on 512kb as I have done a speed check many times and it always comes back around that area. The Telewest website says:

If our up to new broadband speeds are not in your area yet our up to 2mb customers will receive our up to 512k service, our up to 4mb service will receive our up to 1Mb service, our up to 10Mb customers will receive our up to 4Mb service with all services receiving an automatic free upgrade by early 2006.

How much are people paying for the 4mb service now?

Sorry, should have re-phrased the question.

ADSL and Cable Broadband are both methods of delivering broadband Internet .

ADSL comes through a BT phone line, but can be provided by a number of Internet Service Providers (Bulldog, NTL, Demon, AOL etc). Cable Broadband uses your Cable connection and the connection is delivered through a Cable Modem, or your TV Set Top Box.

Can't really comment on what speeds Telewest offer in your area though.