PDA

View Full Version : New Installation

wayneunique
08-01-2006, 15:49
Right, first of all my I wish everyone a happy New Year.

After being with BT for the past year and only allowed to have 1meg Broadband connection I've bitten the bullet and decided on getting NTL for broadband (10meg) and also the phoneline.
I've been given an installation date for next Saturday (14th) and was wondering on what I should be aware of and also what an installation occurs of?

I know my next door neighbours both have NTL and said they have never experienced any problems.

Regards.

MovedGoalPosts
08-01-2006, 16:28
Installation simply involves a cable being run through your garden from a point in the pavement (there might be a little green or black circular disc out there) to your house. This cable should be buried. A small box is fitted to the outside of your house. From there a cable will be run to where you want the broadbadn modem. This will need to come through the house wall, so be prepared for some drilling. If it's muddy outside there's a risk the installer will have some on his boots. I'd have a dust sheet handy. Cables inside the house will normally be surface clipped.

The installer should check the modem powers up OK and that it receives the correct signal levels.

Connecting your computer to the modem is for you to do. You'll be left an install CD, but your advised not to bother with that, if you use ethernet to connect (preferred as it's faster - USB might not be capable of running at up to 10Meg). The only need to use the ntl disk is for USB drivers if you must do it that way.

You'll need to remove any settings from your PC from your current ADSL service. But I'd have an overlap between terminating your ADSL service and relying on ntl, just to allow for any unexpected problems with the install.

spike7451
08-01-2006, 19:31
With regards to the phoneline,it is either ran internally or externally.Make sure the Telco Master socket (known as a CTE-5) is mounted next to the BT master socket (NTE-5) otherwise,if you have any extensions in the house running off the BT,you'll lose them.If you are porting your BT telephone number to NTL & it's not due for a few days after install,get the crew to book a call so that when your Port is done,the extensions can be swapped from BT to NTL.
Spike

wayneunique
09-01-2006, 14:23
Many thanks for the help and information.

I will be positioning the NTL Telco Master socket right next to the BT one as this where my router sit and which all the necessary ethernet cabling is under the carpet.
My ADSL service terminates on the 27th January, so that gives me two weeks grace just in case NTL do muck things up.

Oh well, Saturday will soon be here and that's when the fun begins :D

SLM
09-01-2006, 17:34
Many thanks for the help and information.

I will be positioning the NTL Telco Master socket right next to the BT one as this where my router sit and which all the necessary ethernet cabling is under the carpet.
My ADSL service terminates on the 27th January, so that gives me two weeks grace just in case NTL do muck things up.

Oh well, Saturday will soon be here and that's when the fun begins :D

Let us know how you get on, stay on line when you are getting installed, you could post a quick thread if you need to question anything.

wayneunique
14-01-2006, 16:10
Right, an update on the installation.

Last week I received a letter and email from NTL saying that installation was due today (14th - am). We'll, I waited till 1pm and then decided to phone them to find out what was happening and to my shock I was informed that the installation was taking place on the 28th of February :Yikes:
I stated to them that I have the letter and email saying the date was the 14th January, in which I was then informed the change was due to an initial inspection which found out that a construction team has to come out (booked for the 23rd of February).

I told them that BT will be cutting me off next week and that I cannot go without a phone line for over a month, the woman apologised then passed me around different departs as I wanted to possibly get an earlier date for the construction team and installation, which I was unsuccessful with.

The main thing to me was lack of information from NTL, they did not even phone me or send me a letter informing me of the changes to installation date etc. If this is the way they are going to treat a brand new customer I do not want to take any of their services.

So, I have decided to cancel the NTL installation completely and stay with BT. I don't have the slightest confidence that NTL can provide a decent service or even fullfill the new installation date given. :mad:

MovedGoalPosts
14-01-2006, 16:32
That's terrible :mad: When will ntl learn that they need to communicate these things to the customer, not just make arbitrary changes to dates and not talk to anyone. :(

If you do still want an ntl service, we can escalate this for you, but I suspect once bitten twice shy. PM me with details (accont name, acount number if issued yet / or order number, address, contact phone and email) and we'll pass it on to our senior ntl contacts. Alternatively, if you have given up - I don't blame you - you may want to give ntl a piece of your mind, in which case may I suggest Responsetek.

UncleBooBoo
14-01-2006, 16:32
Same happened to me and it took them 3 months to complete my installation even though I cancelled!

But they sneakly turned up here when I was in work and the wife asumed I had re-ordered it or something! :dozey:

Bet you they turn up at yours on the 28th of February even though you have cancelled!

SLM
14-01-2006, 17:50
That's terrible :mad: When will ntl learn that they need to communicate these things to the customer, not just make arbitrary changes to dates and not talk to anyone. :(

If you do still want an ntl service, we can escalate this for you, but I suspect once bitten twice shy. PM me with details (accont name, acount number if issued yet / or order number, address, contact phone and email) and we'll pass it on to our senior ntl contacts. Alternatively, if you have given up - I don't blame you - you may want to give ntl a piece of your mind, in which case may I suggest Responsetek.

If I where wayneunique I would escalate this any how, this is disgusting.:shocked:

wayneunique
16-01-2006, 22:03
I've managed to get BT to reverse the cancellation, also the same with Freedom2Surf.

I am still debating whether to continue with the installation of NTL as I do really need more than a 1meg connection and currently NTL are the only ones who can provide this.
Yes, I know what they done to me, the lack of communication etc but I'm seriously reconsidering them.

Am I mad????

UncleBooBoo
17-01-2006, 13:11
Ummmmm Yes! :LOL:

kibblerok
18-01-2006, 01:55
I've managed to get BT to reverse the cancellation, also the same with Freedom2Surf.

I am still debating whether to continue with the installation of NTL as I do really need more than a 1meg connection and currently NTL are the only ones who can provide this.
Yes, I know what they done to me, the lack of communication etc but I'm seriously reconsidering them.

Am I mad????
If you have already cancelled ntl then re-order quickly, the construction work will need doing still and there will be a backlog (as there is always) and your construction date would have been released.

nst1
19-01-2006, 20:38
Hi, i'm looking to have 512K broadband installed. I'm currently on 56K, but NTL have recently started sending offers for the 512K service (which is just £1.50 more than what i pay for their 56K service every month).
I read Rob C's post about installation with interest, my main query is, will the installer provide the ethernet cable required to run from the MODEM to the PC (or in my case a Wi-Fi router), or will i have to purchase the cable seperately?

I want the broadband MODEM relatively close to the living room TV/DVD/Hi-FI power strip, but with the ethernet cable running behind the furniture, up to a high vantage point for good Wi-Fi coverage (in my case, the top of a display cabinet).
Also, i want to use Buffalo Wi-Fi equipment (Router, PC cards for my laptops, and NIC for the desktop computer), will the installer be bothered by this, or do they just install the equipment and go? Also are there any compatibility issues with Buffalo wireless equipment, and the NTL broadband service that i should know about?

Cheers,
NST ;)

quadplay
19-01-2006, 20:41
:welcome: to CF, NST!

ntl Cable Modems have a USB cable and an Ethernet cable included in the pack, however the Ethernet cable is only 1 meter in length.

The installer will site the modem wherever you want it, subject to being able to get the cable to the location! They will not register the modem or install it to your PC/router - that's for you to do! :)

nst1
19-01-2006, 20:57
Hi quadplay, thanks for your fast response. Looks like i better get the measuring tape out! Luckily i haven't purchased any equipment yet, but i'll be sure to add a good quality ethernet cable to my shopping list. I reckon a 4 or 5 meter cable will do the trick nicely.

Can't wait to ditch 56K!
NST

StephenB
20-01-2006, 02:48
I'm expecting my new 10Mb broadband installation next week. Which modem should I expect to get. Are there any modems I should be avoiding?

Thanks

PS1
20-01-2006, 23:14
You will almost certainly recieve the NTL250 (sacm).You should also be supplied with ethernet and usb cables,modem power lead,broadband installer software and ?ntls internet security software?(not positive about the last one)?:confused:

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

Am I mad????

up to 8meg with bulldog??(obviously dependant on your location).:tu:

SLM
20-01-2006, 23:59
You will almost certainly recieve the NTL250 (sacm).You should also be supplied with ethernet and usb cables,modem power lead,broadband installer software and ?ntls internet security software?(not positive about the last one)?:confused:

internet security software (aka netgaurd) can be downloaded from the ntl home page once you have registered with ntl BB.

nffc
21-01-2006, 00:48
internet security software (aka netgaurd) can be downloaded from the ntl home page once you have registered with ntl BB.
Not that I'd use it. Avast and Kerio...

wayneunique
21-01-2006, 12:25
Decided to cancel going with NTL now, my current adsl isp will be going 8meg at the end of March and that will be without any download limits.

Chris W
22-01-2006, 23:04
Hi quadplay, thanks for your fast response. Looks like i better get the measuring tape out! Luckily i haven't purchased any equipment yet, but i'll be sure to add a good quality ethernet cable to my shopping list. I reckon a 4 or 5 meter cable will do the trick nicely.

Can't wait to ditch 56K!
NST

If you are using a wireless router, can't you just have the modem installed where you are going to place this, then you can use the free ethernet cable and save yourself a few pennies

nst1
23-01-2006, 15:34
Hi Chris, i have to have the Wi-Fi router up high on a good vantage point, and i want the MODEM tucked away close to the mains power strip, that's why i've opted for a longer cable.
I also rang up NTL this morning to book the installation, and they offered me 1MB broadband for just £11.49 a month!! (permanent, rather than a special introductory offer lasting 12 months!! - with free installation), i guess it's because i subscribe to phone and cable TV also. Can't believe i've been paying £13.49 for 56K for so long!
Now i really can't wait to ditch 56K!!

NST :D:D:D

SLM
24-01-2006, 00:40
Hi Chris, i have to have the Wi-Fi router up high on a good vantage point, and i want the MODEM tucked away close to the mains power strip, that's why i've opted for a longer cable.

One quick question nst1 is there a specif reason for the router to be up high?
Why I ask is that it being rf signal it does not matter where you have it so long as it has no big objects in line of sight eg a big thick concrete wall/floor otherwise it can be placed anywhere.
Just trying to save you some time and not having cables unnecessarily hanging about.

nst1
24-01-2006, 12:10
By having the router tucked away on top of a display cabinet, means it's not visible all the time, nor are the wires, cable modem or power packs. The setup is in my living room which has to be kept neat and tidy (on orders from 'er indoors)!

My house is an old victorian semi, with the partition wall removed (which would normally divide the sitting and dining rooms). The chimmney breast on the sitting rooms side will have the cable modem stuck on it, so it won't be visible when i'm watching TV. As all of the computer and laptop equiment is upstairs, the height advantage may increase signal stability, as the signal will have to pass through the floor, and 2 walls in some cases.

NST

SLM
24-01-2006, 18:12
You missus sounds like mine. LOL You may have some trouble with the signal going thru a floor and 2 walls. I had trouble with my rf going thru a floor and a fireplace harth (about 10m) max so good luck with yours.

chrischambers
29-01-2006, 11:33
I read Rob C's post about installation with interest, my main query is, will the installer provide the ethernet cable required to run from the MODEM to the PC (or in my case a Wi-Fi router), or will i have to purchase the cable seperately?

then I lasted looked at NTL for BT products I saw that they were offing a Ethernet or Wi-fi services. the speed of the connection was the same, but the price was differant. I can't see how they can get away with this as all the are doing is changing you extra for a wi-fi box, which you can go and buy yourself at your local PC store for around £50 to £80 pounds.

regarding you ethernet. I wound go and purchase the cable and install it myself before NTL turns up, so that you will be able to check and make sure that all the connections are right.

Paul K
29-01-2006, 11:56
I would say that the odds of getting the cable are good as the installer is there to install the necessary connectivity or your setup. They won't often do the physical plugging of the cable into the PC or router but if it's a standard install you should have the necessary cable provided and put into position ready.
When they did my install in Peterborough I ended up with about 20ft of cable wound up around the back of my PC desk :erm:

nst1
29-01-2006, 15:53
Hi again, got my Broadband put in on Thursday. The installer actually turned up right on 12PM (quoted times were between 12PM and 6PM!). I expected the MODEM to be a lot bigger, but it's tiny in comparison to the ones that were around 4 or 5 years ago.
I also managed to install my wireless network on the same day, and found that you can still transfer your details via WI-FI, using the NTL CD, rather than having a physical connection between the PC and MODEM, via ethernet cable.
Setting up was a doddle as i forked out just over £250 for some decent Buffalo kit. It consists of the following:

Buffalo Airstation MIMO WZR-G108 Router
Buffalo Airstation MIMO WLI-CB-G108 PCMCIA Laptop Card
Buffalo WLI2-PCI-G54S PCI Adaptor
A decent CAT.6 compliant ethernet cable.

As all the equipment uses Buffalo AOSS (Airstation One-touch Secure System), it's really easy to set up a secure connection to the router, plus the signal coverage is excellent. It's amazing what you get if you fork out a little more for some above average kit - makes life a lot easier when it comes to setting the equipment up (especially if you are a novice like me).

NST

AdamD
30-01-2006, 03:41
Buffalo's stuff is pretty decent, even if it is more expensive, but you get what you pay for

I splashed out on one of those Linksys MIMO wireless routers, it was abit pricey compared to cheaper brands, but it's great compared to the Zoom X6 **** I bought before that.