PDA

View Full Version : Lost NTL connection since changing Modem from USB to Ethernet and back

alittleknowledge
07-01-2006, 22:27
Ok, I've done something stupid but I don't know what, can anyone help me out.

My friend gave me their CPU to clean up, they use NTL cable broadband with the supplied modem connected via USB, the machine was useable but connection to the internet (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=225624&forumid=1#) was painfully slow and smacked of viruses and adware. I gave it a good overhaul, removed the 9 viruses and other rubbish using Norton, Spybot and Ad-AWARE and ran utilities like tune up to clean it up. I connected to the internet (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=225624&forumid=1#) using my Belkin Ethernet router/modem and everything worked like a charm, I didn't have to do anything. Took the unit back to my friends, plugged everything in and it won't connect. I contacted NTL, what a waste of time that was, they got me to ping and stuff, and told me that they could see me, and had no idea why I could not see them. I stopped antivirus software and firewall, and actually uninstalled it in the end. Eventually they told me to do a full system restore, hardly likely as my friends weren't able to manage anti virus software, they were hardly likely to have ever backed it up. It's running Windows 98.

I've inadvertently changed something, but I have no idea what.

Can anyone run me through a few things to check, not overly techie please.

Many thanks
Karol

Hom3r
07-01-2006, 22:49
Try and reboot all the kit

DocDutch
07-01-2006, 22:56
mate,

Win98 is a bit dodgy with this. I think the thing you need to do is go to START then select RUN and type in there WINIPCFG, you might have to release all IP info and then renew it, as I think this is where the problem is, if you would do an ipconfig on the 98 machine you would find out that it has an ip in the range 192.168.2.***.

so try WINIPCFG first and see what happens

oops and I've been rude... .WELCOME TO THE BEST FORUM FOR TECH RELATED STUFF :)

patrickp
07-01-2006, 23:52
It might also be a good idea, alittleknowledge, to reconnect their machine with ethernet rather than USB - I presume that if you had it connected via an ethernet router, it must have an ethernet port, and so do most or all ntl modems.

Ethernet is generally considered a far better way to connect than USB: more reliable, better bandwidth and less hassles. In addition, as 10Mb is rolled out, machines connected with USB are not going to be able to access the full 10Mb.

Very simple, as you no doubt know: just power down the PC and modem, remove the USB lead, connect the ethernet lead instead, power up the modem and let it settle, then power up the PC. To keep things tidy, it would also be a good idea to uninstall the modem USB driver in Add/Remove Programs.

Oh yes, and welcome to the forum! :-)

alittleknowledge
08-01-2006, 00:19
I've rebooted everything many times, but thanks for the suggestion.

---------- Post added at 00:19 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

Thanks for that, I'm shifting the machine backwards and forwards between houses, because I've got no internet there duhh, so I will take a little while to find out what works. I'll be back.... Thank you for the help thus far, some things I haven't tried so well worth it.

Stuart
08-01-2006, 00:31
:welcome: to the forum.

Jim galbally
08-01-2006, 11:33
i'd take a guess that the hardware (drivers etc) aren't installed properly, maybe a corrupt library or something, causing you to not be able to connect to the modem properly.

just ditch the USB interface, its only there for backward compatibility with PCs without ethernet or users without brains. if his PC doesnt have an ethernet socket then 1) throw it away and buy a new PC ... lol 2) but a network card (theyre about 8quid inc. delivery!)