PDA

View Full Version : ntl:home 120 SACM & 10mb

glen8
05-01-2006, 21:27
Just a quickie,

Should my modem be able to download at full 10mb? I have had the 10mb broadband for a few months and when it was first activated the guy on the customer services told me it would be running at about 5-6mb until they finished the uk 10mb install which would be early 2006.

Now I have only ever got 8mb once and normally goes between 4-7mb.

I'm just wondering if my modem has problems at 10mb and I should try and get a newer model modem.

Thanks.

nffc
05-01-2006, 21:29
I'd say not, for a sustained period. But there's obviously much discussion about this in the 10 Mb thread. ;)

glen8
05-01-2006, 21:33
I'd say not, for a sustained period. But there's obviously much discussion about this in the 10 Mb thread. ;)

Yea, I noticed the thread as soon as I made my post. ARGH! I can't believe it, I just spilt my bottle of bud all over the modem:Yikes:

Wakar
05-01-2006, 21:45
Yea, I noticed the thread as soon as I made my post. ARGH! I can't believe it, I just spilt my bottle of bud all over the modem:Yikes:

Theres a reason why they say dont eat or drink near computers. You found out the hard way :rolleyes: . Unless your joking of course.:p:

XFS03
06-01-2006, 18:11
Have you received the latest update for your modem?

If you go here:- http://192.168.100.1/ (username & password = root) and click on "Operation Configuration", the latest upgrade should show the following:-
Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0002.cpr

Cerberus
06-01-2006, 18:31
There are varying views on this one. I had an engineer out today after getting very intermittent slow sppeds since being upgraded to 10mb. Some days I would get downloads going at 43k/sec.:(

Got nowhere with the Indian techies but as soon as those nice chaps at Swansea had a look at it they decided that it would be best to swap the SACM to a NTL 250. (Modem had rebooted itself 160 times since beginning of December & not by me either).

NTL 250 is now installed and what do you know 5-6mb every time. On a lighter note my 120 did me proud and was very sound up until the 10mb upgrade.

Great job NTL.:)

patrickp
06-01-2006, 23:46
Also makes a difference whether you're connected to your modem via USB or ethernet - if you're connected with USB, you're unlikely to realise the full 10Mb.

fragless
07-01-2006, 12:47
I have a 120 modem and 10mb BB, up to this week I was getting 4 to 7mb, 7mb being the max, then I formatted my pc and did some testing.

Once I had done the install I did a speed test and my speed showed 10mb, so has I loaded programs and content I made a restore point and did a speed test, I found out it was Zonealarm.

After some reading at ZA forum it would appear it is a ongoing problem with ZA.

Hope that helps?

salem
07-01-2006, 13:30
I'm using a 120 connected via firewire, when the upgrades first started i was getting roughly 4.5 to 6 meg.
Things had been a bit rough ping wise and i had a lot of packet loss up until the beginning of this week, since then its been blazing along at between 9 to 10 with very good pings.
I noticed that the maintainence link on the NTL website stated that they were carrying out work on the network at the same time so maybe they are ironing out the kinks caused by the upgrades.

s

patrickp
08-01-2006, 00:15
I have a 120 modem and 10mb BB, up to this week I was getting 4 to 7mb, 7mb being the max, then I formatted my pc and did some testing.

Once I had done the install I did a speed test and my speed showed 10mb, so has I loaded programs and content I made a restore point and did a speed test, I found out it was Zonealarm.

After some reading at ZA forum it would appear it is a ongoing problem with ZA.

Hope that helps?

Well, I have to say that I'm using Zone Alarm, and my connection speed normally seems to run at 8 to 10Mb. Since the times when it drops to 8-ish is usually evenings, I suspect that's more down to other users in this area than anything else.

MikeyB
08-01-2006, 07:52
I'm using a 120 connected via firewire
How do you do that?
The 120 (and afaik all other ntl modems) only has USB & Ethernet connections.