PDA

View Full Version : Breadmakers

Maggy
05-01-2006, 12:13
What do you recommend?

I'm getting sick of throwing away so much bread but it is so awful once it is opened and just doesn't last before it's too disgusting to eat.

Plus when a long holiday arises like the Christmas and New Year getting and preserving any kind of bread is problematic as there is never enough room in the freezer.Also my husband hates bread out of the freezer.

danielf
05-01-2006, 12:16
As mentioned, we use the Panasonic SD 253 which we're really pleased with. One particularly nice feature is that it has a raisin/nut dispenser. Rasisins/nuts need to be added during the baking process. The dispenser realeases them at the right time. The only problem we've had with it in the 2 years or so we had it was that the raisin dispenser broke, but we could easily order a replacement from Panasonic.

It's not cheap though. I paid about £100 for it.

Saaf_laandon_mo
05-01-2006, 12:17
My breadmaker has been sitting in my cupboard for about 18 months now, as the first time I tried it it wasn't worth the time or effort for the end product. It wasn't even a cheap breadmaker (its made my Panasonic and scored high on some review sites). My recommendation is, if you're feeling guilty about throwing uneaten bread away, is to either buy the half loafs they do nowadays, or learn to enjoy bread and butter pudding mmmmmm

Paul K
05-01-2006, 12:17
Mother (technophobe to be sure) swears by this machine (http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0365053133.113646333 5@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcaddgjfikfgmcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=522691&category_oid=) but it's not cheap. Does very good bread and is extremely easy to use.

Saaf_laandon_mo
05-01-2006, 12:19
Daniel, having read your post maybe Ive given up to easily on our bread maker. Do you have any hints and tips on how to get decent bread out of it? Ive tried the overnight and the quick setting but dissapointed both times.

danielf
05-01-2006, 12:26
Daniel, having read your post maybe Ive given up to easily on our bread maker. Do you have any hints and tips on how to get decent bread out of it? Ive tried the overnight and the quick setting but dissapointed both times.

Sorry, my wife does the baking :)

She makes two types of bread using the recipes from the booklet that came with it. I like the wholemeal with nuts bread. I believe she did experiment with different types/combinations of flour before settling on one recipe.

homealone
05-01-2006, 12:32
we use the Panasonic SD253 as well, well Mrs Gaz does.

It makes nice bread, as Danielf says the nut dispenser is handy (sunflower seeds & poppy seeds are a favourite) and the timer makes it convenient to use.

Just remember that 'home made' bread goes stale much quicker than most 'shop bought' :)

danielf
05-01-2006, 12:40
<snip>

Just remember that 'home made' bread goes stale much quicker than most 'shop bought' :)

This is true. But breadmakers make half loafs, so they get eaten quickly as well. Plus, we keep our bread in the freezer, but it looks like that is not an option for Incog.

Chris
05-01-2006, 12:47
Another vote for the Panasonic SD253 from me. :tu:

It is a superb machine, produces consistently high quality results and good size and shape loaves. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times we have had substandard results, and on every occasion that was down to a mistake by us getting ingredient quantities wrong.

It comes with full, clear instructions, a liquid measuring cup, a tsp/tbsp measure, and some good introductory recipes. Ours has been used 2-3 times a week for almost three years and is still going strong. I can't fault it.

STONEISLAND
05-01-2006, 15:09
I have just order one of those Panasonic SD253 bad boys. Have you read the reviews on amazonsound reall good.

Angua
05-01-2006, 15:20
Half the battle with bread machines is getting the mix right. I have found this very good (http://www.lakelandlimited.com/product.aspx/cookbake/bread%212347)

Chris
05-01-2006, 15:22
Half the battle with bread machines is getting the mix right. I have found this very good (http://www.lakelandlimited.com/product.aspx/cookbake/bread%212347)

I've never used a pre-packed mix. TBH I have never found it a battle to get my ingredients right - the instructions that come with the Panny are very clear and the utensils are clearly marked. It's easy!

Enuff
05-01-2006, 15:58
I dont know whats happening to the bread these days, it seems to go mouldy almost over night. I think we've threw more away than we've actually eaten! There has to be some other alternative than buying a breadmaker?

Chris
05-01-2006, 16:06
I dont know whats happening to the bread these days, it seems to go mouldy almost over night. I think we've threw more away than we've actually eaten! There has to be some other alternative than buying a breadmaker?

Buy smaller loaves, or long-life bread. The large bakeries cut down on preservative use in bread some years ago, so it doesn't last as long these days.

However IMO you can't beat fresh baked bread and a home breadmaker is a very good way to get it. :drool:

homealone
05-01-2006, 16:06

Manufacturers have stopped using preservatives & reduced the amount of salt in the recipe. This is 'healthier', but does mean that it is more subsceptible to spoilage.

One thing to watch out for, is that if any container used to store bread has had any go mouldy, it must be thoroughly cleaned out (boiling water if possible), as otherwise any spores left behind will be able to infect a new fresh loaf really quickly.

Nidge
05-01-2006, 16:10
As mentioned, we use the Panasonic SD 253 which we're really pleased with. One particularly nice feature is that it has a raisin/nut dispenser. Rasisins/nuts need to be added during the baking process. The dispenser realeases them at the right time. The only problem we've had with it in the 2 years or so we had it was that the raisin dispenser broke, but we could easily order a replacement from Panasonic.

It's not cheap though. I paid about £100 for it.

There's nothing like the smell of fresh bread baked in your own kitchen. Mmmmmmmmmmmm I can smell it now.

Enuff
05-01-2006, 16:41
One thing to watch out for, is that if any container used to store bread has had any go mouldy, it must be thoroughly cleaned out (boiling water if possible), as otherwise any spores left behind will be able to infect a new fresh loaf really quickly.I wondered where that green fury wall came from behind my bread bin :D

Nugget
05-01-2006, 16:45
I wondered where that green fury wall came from behind my bread bin :D

Well, I'd be pretty angry if I got mouldy bread! I don't think I'd go green though :disturbd: :p:

Angua
05-01-2006, 19:03

Freeze your bread on the day of purchase and only take out the amount you will need each day (a bread roll does not take long to defrost). Just remember to keep your de-frosting bread wrapped up until required or it will go all hard and chewy.

Maggy
05-01-2006, 19:47
Freeze your bread on the day of purchase and only take out the amount you will need each day (a bread roll does not take long to defrost). Just remember to keep your de-frosting bread wrapped up until required or it will go all hard and chewy.

Only works if the bread is fresh THAT day.Unfortunately it's not always told to you when the bread was made...only the use by date.:(

Angua
05-01-2006, 20:58
Only works if the bread is fresh THAT day.Unfortunately it's not always told to you when the bread was made...only the use by date.:(

True, and it never works with french style bread (of whatever shape and size). :(

Enuff
06-01-2006, 00:55
I'm trying to give it up, I am a bread addict, have atleast 3 rounds with my tea... I mainly eat healthy bread, but didnt they also used to make glue out of flour and water? :Yikes:

Chris
31-10-2006, 16:13
:bump:

:D

I was just wondering whether those who bought bread makers around the time this thread was started (or indeed because this thread was started) are still using them?

Ours had its first real break this summer, mainly because our family routine changed quite a lot and it just kept getting forgotten. But there is a fresh loaf in our kitchen today. Yum! :drool:

I actually wanted to bump the original breadmaker thread from yonks ago, but I can't find it and now I have a feeling it may actually have been posted on nthw.com! :Yikes: I've been here too long ...

altis
31-10-2006, 16:20
We have the Panny SD-253 too. Had it for years and it's still used almost daily. At the time we bought it, I remember it was Which? recommended but I'm not sure if it still is.

CycoSymz
31-10-2006, 17:36

I use "Wrights" Bread mix, you get excellent results all the time, even on the 1 hour setting.

Mmmm, I love the smell of baking bread, first thing in the morning.

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-10-2006, 17:39
:bump:

:D

I was just wondering whether those who bought bread makers around the time this thread was started (or indeed because this thread was started) are still using them?

Ours had its first real break this summer, mainly because our family routine changed quite a lot and it just kept getting forgotten. But there is a fresh loaf in our kitchen today. Yum! :drool:

I actually wanted to bump the original breadmaker thread from yonks ago, but I can't find it and now I have a feeling it may actually have been posted on nthw.com! :Yikes: I've been here too long ...

yep we still use ours i think its about 5 years old now and looking like it too!

Scarey that i remember the thread your talking about, or was it this one http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=16144&highlight=bread

Chris
31-10-2006, 18:17
Ewww ... thanks for the reminder ... no, definitely not that thread. I searched for 'SD253' because I know we talked about it in the original. IIRC Orangebird was thinking of getting one in that original thread.

Am I really sad for remembering the contents of a thread that's more than three years old, on a forum that doesn't exist any more? :erm:

danielf
31-10-2006, 18:23
Ewww ... thanks for the reminder ... no, definitely not that thread. I searched for 'SD253' because I know we talked about it in the original. IIRC Orangebird was thinking of getting one in that original thread.

Am I really sad for remembering the contents of a thread that's more than three years old, on a forum that doesn't exist any more? :erm:

There was some discussion of breadmakers in here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15023) as well. Just over 2 years old :D

Edit: I think that may be the one you're after:

post 41, OB (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=260557&postcount=41)

How sad does that make me? :erm: :D

Chris
31-10-2006, 18:32
There was some discussion of breadmakers in here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=15023) as well. Just over 2 years old :D

Edit: I think that may be the one your after:

post 41, OB (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=260557&postcount=41)

How sad does that make me? :erm: :D

Never mind, we can just find some quiet corner of the web to sit in and gibber or something .... :disturbd: :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
31-10-2006, 19:00
Never mind, we can just find some quiet corner of the web to sit in and gibber or something .... :disturbd: :D

i'd be worried if i were you, remembering bread making theads, a layyydies desk, anything else you want to tell us ;)

CycoSymz
31-10-2006, 19:44
Just set my breadmaker going...1 hour till i get some lovely warm mixed grain bread. Yummy

Chris
31-10-2006, 19:55
We're having fish and chips for tea, and I'm looking forward to some chip butties made with this morning's loaf. :drool: :D

Hom3r
15-03-2007, 20:38
Its over a year since his thread was started, but I need advise.

I want a bread maker thats easy to use, but good quality/features.

last weekend I bought some brad mix added the water and had to kneed it yourself, it was delishious, so I want a BM to do the work for me, and let me wait for the goods

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

does a BM work out cheaper than buy a loaf

Chris
15-03-2007, 21:09
You can buy loaves for less than the cost of one made in a machine, but they won't taste nearly as good. A good machine makes top-notch bread.

And I believe the ever-popular Panasonic SD253 is still top of the pile.

altis
15-03-2007, 21:52
Our Panny is still working fine - touch wood!

danielf
15-03-2007, 22:19
Another vote for the Panny :tu: :)

Nugget
15-03-2007, 22:22
Our Panny is still working fine - touch wood!

There's a joke there somewhere, but I'm not willing to push my luck any further today :D

Halcyon
16-03-2007, 11:16
There is nothing like the smell of fresh bread when you wake up in the morning.

One of the other thing's that's great about these is you can chuck in whatever you want into the bread.....seeds, nuts, tomato, etc.

Hom3r
28-04-2007, 14:18
A woman at work has given me a Goodmans GHB 161a breadmaker.

I have a packet of packet of breadmix bought for Tesco (Wright's baking, I have have premuim white & chees & oinion bread mix)

Is it just a case of sticking the right amount of mix & water in the machine and selecting BAKE?

altis
28-04-2007, 14:57
Follow the instructions on the packet?

Here's a recipe for 50% wholemeal from our Panny manual:
1 tsp yeast
250g strong wholemeal flour
250g strong white flour
1.5 tbsp sugar (this sounds a lot, try 1.5 tsp)
25g butter
1.5 tbsp milk powder
1.5 tsp salt
360ml water

Hom3r
28-04-2007, 16:22

The instruction say use the book and I cannot see anything in the book about mixes.

Ramrod
28-04-2007, 17:58
How to use a breadmaker (http://www.recipesource.com/misc/hints/00/rec0045.html)......any good? :)

peanut
28-04-2007, 19:14

Here's a recipe for 50% wholemeal from our Panny manual:
1 tsp yeast
250g strong wholemeal flour
250g strong white flour
1.5 tbsp sugar (this sounds a lot, try 1.5 tsp)
25g butter
1.5 tbsp milk powder
1.5 tsp salt
360ml water

What settings is that for? Can you use it for rapid bake?

valor
28-04-2007, 19:59
Why not make your own bread the old fashion way, making bread is really easy, the hardest part is mixing and kneading. But if you have a food proccessor or better still a food mixer its even easier.
Use fresh yeast and not brewers yeast..which is the dried stuff...
Fresh yeast is easy to get hold of,it used to be hard to find.. but most supermarkets now sell fresh yeast.

altis
28-04-2007, 22:32
What settings is that for? Can you use it for rapid bake?

That's for the normal bake program. For rapid bake use 1.25 tsp of yeast. Everything else is the same.

jonbxx
30-04-2007, 08:04
Why not make your own bread the old fashion way, making bread is really easy, the hardest part is mixing and kneading. But if you have a food proccessor or better still a food mixer its even easier.
Use fresh yeast and not brewers yeast..which is the dried stuff...
Fresh yeast is easy to get hold of,it used to be hard to find.. but most supermarkets now sell fresh yeast.

Hear hear! It's so rewarding making it yourself. I have a bread maker but now make it manually. Kneading's a great way of working out out the frustrations of the day. I usually make 1 split tin and then about 20 little 1 1/2 inch rolls for my daughter who can get enough of them