PDA

View Full Version : Is my upload really that bad?

McDave
05-01-2006, 00:21
I like many users have been moved from the 300Kbps connection to the faster 1MB and I was pritty chuffed. Faster is always better in my opinion. Thank you NTL for making the internet go a little faster for me.

However, what happend to the uplaod? I manage a few websites and when it comes to uploading a few files its sooo slow takes ages to even uplaod one or two images, uplaod speed neaver goes above 16kbps. It seems slower than it used to be on 300K. Why is it not faster?

Please NTL, I don't even use p2p or bitTorrent.

bobna
05-01-2006, 00:31
the 1mb connection only has a 100kbps upload so the fastest your ever gonna get from it is about 16kbps at the most, lucky to even get that, should only have been 12.5kbps

McDave
05-01-2006, 01:30
What I don't understand is that on the 300Kb connection we got the same upload

XFS03
05-01-2006, 11:02
the 1mb connection only has a 100kbps upload so the fastest your ever gonna get from it is about 16kbps at the most, lucky to even get that, should only have been 12.5kbpsNot trying to be pedantic, but it gets very confusing when you use the same abbreviation for bits and bytes.

B = bytes & b = bits.

A 100kbps connection should give around 12kB/s

bobna
05-01-2006, 13:15
Not trying to be pedantic, but it gets very confusing when you use the same abbreviation for bits and bytes.

B = bytes & b = bits.

A 100kbps connection should give around 12kB/s

many people don't know the differance between bits and bytes so i just type as i think people will understand it,
absolutly no need for your post, unless just to bump your post count up !!!!

XFS03
06-01-2006, 18:05
many people don't know the differance between bits and bytes so i just type as i think people will understand it...I think most people do know the difference between bits & Bytes. It's the correct abbreviation that many people get wrong.
...absolutly no need for your post, unless just to bump your post count up !!!!I posted because so many times we see confusion on these forums by members using the wrong abbreviation. Then that creates more posts saying "did you mean bits or Bytes?".

I have got no reason whatsoever to bump my post count by 1.

patrickp
07-01-2006, 00:02
I quite agree, XFS03, the confusion between bits and bytes causes a great deal of confusion, in this forum and elsewhere, and you're quite right to point it out.

bobna, I'd also say that accusing a fellow forum member of making a post just to bump his post count is shabby, particularly when his point is as appropriate as it is.

---------- Post added at 00:02 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:53 ----------

McDave, what you're experiencing is the fact that broadband connections are usually asymmetric (the A in ADSL). In fact, although on the 1Mb, 2Mb and 3Mb tiers the upload speeds are 100Kbps, 200Kbps and 300Kbps respectively, the 10Mb service is only 512Kbps - proportionately about half that of the lower speeds.

You'll find that ADSL over a 'phone line as offered by non-cable ISPs is similarly limited.

wasted.d
07-01-2006, 00:05
getting a bit of the point here arent we hehe,
Mc dave, ur upload speed would appear to be correct, even a bit better than expected.

McDave
07-01-2006, 01:13
Thanks everyone its good to know,

But still why is it that poor? It seems a little unfair.

wasted.d
07-01-2006, 02:52
that would be 1 you would have to ask ntl, but if u wish to have a faster upload maybe the 2mb serivce would be better suited to you. Tho that is a bit more expensive. :)

Graham M
07-01-2006, 03:18
1MBit Service - 100kbps upload 12.5kB/s
2MBit Service - 200kbps upload 25kB/s
3MBit Service - 300kbps upload 37.5kB/s
10MBit Service - 512kbps upload 64kB/s

You get what you pay for! I dont see how it's in any way unfair... Because of the technicalities of Cable, it is harder to provide a faster upload speed because of the way the protocols and hardware works so thus more expensive for the ISP and hence the consumer.

patrickp
08-01-2006, 00:18
And you'll get similar ratios with most ADSL ISPs. Even when we used to be on dialup, upload was only half download speed. Such is life.